5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

tonyplants

Reaction score
I had mine replaced in October today I find it leaking. Don’t know if there is a revised part or is this the newest one.
Don, so your original one was replaced and your replacement is leaking? Is it cracked too? I've had mine replaced also with the AC part number.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

donusaf

Reaction score
Don, so your original one was replaced and your replacement is leaking? Is it cracked too? I've had mine replaced also with the AC part number.

Yeah it was replaced due to the rear window rattle. tonight I went out there and noticed my headliner wet. It was to dark to look for cracks. I will check tomorrow for cracks. It has some faint lines what i seen that looks like where the cracks form.

derp

Reaction score
Yeah it was replaced due to the rear window rattle. tonight I went out there and noticed my headliner wet. It was to dark to look for cracks. I will check tomorrow for cracks. It has some faint lines what i seen that looks like where the cracks form.
cqycASh.jpg

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I Have 1 1/16" in the Center,1 " above the pillars, and 3/8 on the Ends.
What is your Build Date?
Mine is May,2019
I am Certain my old one is different from this one.
These are my old Window Pics.
My build date is December 2018.

ddharris

Reaction score
It's possible that could be third brake light also.

Ataboyrebel

Reaction score
Tonnyplants and donusaf this what I found... Don’t know what to thing about this except that is a redesign on is 3rd revision. So, maybe the old part number with EA on the end are already obsolete!

Attachments

• 4FBE25BE-9DD5-49BB-8BDE-37103F30B84A.png
    4FBE25BE-9DD5-49BB-8BDE-37103F30B84A.png
    168.4 KB · Views: 94

Ataboyrebel

Reaction score
And this is probably why some already notice shape and size difference... maybe!

donusaf

Reaction score
Tonnyplants and donusaf this what I found... Don’t know what to thing about this except that is a redesign on is 3rd revision. So, maybe the old part number with EA on the end are already obsolete!
I don’t know if that’s the actual picture but they are different. Look on the power sliding window the electrical connection is lower on the older one than the newer one.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Don, Ok, so yours was replaced for rattle, not cracks or leaks. 3 weeks ago (about a couple months after getting the rear slider replaced) I too had water on my headliner. They just replaced the third brake light-which I would push for, not just the TSB that retightens screws. Our issues seem very similar (new slider to fix rattle and cracks/leaks, then third brake light leak). My replacement slider has no signs of cracks and it appears to not be leaking, however it's cold again in Michigan with no rain anytime soon. I have run through touchless carwash a couple times with no visible leaks (not since third brake light replacement) from slider. Here's a couple pics of third breaklight leak and repair. It seems that dealers will either remove and re-tighten the screws IAW with existing TSB, or just replace the entire third brake fixture for what is being diagnosed as a "third break light leak". Why the third brake light started leaking after just over a year from taking delivery and getting rear slider replaced is beyond me.
b10baca6f5261d2307280a44cbb1257b.jpg
d8dd1f116f20390c05fbc0583494f0af.jpg

donusaf

Reaction score
Don, Ok, so yours was replaced for rattle, not cracks or leaks. 3 weeks ago (about a couple months after getting the rear slider replaced) I too had water on my headliner. They just replaced the third brake light-which I would push for, not just the TSB that retightens screws. Our issues seem very similar (new slider to fix rattle and cracks/leaks, then third brake light leak). My replacement slider has no signs of cracks and it appears to not be leaking, however it's cold again in Michigan with no rain anytime soon. I have run through touchless carwash a couple times with no visible leaks (not since third brake light replacement) from slider. Here's a couple pics of third breaklight leak and repair. It seems that dealers will either remove and re-tighten the screws IAW with existing TSB, or just replace the entire third brake fixture for what is being diagnosed as a "third break light leak". Why the third brake light started leaking after just over a year from taking delivery and getting rear slider replaced is beyond me.

Thanks for the information. I will inform the dealership that they need to look at the brake light. Your right on letting dealership retightning screws them people never use a torque wrench to repair a job. I’m just hoping it’s not the panoramic sunroof.

tonyplants

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I will inform the dealership that they need to look at the brake light. Your right on letting dealership retightning screws them people never use a torque wrench to repair a job. I’m just hoping it’s not the panoramic sunroof.
Seems most issues with Pano are the 2 drain tubes in back between cab and bed, and the front 2 between front door and quarter panels. These would appear as leaks (wet) on either front or rear floor carpet. The way to check those is to take a dry paper towel and push down on carpeting in suspect areas after heavy rain.

donusaf

Reaction score
I hosed the truck off today and didn’t see any visible leaks. After a little bit off time water started forming.

Attachments

• CE3B7506-EE32-4BC4-B6D8-AF2FB08867FE.jpeg
    CE3B7506-EE32-4BC4-B6D8-AF2FB08867FE.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 136
  • 0B822842-1E92-4A1A-BF34-A81B86516ABE.jpeg
    0B822842-1E92-4A1A-BF34-A81B86516ABE.jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 134

donusaf

Reaction score
Yeah dealership is putting a new light on order also a new rear camera and also they are going to do the tsb for for rear brake Moan

Ken Robbins

Reaction score

I went in for my appointment and told them I had a case number for the rear window assembly for the crack. I take it that's just your case number? They were great to deal with, but unfortunately I don't have an open case with FCA for this issue. I didn't realize this until I just got home and read the invoice. I guess that's my misunderstanding and now to sit back and let nature take it's course. LOL

When I showed them the crack, I also showed them how my left rear passenger door was out of alignment from factory. To my surprise when they gave me my truck back they perfectly aligned the door for me.

Attachments

• 20200204_155912.jpg
    20200204_155912.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 53

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my service advisor and explained about the misunderstanding with the case number. He said he'll fix it and not to worry about it, they'll get me taken care of.

I also bought a new Jeep from this dealer last year, but had a poor buying experience. I bought my Ram from a different dealer, but poor experience in their service department. I'm glad I gave them another chance as they're only 6 miles from my home where I bought the Jeep.

ddharris

Reaction score
I went in for my appointment and told them I had a case number for the rear window assembly for the crack. I take it that's just your case number? They were great to deal with, but unfortunately I don't have an open case with FCA for this issue. I didn't realize this until I just got home and read the invoice. I guess that's my misunderstanding and now to sit back and let nature take it's course. LOL

When I showed them the crack, I also showed them how my left rear passenger door was out of alignment from factory. To my surprise when they gave me my truck back they perfectly aligned the door for me.

I have no idea about case number.

Scjon03

Reaction score
Great... I have a crack on mine as well. I saw a Youtube video of someone talking about this. I blow it off and was like nah, not my truck because I'm not experiencing any leaks. Went out to my truck and yup, a nice crack. So off to the dealer I go.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for leaks ever since I saw this thread.

No visible cracks on mine, although there are faint lines present in the suspect locations.

Up until today, I felt lucky.

Then on the drive in to work this morning, this........

20200206_095634.jpg 20200206_100159.jpg

Build Date: 05/21/2018
Purchase Date: 10/11/2018
Miles: ~16,000

I have an appointment tomorrow.

Last edited:

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for leaks ever since I saw this thread.

No visible cracks on mine, although there are faint lines present in the suspect locations.

Up until today, I felt lucky.

Then on the drive in to work this morning, this........

View attachment 45886 View attachment 45887

Build Date: 05/21/2018
Purchase Date: 10/11/2018
Miles: ~16,000

I have an appointment tomorrow.
Can see the water, is there a crack in the frame as well? Hard to tell from the picture.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can see the water, is there a crack in the frame as well? Hard to tell from the picture.
No visible cracks on the inside. I feel like I caught it early because my headliner does not have any stains on it either. I have also been checking it every time I wash my truck too. This is the first time I have ever noticed any water.

Users who are viewing this thread