5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that there is a new window design, even if aftermarket?

Might be good to post the part number l, company, etc if this one doesn’t have the crack problem.

Kinda curious to see what happens with @5thgenalamode window. Maybe it’s the CHMSL or shark fine.
The window was redesigned late 20’ early 21’ but there’s apparently people with the newer design who still have leaks

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The window was redesigned late 20’ early 21’ but there’s apparently people with the newer design who still have leaks
There may be a new design. Look up a few posts, and someone has a replacement that looks like a Ford, with the little port hole window, and no frame.
Edit: He posted that it was an aftermarket window. It still leaked, and they replaced again with OEM.

Last edited:

G_I-Joe

Reaction score
Greetings, I own a 2019 ram 1500 limited and took it in today for the rear window leaking from a cracked frame. I was told by my dealership (Kolosso dodge/ram-Appleton) that neither my certified preowned warranty or my platinum extended warranty I purchased covered fixing the cracks and quoted me for $2100! Judging by this forum and other forums, it’s an extremely common problem that shouldn’t happen to a truck that’s 2 years old! Can someone please help me resolve this issue?
I have a 2019 RAM 1500 and it leaked as soon as I purchased it. I had it replaced by the dealer at 15,000 miles since they kept saying the 3rd party was not available. When it was replaced not more than a year later it started to leak again. Now with 53k miles the dealer does not want to fix the issue and RAM CARE was no help. The representative said I met all parameters except the customer score ($$$) meaning I haven't spent enough on RAM products.

Now I'm stuck with a leaking rear window moldy carpet and water stains on rear seats and headliner.

Champion Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM FIAT in Downey, CA and RAMCARE are no help at all. might need to go to the BBB for some type of resolution.

5thgenalamode

Reaction score
Update. The new window they put in last Friday was aftermarket, the one that looks like a Ford back glass.
The new one they put in yesterday is a mopar and they tested it. Said it doesn’t leak. They have made sure all the carpet is dry and just waiting for them to come pick me up after they put the seats back in.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Update. The new window they put in last Friday was aftermarket, the one that looks like a Ford back glass.
The new one they put in yesterday is a mopar and they tested it. Said it doesn’t leak. They have made sure all the carpet is dry and just waiting for them to come pick me up after they put the seats back in.

I bet this is what they were thinking then they did it.
"Maybe he will not notice if we use a Ford after-market glass. Oh crap it leaks still. Just blame it on Mopar quality"

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 RAM 1500 and it leaked as soon as I purchased it. I had it replaced by the dealer at 15,000 miles since they kept saying the 3rd party was not available. When it was replaced not more than a year later it started to leak again. Now with 53k miles the dealer does not want to fix the issue and RAM CARE was no help. The representative said I met all parameters except the customer score ($$$) meaning I haven't spent enough on RAM products.

Now I'm stuck with a leaking rear window moldy carpet and water stains on rear seats and headliner.

Champion Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM FIAT in Downey, CA and RAMCARE are no help at all. might need to go to the BBB for some type of resolution.
You want to get it taken care of ASAP. Mine soaked the push button starter module behind the rear seat. They had my truck for 6 weeks until the part came in. Now I can't use Android Auto. Just get the plain glass at a glass guy and be done with it.

NightRam2020

Reaction score
With my confirmed rear window leak I talked with a family member who works in a auto glass replacement shop and asked him to fill the top of the rear window gap with the urethane sealer that is used to install Windshields. So far so good. I will wait for a good downpour to verify my results. It could be as easy as asking a windshield repair place to apply urethane to the top of the rear window panel gap.

G_I-Joe

Reaction score
You want to get it taken care of ASAP. Mine soaked the push button starter module behind the rear seat. They had my truck for 6 weeks until the part came in. Now I can't use Android Auto. Just get the plain glass at a glass guy and be done with it.
I going to wait for RAM CARE see if they can adjust the pricing or reimburse me. If they could do that, I would just take it somewhere else, but i want the dealer to be held accountable for the shetty job they did.

NightRam2020

Reaction score
With my confirmed rear window leak I talked with a family member who works in a auto glass replacement shop and asked him to fill the top of the rear window gap with the urethane sealer that is used to install Windshields. So far so good. I will wait for a good downpour to verify my results. It could be as easy as asking a windshield repair place to apply urethane to the top of the rear window panel gap.
After a good down pour I still have a leak. I did end the urethane before the corners so I will add an additional bead to round the corners and see how that holds up.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
exactly what i did a year ago. its so great going thru the car wash every other day not worrying about leaks.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
After a good down pour I still have a leak. I did end the urethane before the corners so I will add an additional bead to round the corners and see how that holds up.
dont waste your time. i fought it for years with flowable silicone. just replace with solid rear glass. the frame will just keep cracking.

Vulpes

Reaction score
I did the same thing with a urethane. Tested at the self serve car wash with the high pressure wand, got the driver's side to seal, but passenger side still leaks. I took a quick look and it appears I may have missed a small section on the passenger side. Maybe I'll just put a potted plant on the passenger side window and drain the leak into that, maybe something with a nice aroma, like mint.

irishwake63

Reaction score
where exactly are these leaks occurring I am trying to determine if my 22 leaks I found a water mark on the inside glass on the passenger side but carpet dry as a bone

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
where exactly are these leaks occurring I am trying to determine if my 22 leaks I found a water mark on the inside glass on the passenger side but carpet dry as a bone
When my window was cracked I noticed water marks on the inside of the back glass, upon further inspection I found the frame cracked. I continue to watch for them on the new glass but so far so good.

irishwake63

Reaction score
when you say fram are you meaning the metal of the cab because I cannot seem to find any frame around

Rando

Reaction score
Third water leak in three years. The back glass has been replaced twice and brake light replaced once. Haven’t figured where new leak is coming from maybe the fin?!? Or glass failed again.

Freaking ridiculous waste of time and materials because Ram went cheap in the supplier, materials, engineering or maybe all three.

Also AC is worst in any car I’ve ever owned.

I love the truck overall but damn with these unresolved issues and price increases it’s hard to recommend Ram to others. IMG_5582.jpeg

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Third water leak in three years. The back glass has been replaced twice and brake light replaced once. Haven’t figured where new leak is coming from maybe the fin?!? Or glass failed again.

Freaking ridiculous waste of time and materials because Ram went cheap in the supplier, materials, engineering or maybe all three.

Also AC is worst in any car I’ve ever owned.

I love the truck overall but damn with these unresolved issues and price increases it’s hard to recommend Ram to others. View attachment 165124
Spoken for all of us.

Users who are viewing this thread