5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I heard back from the dealer.

They recommend resealing the rear window but they're waiting to hear back from FCA to see how they want to handle it. I should find out next week how they would like to proceed. I went and picked up my truck at lunch and as I'm driving back to work I notice that my driver's side-view mirror is now tinted yellow. It definitely wasn't like that when I dropped it off this morning. I am guessing that the heating element has failed, and now the outline of the element is visible underneath the mirror glass. I already had the passenger side mirror replaced a while back because it was basically falling apart.

I really like my truck, but it's also been a very frustrating ownership experience for me so far. At this point, if somebody were to ask me if I recommend buying a RAM, I would honestly have to say that I do not.

Between the horrible HVAC system, the poor body panel fit-up, the leaking rear window, the moaning and squealing brakes, etc., the list goes on and on...

View attachment 45958 View attachment 45959
I heard back about the back window already. FCA approved the replacement. Part will be in next week. No word on the sideview mirror but I can't think of any reason that it wouldn't also be covered.

illucid

Reaction score
Okay, you have the cracks, do you also have leaks now as well? Have you tested by either having rain or with another source of water?
I've seen a couple drops of water but nothing substantial yet. Will be asking the dealer to replace with updated window regardless. Not going to wait for it to start leaking bad.

GARebel19

Reaction score
I looked at mine a month or so ago and didn't notice anything so I thought I was in the clear. Looked again a couple days ago and noticed the plastic looked stressed on the top in a couple area. Put a light on it at an angle and you can see the crack. My build date is 5/2019. Probably wait until the crack is really obvious before going to the dealer.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heading in Wednesday for a leak and now the window crack.. left Ford cause of ****ty quality and less than a month in RAM dealing with the same ****..

Attachments

• 20200207_153419.jpg
    20200207_153419.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 75

GARebel19

Reaction score
That's exactly where my stress marks are on each side of the center window. What problems did you have with your Ford? I came really close to getting an F150 when I decided on the Rebel. So far this is my only problem with the truck.

Rick3019

Reaction score
Add me to the list I have two cracks at 6200 miles May have opened the window six times dealer said he has not heard of an updated version that there are six part numbers and they’re all interchangeable He said maybe different vendors that all they can do is order from the warehouse and he does not know how long the window has set at the warehouse he said I am getting the Number ending in AE He said I will be the third one that they have done now. None of this makes sense they know they have a problem and they won’t inform us of the solution

Attachments

• B28B2F10-4BB1-4FB8-936A-12915B24A1B6.png
    B28B2F10-4BB1-4FB8-936A-12915B24A1B6.png
    707.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 79D722A2-30C1-43BA-B93C-FFECD1E41BDB.png
    79D722A2-30C1-43BA-B93C-FFECD1E41BDB.png
    666.1 KB · Views: 75

ddharris

Reaction score
The dealership called me and asked me to come in so they can take pictures of the crack. Apparently FCA flagged the repair and needs photo proof of the crack. I will let everyone know how this goes.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have to assume that if FCA identified a problem with an item that they purchase from a vendor they would make them fix it, no? It doesn’t make sense for them to replace a known bad part with another known bad part and just hope and pray that it doesn’t fail again, right? If the new window leaks I’m going to be pretty pi$$ed.

Last edited:

RAM/Cudaowner

Reaction score
Add me to the list I have two cracks at 6200 miles May have opened the window six times dealer said he has not heard of an updated version that there are six part numbers and they’re all interchangeable He said maybe different vendors that all they can do is order from the warehouse and he does not know how long the window has set at the warehouse he said I am getting the Number ending in AE He said I will be the third one that they have done now. None of this makes sense they know they have a problem and they won’t inform us of the solution
That is about the Milage I had when I noticed mine.

steindog

Reaction score
I'm in the crack/leak club and luckily keep it under a cover and only verified the problem due to reading about it here. Thanks! Has anyone who's already replaced had a recurrence?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's exactly where my stress marks are on each side of the center window. What problems did you have with your Ford? I came really close to getting an F150 when I decided on the Rebel. So far this is my only problem with the truck.
Had a 2017 Limited F150: both power running boards seized (at separate times), oil pan leaking (took 4 different oil pans to finally fix), passenger seat stopped operating literally on the way home from the dealership, entire rear had to be rebuilt due to grunting / clunking at 12k miles, they gouged both 22" rear wheels when they did it and had to fight to get them to replace them, various trim piece delaminated and had to be replaced, water pump went at 20k'ish miles, sun roof rattle / clunked / leaked.. those they fixed.. then the cam phasers went at 34k miles and I had enough...

I babied the **** out of that truck too..

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have to assume that if FCA identified a problem with an item that they purchase from a vendor they would make them fix it, no? It doesn’t make sense for them to replace a known bad part with another known bad part and just hope and pray that it doesn’t fail again, right? If the new window leaks I’m going to be pretty pi$$ed.

Got my rear window replacement approved under warranty on Friday (7th of Feb). There are now at least 6 part numbers for the window so they have done some kind of redesign. There is a AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, and AG. Make sure you are getting the part ending in AE, AF, or AG for replacement.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got my rear window replacement approved under warranty on Friday (7th of Feb). There are now at least 6 part numbers for the window so they have done some kind of redesign. There is a AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, and AG. Make sure you are getting the part ending in AF or AG for replacement.
Ok, thanks. Do you know for sure that AF/ AG actually addreses the issue?

Mine was also approved on Friday, so hopefully it's the latest Rev. I will definitely ask them. They said it should be in by the end of the week. In the meantime, it's raining again today so I drove my other car to work today. I don't have any stains on my headliner and I want to keep it that way.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Do you know for sure that AF/ AG actually addreses the issue?

Mine was also approved on Friday, so hopefully it's the latest Rev. I will definitely ask them. They said it should be in by the end of the week. In the meantime, it's raining again today so I drove my other car to work today. I don't have any stains on my headliner and I want to keep it that way.

Service Advisor already called and said the new window is in. I'm having it installed on Thursday. He did not offer any assurances that the new part is any different then the old one. He will ask the Service Manager.

Rick3019

Reaction score
Got my rear window replacement approved under warranty on Friday (7th of Feb). There are now at least 6 part numbers for the window so they have done some kind of redesign. There is a AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, and AG. Make sure you are getting the part ending in AE, AF, or AG for replacement.
JJRamTX i’m a little confused One of your post say AE is OK the other does not include AE. I am getting a AE Installed tomorrow

Attachments

• 0FA538DB-40C5-4689-8C7A-367F9BEEEEC0.png
    0FA538DB-40C5-4689-8C7A-367F9BEEEEC0.png
    271.7 KB · Views: 56
  • E48876D4-BE8D-466A-B9F9-2E9880D5198B.png
    E48876D4-BE8D-466A-B9F9-2E9880D5198B.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 55

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
JJRamTX i’m a little confused One of your post say AE is OK the other does not include AE. I am getting a AE Installed tomorrow

I missed AE on the first post so I edited it. AE, AF, and AG are supposed to be a new design. I believe the three parts are (AF non-power sliding with defrost), (AE power sliding without defrost), and (AG power sliding with defrost.)

Last edited:

upwindstorm

Reaction score
add me to the leaking window club.. had the entire window replaced last friday. took about 6 hours. no more leaks hopefully

RamCrack.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread