5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

derp

Reaction score
Just checked mine and I have 1 crack in the frame, December 2018 build. I don't have any leaks. In a way I'd rather the truck get swallowed by the ocean than deal with any of the service departments in my area.
I'll be right next to you at the end of the pier.

GARebel19

Reaction score
Had a 2017 Limited F150: both power running boards seized (at separate times), oil pan leaking (took 4 different oil pans to finally fix), passenger seat stopped operating literally on the way home from the dealership, entire rear had to be rebuilt due to grunting / clunking at 12k miles, they gouged both 22" rear wheels when they did it and had to fight to get them to replace them, various trim piece delaminated and had to be replaced, water pump went at 20k'ish miles, sun roof rattle / clunked / leaked.. those they fixed.. then the cam phasers went at 34k miles and I had enough...

I babied the **** out of that truck too..
Well I would be pissed too if I had that many problems with any truck.

Scjon03

Reaction score
FCA approved my repair. Dealer Said takes a couple of days or so to get my new window in. Hopefully get this done soon.

Update. Took 48 hours for FCA to approve the repair and the window came in the next day. Schedule to change out the window on the 19th. So hopefully they won’t screw it up or damage anything else.

Last edited:

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drove in, they took pics, said to take the truck home, and they would call me with ETA when FCA approves the repair.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is done. P/N ending in AC. It's raining out now. So far, no leaks!! The new one has the same faint lines right where they tend to crack.

On a side note, now I know why these trucks come with two glove boxes. One is for the manual, registration, insurance card, etc., and the other one (the larger one) is to store all the Service invoices. I'm already running out of room in mine.

Attachments

• 20200213_125735.jpg
    20200213_125735.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is done. P/N ending in AC. It's raining out now. So far, no leaks!! The new one has the same faint lines right where they tend to crack.

On a side note, now I know why these trucks come with two glove boxes. One is for the manual, registration, insurance card, etc., and the other one (the larger one) is to store all the Service invoices. I'm already running out of room in mine.
One thing that I have noticed is that the new sliding window operates much quieter than the old one. I can barely hear anything at all when I open and close it. Not sure what, if anything, is different. It looks identical to the original.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing that I have noticed is that the new sliding window operates much quieter than the old one. I can barely hear anything at all when I open and close it. Not sure what, if anything, is different. It looks identical to the original.
Were you able to get any pictures of the old frame after removal and the new frame before it went in? Did anyone offer to tell you why it was leaking?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Were you able to get any pictures of the old frame after removal and the new frame before it went in? Did anyone offer to tell you why it was leaking?
No, they sent it out to a 3rd party glass shop. I just dropped it off at the dealership in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. They played dumb like they never heard of this issue before, but the shuttle van driver told me that he’s given a lot of 1500 owners rides while their back windows were being done.

Wjm1776

Reaction score
Well, I bought my 2019 used Ram Rebel last week. Took it through the car wash today, and I have the rear window leak... I bought the truck 6 hours away and called the selling dealership and they said to take it to a local dealership to see if they will fix it.. It turned over 36K on the way home from the dealership when I bought it.... I have an appointment Monday.. fingers crossed..

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I bought my 2019 used Ram Rebel last week. Took it through the car wash today, and I have the rear window leak... I bought the truck 6 hours away and called the selling dealership and they said to take it to a local dealership to see if they will fix it.. It turned over 36K on the way home from the dealership when I bought it.... I have an appointment Monday.. fingers crossed..
Whoa. That’s a tough spot to be in. I wish you luck. If anything, the selling dealership should take care of it.

derp

Reaction score
if not, let us know how the RTV/Silicone overlay on the crack outside works to stop the intrusion.

it's a real crap hand you've been dealt for sure.

I'd kick in 5 bucks towards your repair out of sympathy alone.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely tough spot. My fear would once local dealer documents milage and if they deny repair it may make that much harder to do anything with the milage and repair denial documented with FCA.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score

That's a sucky situation. Without trying to sound harsh..... Never buy a used vehicle that is about to go out of warranty. In your example, the original owner probably new the truck had issues, and traded it in, just before it rolled over 36K miles.

derp

Reaction score
That's a sucky situation. Without trying to sound harsh..... Never buy a used vehicle that is about to go out of warranty. In your example, the original owner probably new the truck had issues, and traded it in, just before it rolled over 36K miles.
or if you really wanna go there, try for CPO with an extended bumper to bumper warranty.

I think the warranty generally isn't worth the same area of used toilet paper, but I really despise my local service centers. my 3rd party shop is so much better.

Wjm1776

Reaction score
Giving an update on my post above. Thank you for everyone’s suggestions. I did reach out to RamCares directly on this forum and they were very helpful. I also phoned FCA and was able to start a case with them for some assistance. Both my selling dealership and local dealership were attempting to push the issue back and forth and on to the other.. (Which I would expect.)
The good news is I was able to get FCA to approve my window replacement with only a small co-pay on my end. I was then able to get the selling dealer to pay that co-pay...
So now I just wait for the parts to come in and hope to God that it fixes the problem for good..
Just wanted to share a positive note on this.

illucid

Reaction score
My window replacement was also just approved by FCA. Hope they actually have a new model window that wont crack again. Not a lot of faith...

ddharris

Reaction score
Not going to lie. Just had mine done yesterday and can still see the areas that look like mold lines ( both ends of the slider)or whatever in the same exact place as before. Dealership says part number was different. We shall see what happens.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not going to lie. Just had mine done yesterday and can still see the areas that look like mold lines ( both ends of the slider)or whatever in the same exact place as before. Dealership says part number was different. We shall see what happens.

Hey ddharris,

Please do not hesitate to send us a private message if you are in need of any additional support down the road.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online