5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

NightRam2020

Reaction score
After a good down pour I still have a leak. I did end the urethane before the corners so I will add an additional bead to round the corners and see how that holds up.
Another update.
the additional urethane did not solve any issues for me. Luckily I have a family member in the auto glass business so he is familiar with the issue and recommended a full replacement from MOPAR. Here are a few pictures he sent me this morning.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20230830_101233.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230830_101233.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Resized_Resized_20230830_101259.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230830_101259.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 67
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 67
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 66

Damion

Reaction score
Add me to the cracked/leaking rear window club. So far ive tried 2 layers of flowable silicone over the whole seam where the window meets the cab, also sealing the cracks in the frame and anywhere else I can see where water could enter.

Ive slowed it down, but not stopped it. Next course of action is to totally fill the void between the top of the rear glass and the cab with UV Resistant urethane. If the entire width of the glass is filled ( down the corners some too ) , even if there was 20 cracks it shouldn't leak as water cant get in

my truck is over the 3 year warranty mark so im on my own.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Add me to the cracked/leaking rear window club. So far ive tried 2 layers of flowable silicone over the whole seam where the window meets the cab, also sealing the cracks in the frame and anywhere else I can see where water could enter.

Ive slowed it down, but not stopped it. Next course of action is to totally fill the void between the top of the rear glass and the cab with UV Resistant urethane. If the entire width of the glass is filled ( down the corners some too ) , even if there was 20 cracks it shouldn't leak as water cant get in

I just filled in that gap with urethane body seam sealer on mine, so far no leaks from 2 days of real heavy rain. But let's see if it lasts...

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Check with your auto insurance. My comprehensive deductible is $50. A lot better than what the dealers charge

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Check with your auto insurance. My comprehensive deductible is $50. A lot better than what the dealers charge

This is an interesting one. Lucky for me, as mentioned in this thread, my dealer did me a solid and pushed to have it covered under a previous issue I brought up to them when it was covered by the factory warranty. For anyone dealing with this and not being able to have covered by the warranty, this may be an option.

NightRam2020

Reaction score
Pretty much what I just did. I use USAA for insurance so there is no local branch and they didn’t require pictures or evidence of the window being replaced. I just told them I woke up one morning to it being “broke”, nothing more was said besides that. To them it seemed like a total window loss and that’s all they needed to know. Now my new window has been in for 48 hours and no rain. Oh, and my deductible is $100 but the shop did some magic and got it to $50.

NightRam2020

Reaction score
Since one of my family members is in the auto glass business he has the inside track to some Of the OEMs and auto glass technician forums. He told me that the reason the plastic frames crack is due to people holding the slider button down too long once the glass has reached its travel limit. Whether that is true or not remains to be proven.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Since one of my family members is in the auto glass business he has the inside track to some Of the OEMs and auto glass technician forums. He told me that the reason the plastic frames crack is due to people holding the slider button down too long once the glass has reached its travel limit. Whether that is true or not remains to be proven.

I barely used my rear sliding window leading up to the crack so I personally doubt that. It seems plausible though.

I was told it was a combo of poor construction along with the adhesive used. The factory adhesive they used was not flexible enough and after enough bumps, turns, twist the cab would flex the window frame and crack it. The service tech who got mine replaced subbed it out to an autoglass shop that (supposedly) uses a better suited adhesive that flexes more.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If that's the case then it's still a case of terrible design. But I doubt that's true given what people with this issue have said over the years about not even opening the slider. In our case, I never opened the slider. But the wife uses it every time she drives it. Can't say whether she holds the button too long and I'm not asking her LOL.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If that's the case then it's still a case of terrible design. But I doubt that's true given what people with this issue have said over the years about not even opening the slider. In our case, I never opened the slider. But the wife uses it every time she drives it. Can't say whether she holds the button too long and I'm not asking her LOL.
Just tell her it's her fault. You don't need them anymore.:ROFLMAO:

Jack.

Reaction score
So it finally happend to me, took my car to the car wash today and noticed a soap line in the corner of my passenger window. I tried pouring some water in the spot on the outside but there was nothing coming through, I remember someone mentioning somewhere that if your frame isn't cracked and you get a leak in the corner it's the 3rd brake lights, I can't seem to fine that post anymore lol, would I just use new weather strip to seal around the 3rd break lights?

Attachments

• 20230904_002112.jpg
    20230904_002112.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230904_002151.jpg
    20230904_002151.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 31

NightRam2020

Reaction score
So it finally happend to me, took my car to the car wash today and noticed a soap line in the corner of my passenger window. I tried pouring some water in the spot on the outside but there was nothing coming through, I remember someone mentioning somewhere that if your frame isn't cracked and you get a leak in the corner it's the 3rd brake lights, I can't seem to fine that post anymore lol, would I just use new weather strip to seal around the 3rd break lights?
There’s an updated part from Ram that has a new brake light with the new style gasket already installed. I just did mine and it was $45 shipped. I don’t have the part number on hand but I’m sure a quick search will turn up something.

raygun9

Reaction score
10 feet Weather Seal Strip, Marine Weather Stripping - MD Building Products 01033 https://a.co/d/2KDvwdi

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Jako

Reaction score
There’s an updated part from Ram that has a new brake light with the new style gasket already installed. I just did mine and it was $45 shipped. I don’t have the part number on hand but I’m sure a quick search will turn up something.
The screws also were changed/updated.

Jack.

Reaction score
Can you see if you can get me the part #? I tried looking it up and couldn't find anything

Jako

Reaction score
FYI

Jack.

Reaction score
FYI
Hmmm would this piece work on the 3rd brake lights with the digital rear view camera ?

Jako

Reaction score
Hmmm would this piece work on the 3rd brake lights with the digital rear view camera ?
I'm not aware of leaks with the digital rear view camera, stress "I'm not aware", perhaps some other forum members can give their experiences with the digital version.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do not waste your time with the weather strip like I did.
Just order the new style break light, like 36 bucks or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread