5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

75Jimmy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, 2020 Crew Cab Rebel owner here - build date Oct 2019. From the day I bought my truck, the rear window frame had a mark on it that looked like it had a microscope crack or was on the verge of cracking. Well, temps hit the 30s last night and we have had days of rain (not typical in SoCal), and this morning when I went out to the truck to grab something I noticed the interior of the truck was very humid. Felt around and noticed the rear driver side corner of my headliner was damp, then noticed that the stress mark was in fact now a crack. I called the dealer and was told to wait until Monday to bring the truck in, so in an effort to not have my $60k Rebel smell like mold, I took the heat gun out and dried the headliner. In doing that, the light heat (less than 100 degrees F at the site of the crack) seemed to cause the plastic window frame to expand and make the crack visibly disappear. So, I took some compressed air and got the frame cold again, and the crack was back. So, what I've gathered from this experiment was that the plastic used to make the window frames has considerable expansion/contraction properties in typical environmental temps. Far too much for something that should be glued in place and stationary on a vehicle. The manufacturer needs to utilize a different polymer that is more robust to environmental temperature changes.

Now, what I'd like to know, is why do all of our window frames crack in the same location?
IMG_0007.jpeg

Last edited:

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone, 2020 Crew Cab Rebel owner here - build date Oct 2019. From the day I bought my truck, the rear window frame had a mark on it that looked like it had a microscope crack or was on the verge of cracking. Well, temps hit the 30s last night and we have had days of rain (not typical in SoCal), and this morning when I went out to the truck to grab something I noticed the interior of the truck was very humid. Felt around and noticed the rear driver side corner of my headliner was damp, then noticed that the stress mark was in fact now a crack. I called the dealer and was told to wait until Monday to bring the truck in, so in an effort to not have my $60k Rebel smell like mold, I took the heat gun out and dried the headliner. In doing that, the light heat (less than 100 degrees F at the site of the crack) seemed to cause the plastic window frame to expand and make the crack visibly disappear. So, I took some compressed air and got the frame cold again, and the crack was back. So, what I've gathered from this experiment was that the plastic used to make the window frames has considerable expansion/contraction properties in typical environmental temps. Far too much for something that should be glued in place and stationary on a vehicle. The manufacturer needs to utilize a different polymer that is more robust to environmental temperature changes.

Now, what I'd like to know, is why do all of our window frames crack in the same location?
View attachment 52117
So, if understand you correctly, you have the cracks, but the wet area appeared in the driver side corner of the headliner? Why not near the cracks?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 52117
the cracks are in the same place for everyone because of the mold line in the plastic, plus its also a high stress area on either side of the sliding glass mechanism. Check your 3rd brake light gasket. If the cracks were the cause of the leak you'd have water coming from the cracks and not the sides of the cab. Also, if you have a sunroof, that might be the culprit as well. If you hop into the truck bed, and look in the gap between glass and cab, and if you see cracks there then thats the source. If no cracks on the exterior, then that's not what is leaking. I have cracks on the interior, but none on the outside, and I've been dry. putting a small bead of RTV in the areas on the outside, opposite side of where the cracks are in the interior would solve the cracks as being a source of leaks. Personally I don't think I'd trust the dealer to swap the glass considering the amount of collateral damage it may cause. I've ordered a few aftermarket windshield seals that might work too, just waiting for them to come in. I'm also going to try squeezing in a 3/16" or maybe a 1/4" silicon tube in the gap between glass and cab and run it along the complete top of the glass which will should seal the area too. The tension of the tube between the glass and frame would easily keep water out.

Last edited:

75Jimmy

Reaction score
the cracks are in the same place for everyone because of the mold line in the plastic, plus its also a high stress area on either side of the sliding glass mechanism. Check your 3rd brake light gasket. If the cracks were the cause of the leak you'd have water coming from the cracks and not the sides of the cab. Also, if you have a sunroof, that might be the culprit as well. If you hop into the truck bed, and look in the gap between glass and cab, and if you see cracks there then thats the source. If no cracks on the exterior, then that's not what is leaking. I have cracks on the interior, but none on the outside, and I've been dry. putting a small bead of RTV in the areas on the outside, opposite side of where the cracks are in the interior would solve the cracks as being a source of leaks. Personally I don't think I'd trust the dealer to swap the glass considering the amount of collateral damage it may cause. I've ordered a few aftermarket windshield seals that might work too, just waiting for them to come in. I'm also going to try squeezing in a 3/16" or maybe a 1/4" silicon tube in the gap between glass and cab and run it along the complete top of the glass which will should seal the area too. The tension of the tube between the glass and frame would easily keep water out.
I removed the third brake light and looked around but didn’t see anything obvious; but to be fair I was rushing. I’ll take another look tomorrow. I was thinking about just sealing everything up with RTV and hoping for the best. But I’m not about to accept a cracked frame as normal for what these trucks cost. I do have the sunroof. I’ll have to check that out tomorrow too.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the third brake light and looked around but didn’t see anything obvious; but to be fair I was rushing. I’ll take another look tomorrow. I was thinking about just sealing everything up with RTV and hoping for the best. But I’m not about to accept a cracked frame as normal for what these trucks cost. I do have the sunroof. I’ll have to check that out tomorrow too.
I'm not convinced that the replacement ones are any better, but I don't think anyone who has had it replaced has had trouble with the new ones but it might be too soon to tell. I don't think anyone who had the cracks had water coming in elsewhere because of the cracks. The photos that you see in this thread all show water coming out of the cracks, if the crack went all the way to the outside.

steindog

Reaction score

View attachment 52117
My crack and leak is in that location.

whetrick1

Reaction score

View attachment 52117

My Crack was about 1" from the sliding glass window on the driver's side. And was dripping on the top of the rear seat. My headliner never did get wet. They took it to the glass doctor and they replaced the rear window. They also messed up some interior plastic and put 3deep scratches in the paint under the passengers rear door. The dodge dealership took care of the damage. But I told them I wouldn't take another truck to them after that. But they told me that was who had the contract to replace the rear windows for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I had to run out and check mine...no crack yet . I will def keep an eye on it.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Crack was about 1" from the sliding glass window on the driver's side. And was dripping on the top of the rear seat. My headliner never did get wet. They took it to the glass doctor and they replaced the rear window. They also messed up some interior plastic and put 3deep scratches in the paint under the passengers rear door. The dodge dealership took care of the damage. But I told them I wouldn't take another truck to them after that. But they told me that was who had the contract to replace the rear windows for them.

It appears to be a common practice now to employ subcontractor glass companies to do in and out-of-warranty auto glass replacement. All the dealers in my area do the same.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031690 miles.

Brrryan

Reaction score

I have the same mentality on the repair, man. Obviously the cracks are unacceptable, but if a replacement leaves me with damage to the surrounding parts and the possibility of another leaking window in xxxx miles, I’d rather just seal it myself and deal with the crack. Finally noticed mine at 20k miles and have been keeping an eye on this thread for some successful RTV applications.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I have the same mentality on the repair, man. Obviously the cracks are unacceptable, but if a replacement leaves me with damage to the surrounding parts and the possibility of another leaking window in xxxx miles, I’d rather just seal it myself and deal with the crack. Finally noticed mine at 20k miles and have been keeping an eye on this thread for some successful RTV applications.

I guess I could have taped off the window and bought some liquid rtv in a quart can and poured it in the seam and leat it flow out into the taped off area and see if it would have sealed it up.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Chevy/GMC owners are having t
I guess I could have taped off the window and bought some liquid rtv in a quart can and poured it in the seam and leat it flow out into the taped off area and see if it would have sealed it up.

RTV would solve it for sure. There's also a liquid silicon windshield sealer by permatex that will seep into cracks. Claims its compatible with plastic, rubber, etc. that can seal between glass and glass gasket. But honestly, if you tape off the top edge of the glass and the cab, and lay an RTV bead in there, then smooth it out to be level with the top edge of the glass there, there would be no way for water to find its way in. You would never even see the RTV bead. IMHO it's better to dance with the devil I know vs the devil I don't. Who knows, the replacement glass could indeed be worse.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If and when mine cracks, from what I’ve seen you can remove the 3rd brake light and see the crack on the outside. So I’ll fill the crack with silicone so it doesn’t leak into the cab and be done with it. I can live with a crack but won’t live with a water leak. I don’t want anyone messing my truck up to replace a window that may crack again. So I’ll “fix” it myself.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If and when mine cracks, from what I’ve seen you can remove the 3rd brake light and see the crack on the outside. So I’ll fill the crack with silicone so it doesn’t leak into the cab and be done with it. I can live with a crack but won’t live with a water leak. I don’t want anyone messing my truck up to replace a window that may crack again. So I’ll “fix” it myself.
Can you please cite your reference that clearly states that if you can see the frame cracks that if you remove the third brake light you can see the cracks. I am skeptical about this. If true, then you should be able to remove the third brake light and see the frame any time. Does that make sense? If anything, if you remove the third brake light, what you should see is a bead of sealant between the cab and glass?

ddharris

Reaction score
I had my rear window replaced. I got lucky with no damage and no further leaks. I can still see the same areas of concern on the new one. Just hope it doesn't crack again.

Beatle9999

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie, picked it up last October. Noticed the crack couple of weeks ago. I have 5500 miles. I should still be covered right?? I’m gonna call the dealer this coming week.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie, picked it up last October. Noticed the crack couple of weeks ago. I have 5500 miles. I should still be covered right?? I’m gonna call the dealer this coming week.
Do have any signs of leaking, such as wet carpet or headliner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online