5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does the solid window have rear defrost? If my slider cracks again I would consider a solid window. I do like having the slider, use it quit a bit on nice weather days and it's nice to have a pass through to the bed when hauling a long objects.
The slider also helps when you are riding with the window down. If I don’t open it, the air reverberates so bad it hurts my ears.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So folks that have rear window leaks use that window a lot? Like riding around with it open? Not sure if this would make is worst. Just thinking.
Nope. I have used mine about 4 times. Mine leaked and blew the push button start module behind the rear seat.

Tnkrmdc

Reaction score
Does the solid window have rear defrost? If my slider cracks again I would consider a solid window. I do like having the slider, use it quit a bit on nice weather days and it's nice to have a pass through to the bed when hauling a long objects.
They said that it did have the defroster as an option.

I saw a YouTuber and he said that the new window from Ram for his 2019 Ram Rebel had reinforced parts. Does anyone know if that is correct? Or is it the same POC that they are replacing it with?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had my window replaced on my 2021 a couple of days ago. What do I need to look for to confirm if it's a different part number? As far as looking at it, it appears to be the exact same as the previous window.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the new window fix your issue? I had my rear window replaced earlier this week, we're expecting rain tonight and tomorrow so I should get a good chance to see if it's fixed. If not, I'll probably be shopping for another truck soon, I know all makers have their issues but I can't see going from one Ram to another if this problem persists.

Good Question - so far? Seems like it - but we've had solid rain for the past week so it's time I check it out.

I'm not confident it's going to last after using this truck like a truck off road. Pretty sure body-flex helps cause the cracks outside of standard road vibration. I'm In the same camp right now. I'd be tempted to consider those 'buyback' emails from other dealers to look around a bit

Hackmunch

Reaction score
the best thing i did was get rid of that pos slider. i know a guy on his 4th slider in a 2021. you guys just sealing ur windows will end up swapping it out trust me. i sealed and resealed mine 5 times in 3 years. it will keep coming back just in a different location.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good Question - so far? Seems like it - but we've had solid rain for the past week so it's time I check it out.

I'm not confident it's going to last after using this truck like a truck off road. Pretty sure body-flex helps cause the cracks outside of standard road vibration. I'm In the same camp right now. I'd be tempted to consider those 'buyback' emails from other dealers to look around a bit
I was specifically told that off roading contributed to the crack. If it does happen again It will be off to another brand of truck.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was specifically told that off roading contributed to the crack. If it does happen again It will be off to another brand of truck.
Just don't buy a GM with a slider as they have the same issue. I do believe it is body flex that ultimately causes the crappy window frame to crack. I can hear the creaking sounds in the back window area just driving over the curb at the end of my driveway at the wrong angle.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just don't buy a GM with a slider as they have the same issue. I do believe it is body flex that ultimately causes the crappy window frame to crack. I can hear the creaking sounds in the back window area just driving over the curb at the end of my driveway at the wrong angle.
GM and Ram use the same window manufacturer, right?

Tnkrmdc

Reaction score
Kids just noticed with snow/rain mix that is is dripping in around the slider. I have an appointment for next Friday for a window replacement. We will see how long the replacement lasts.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't say that off-roading doesn't contribute to it, but the wife's 2020 Limited and daughter's 2019 Rebel both had these cracks and neither truck has never seen anything but pavement. It can and will happen even if you never off-road.

EddieB

Reaction score
Just had mine replaced by dealer. With 5 year 60k mile extended warranty (maximum care). I can see they added a lot of sealant around the top portion near sliding glass. Best of luck to all who face this issue.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't say that off-roading doesn't contribute to it, but the wife's 2020 Limited and daughter's 2019 Rebel both had these cracks and neither truck has never seen anything but pavement. It can and will happen even if you never off-road.
Yes, you get body flex just driving around on the street, pulling in and out of driveways, even uneven pavement.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, you get body flex just driving around on the street, pulling in and out of driveways, even uneven pavement.
Of course you do. I was mostly responding to H2OMAN's post that seemed to imply that cracks aren't likely to form if you don't off-road. I don't doubt that body flex contributes to this, but I suspect it's more than just that which is causing the cracks to form. Definitely a badly designed part and/or choice of materials.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone who has the leak has checked the body mount bolts for correct torque. I had the leak on my last Ram. Right after I bought this one I checked the bolts and ended up tightening two of them, the rest were at spec. I haven't had a leak (yet) with this Ram, and I hope I won't

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course you do. I was mostly responding to H2OMAN's post that seemed to imply that cracks aren't likely to form if you don't off-road. I don't doubt that body flex contributes to this, but I suspect it's more than just that which is causing the cracks to form. Definitely a badly designed part and/or choice of materials.
Sorry Mike,

I didn't mean to imply that. I was merely pointing out a statement made to me. From all the other cases it is plain to see that anything can cause it.

Users who are viewing this thread