5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No visible cracks on the inside. I feel like I caught it early because my headliner does not have any stains on it either. I have also been checking it every time I wash my truck too. This is the first time I have ever noticed any water.
I’d be curious to know what percentage of vehicles don’t have the crack.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I assume that there is a crack but it just hasn't made it all the way around to the inside.

I will see what they say tomorrow and update the thread. Hoping they actually look into it and don't just throw a new third brake light at it.

tonyplants

Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for leaks ever since I saw this thread.

No visible cracks on mine, although there are faint lines present in the suspect locations.

Up until today, I felt lucky.

Then on the drive in to work this morning, this........

View attachment 45886 View attachment 45887

Build Date: 05/21/2018
Purchase Date: 10/11/2018
Miles: ~16,000

I have an appointment tomorrow.
Very close with me, built 8/8/18, took delivery mid Nov/18. Had rear slider replaced couple months ago.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

That would depend on if this is a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw for the vendor who made these windows. This vendor also makes these windows for GM, and they are also have huge problems with this, so suspect its a design flaw.

So it's probably a question of when your window will crack. I'm hoping mine last long enough to get a revised window design instead of what I'm suspecting are just the original design windows using to make repairs now, but only to crack again.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would depend on if this is a design flaw or a manufacturing flaw for the vendor who made these windows. This vendor also makes these windows for GM, and they are also have huge problems with this, so suspect its a design flaw.

So it's probably a question of when your window will crack. I'm hoping mine last long enough to get a revised window design instead of what I'm suspecting are just the original design windows using to make repairs now, but only to crack again.
I agree. Hate to have mine swapped with the same defective design.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I agree. Hate to have mine swapped with the same defective design.

Especially with them breaking so early on some trucks. I don't like doing invasive procedures on my vehicle, so once is already enough. I think it's related to how often you open and close your rear slider and how often your chassis is stressed, like off-roading for example that will slowly crack that area.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Especially with them breaking so early on some trucks. I don't like doing invasive procedures on my vehicle, so once is already enough. I think it's related to how often you open and close your rear slider and how often your chassis is stressed, like off-roading for example that will slowly crack that area.
No doubt off-roading stresses it.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's no way that opening the window should be stressing it enough to break it. They've had rear sliding windows on trucks for a long time. I'm hoping that the issue has been addressed and the new window doesnt fail again. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of waiting for a redesign, which probably isn't coming anyway. Fingers crossed. We shall see what happens. If they ultimately replace the window and the new one leaks, I will RTV the area around the enclosure like someone on here previously suggested.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
There's no way that opening the window should be stressing it enough to break it. They've had rear sliding windows on trucks for a long time. I'm hoping that the issue has been addressed and the new window doesnt fail again. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of waiting for a redesign, which probably isn't coming anyway. Fingers crossed. We shall see what happens. If they ultimately replace the window and the new one leaks, I will RTV the area around the enclosure like someone on here previously suggested.

I would agree, but these plastic frames look to be more susceptible to even sliding the window back and forth. Though I suspect the main issue is the body movement on the frame.

We have GM vehicles as well and I've been monitoring the rear slider leak on the new Silverado/Sierra forums as well. It's a pretty big thread now, the vendor appears to be the same FCA uses as well. However they originally thought their leaks were due to not enough sealant, but after a couple of weeks they would leak again. They now realize they are actually cracking.

So based on that, the sealant may work for a short time, but apparently water will work it's way around. What's weird is the GM trucks slider leaks are towards the very outer top corners, whereas the RAMs they are a little closer to the middle.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been waiting on approval for over 2 months now and now the other side of the slider also has a crack. No leaks yet so I am crossing my fingers. Glad I saw the new part numbers ending in AF and AG. I will insist on a AF or AG depending on whether the difference is the tinting or not.

illucid

Reaction score
Build date June 18/18. Owned since July 29/18 - currently 50000km
Have been following this issue for a long while now and checking my back window periodically for cracks. Nothing... .........................up until today FML 20200206_152955.jpg

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Have been following this issue for a long while now and checking my back window periodically for cracks. Nothing... .........................up until today FML View attachment 45925

That sucks, but at least you are still under warranty. You were able to get over 30,000 miles before your crack, some trucks didn't make it beyond 1,000 miles.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sitting at the dealership now. The Service Manager has never seen one leak around the frame before, only from the 3rd brake light. I told him it is a well documented issue and showed him this thread. He said "oh".

As luck would have it, its raining again today and the leak is present.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have been following this issue for a long while now and checking my back window periodically for cracks. Nothing... .........................up until today FML View attachment 45925
Okay, you have the cracks, do you also have leaks now as well? Have you tested by either having rain or with another source of water?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sitting at the dealership now. The Service Manager has never seen one leak around the frame before, only from the 3rd brake light. I told him it is a well documented issue and showed him this thread. He said "oh".

Would it be possible for you to get some good closeup pictures of the new window before it is installed? Particularly can you see if the plastic frame that keeps cracking is even part of the sealing surface to the truck can?

Shmannion13

Reaction score
So I was driving with family in the rain the other day and was told by my passenger the rear window was leaking. I take the truck in and they scheduled an appointment. While I was looking at it I noticed a crack in the top plastic window surround called the service advisor who said he thought it was supposed to be like that. I go see a friends and notice not crack. Took the truck back in today and the parts manager then comes looks at it and says oh yeah that’s not normal. And we will probably have to order an entire new rear window. What is going on with the quality control with Ram these days.
The guy that does the hammer down Motorsports channel on YouTube had the same crack in his 2019 rebel it obviously a problem they have. I need to check mine

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So I heard back from the dealer.

They recommend resealing the rear window but they're waiting to hear back from FCA to see how they want to handle it. I should find out next week how they would like to proceed. I went and picked up my truck at lunch and as I'm driving back to work I notice that my driver's side-view mirror is now tinted yellow. It definitely wasn't like that when I dropped it off this morning. I am guessing that the heating element has failed, and now the outline of the element is visible underneath the mirror glass. I already had the passenger side mirror replaced a while back because it was basically falling apart.

I really like my truck, but it's also been a very frustrating ownership experience for me so far. At this point, if somebody were to ask me if I recommend buying a RAM, I would honestly have to say that I do not.

Between the horrible HVAC system, the poor body panel fit-up, the leaking rear window, the moaning and squealing brakes, etc., the list goes on and on...

20200207_130045.jpg 20200207_130055.jpg

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The guy that does the hammer down Motorsports channel on YouTube had the same crack in his 2019 rebel it obviously a problem they have. I need to check mine

Yup, though his happened right around 3,000 miles for Hammerdown.

Yet the guys at TFL truck has theirs for a whole year and heavy off-roading and no mention of it there. Plenty of long-term testers in magazine fleets, haven't seen a mention there. I'm going to ping Snowcat SRT and see if he had the issue yet.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would it be possible for you to get some good closeup pictures of the new window before it is installed? Particularly can you see if the plastic frame that keeps cracking is even part of the sealing surface to the truck can?
I will see what I can do when/if it gets to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread