5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I have a leaking back window on my 2020 LIMITED 1500 again and for the third time it’s going to be replaced. This time my trucks battery went dead and then dead again after being jumped, also noticed the inside of the truck was getting a lot of condensation right before this happened. Well my truck has been in the shop for another 2 weeks and they are telling me the rear window leaked and ruined the RH hub and corroded some wires and another rear defrost module. The RF hub is causing my screens to remain on when the truck was turned off. All these problems again. to top it off there is a big back order on the RF hub. I cant believe some law firm hasn't performed a lawsuit. This rear window needs a recall and a new design. Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket version made with a metal frame? TIA
At this point, maybe just permatex the cr@p out of it since they can’t completely fix it.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a leaking back window on my 2020 LIMITED 1500 again and for the third time its going to be replaced. This time my trucks battery went dead and then dead again after being jumped, also noticed the inside of the truck was getting a lot of condensation right before this happened. Well my truck has been in the shop for another 2 weeks and they are telling me the rear window leaked and ruined the RH hub and corroded some wires and another rear defrost module. The RF hub is causing my screens to remain on when the truck was turned off. All these problems again. to top it off there is a big back order on the RF hub. I cant believe some law firm hasn't performed a lawsuit. This rear window needs a recall and a new design. Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket version made with a metal frame? TIA
Same for me. In the shop for 6 weeks. Now my Android Auto doesn't work. I have to take it in for that. However, Chrysler paid for the whole thing. Also, the dealer gave me a full synthetic oil change on the house too. Wheras I am satisfied with that, this should not be happening.

GMetal

Reaction score
These universal seals may be another option to add another layer of sealing to the rear glass

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Well I had mine replaced by the dealer two weeks ago??? So this must have changed Damn recently. Or your dealer is feeding you a line.
Yes, you are right. Autonation is one big lie.

I went to another dealership - they've diagnosed it within a day and confirmed that plastic trim in the corner of the sliding window is leaking, but brake light and glass itself don't leak. They've ordered a new glass and plan to replace it next week.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
So after my rear window was replaced I still had a leak as I posted before. It did seem to come from the 3rd brake light which my dealer ruled out after they resealed it. Well I decided to reseal my light myself with the MD seal most have used. Apparently the dealer decided they would remove my factory seal and run a THICK bead of urethane straight on the light and run a THICK bead of urethane on the body of the truck also. I’m still pretty ticked over it. I’m amazed that I didn’t break the light getting it off. Scratched up the body pretty good though. Had to touch up some gouges. Part of the light had no urethane on it at all. It was a chore scraping that off and cleaning it up. Unreal.

I used permatex on the top window groove and really poured it in the corners. Used some black silicone around my shark fin antenna also since the gasket looked a little suspect in one area.

I hope I’m done dealing with this issue for good.

Nikdfish

Reaction score
Well, got the replacement back glass assembly installed. We will see if it does the trick when the forecast rain comes through in the next couple of days. I'm not putting stuff back in the ram boxes until I see if it will need another trip to the dealer.

rsnc87

Reaction score
I need to read through this whole thread but has anyone gotten this covered under max care extended warranty for CPO? Mine is leaking on my 2019 ram 1500 limited and they just called me saying it is not covered. The car only has 31k miles on it and I have the 7 year 100,000 max care warranty that I bought. Any suggestions?
I did not buy any extended warranty but was recently told at the dealership that no extended warranties cover this problem. I bought a 2019 1500 about a year and a half ago and my rear window started leaking and staining the interior soon after. I took it in and they replaced the back window and detailed. that was covered by the original warranty. fast forward to this past December and I got in my truck one day and then back left passenger side of the bench was soaked water dripping from the top left corner. any time it rains, my bench gets soaked but there is no sign of a leak on the ceiling or any staining. when I took my truck in to get serviced I told them about it and showed pictures of how wet it was getting. they explained that my truck was out of warranty but since it was repaired under warranty and its been within a year, that if a crack is found in the frame then it would be covered. they said if its a defect in the glass, then they would contact the glass company to see if they would cover it. it ended up being a cracked frame and they are fixing for free.

hopefully this solves the problem once and for all but im not counting on it given they just replaced the back window and leaking started again 9 months later.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did not buy any extended warranty but was recently told at the dealership that no extended warranties cover this problem. I bought a 2019 1500 about a year and a half ago and my rear window started leaking and staining the interior soon after. I took it in and they replaced the back window and detailed. that was covered by the original warranty. fast forward to this past December and I got in my truck one day and then back left passenger side of the bench was soaked water dripping from the top left corner. any time it rains, my bench gets soaked but there is no sign of a leak on the ceiling or any staining. when I took my truck in to get serviced I told them about it and showed pictures of how wet it was getting. they explained that my truck was out of warranty but since it was repaired under warranty and its been within a year, that if a crack is found in the frame then it would be covered. they said if its a defect in the glass, then they would contact the glass company to see if they would cover it. it ended up being a cracked frame and they are fixing for free.

hopefully this solves the problem once and for all but im not counting on it given they just replaced the back window and leaking started again 9 months later.
Pretty sure that it will most likely crack again, permatex is your friend.

immersivenc

Reaction score
Have they fixed this issue for new units leaving the factory?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have they fixed this issue for new units leaving the factory?
Well, I think they said they did. In 2021. And then again in 2022.

Permatex.

Okay, Permatex AND a Class Action Lawsuit (<- the goal being recompense for ANY expense due to leaks, AND lifetime replacement and damage coverage.)

After 100 years of mass-produced automobile glass, leaking seams should no longer be a thing.

Nikdfish

Reaction score
OK, after I picked up the Ram Saturday we have had 1.4" rain Sunday & overnight. Checked this AM (Monday) and could not find any damp areas in the rear cabin area. I was trying to blot areas with a paper towel looking for any visual indication of dampness rather than just feeling for it. So far I have mainly checked the areas closest to the doors on both sides. I should probably check the center areas under the rear seats as well.
So far, so good.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
It's been a couple of weeks now since the 3rd brake light was replaced and I haven't had any glaring issues with the headliner or rear window. However, I noticed some general dampness in the truck early last week. I started feeling around the seats and carpet and didn't find anything until I lifted the large all-weather mat in the back. It was completely damp and had mold growing through the carpet all under the mat.

While I was cleaning everything out of the truck yesterday to drop the truck off for cleaning, I also found a lot of leaves, grass, etc behind the rear panel. I've noticed this before but just chalked it up to stuff blowing in the rear slider. Turns out there was actually an issue with the two cab vents between the cab and the bed. One was completely out of position and the other was installed upside down. I'm guessing since all that debris could get in it's very likely water has been able to enter as well.

Regardless, ram cares is covering the cost to clean the carpets and run an ionizer over night. The dealership is fixing the cab vents while they have it. After the rear window replacement, the new 3rd brake light and now the cab vents, I really hope I'm done with water issues with this truck.

Just wanted to pass along the issue with the cab vents as a possible issue for others to keep an eye out for.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Whether it’s pandemic related or not there’s some quality control issues that are unacceptable really. I know this stuff happens but I’ve seen a lot of posts about upside down cab vents and majorly misaligned doors and panels. I’ve been a Mopar guy ever since I could drive and always will be, but I hope things improve on the issues that are easily fixable at the factory.

armyrec1

Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel. I have the leaky back window as well. Took it to the dealer today, 2 cracks in the frame above the sliding window. $1635 to fix. This is totally unacceptable. I chatted with FCA care online and they were no help, although they did offer to escalate it and I should hear something back in 2-3 days. I'm not holding my breath for good news.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Took my truck in today for the leak the fifth time over 3 years and 8 months. When the window was replaced a year ago it was the old part number. (I pointed that out to them thanks to this site). They had a new one with new part number in stock so they are keeping in tonight and I'll get it back tomorrow. The replacement window had a 2 year warranty so all is covered. The story continues......

Last edited:

armyrec1

Reaction score
I got a call from FCA yesterday telling me that they are talking to the dealer and would get back to me by the end of the week. At least they are acting like they are doing something. :LOL:

Also got another quote from a vehicle glass company using the OEM back window - $855. And that is a mobile install, so I wouldn't even have to drop it off anywhere they will come and do it at my place of work. Waiting on FCA to make their decision before I go with the $855 option.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got a call from FCA yesterday telling me that they are talking to the dealer and would get back to me by the end of the week. At least they are acting like they are doing something. :LOL:

Also got another quote from a vehicle glass company using the OEM back window - $855. And that is a mobile install, so I wouldn't even have to drop it off anywhere they will come and do it at my place of work. Waiting on FCA to make their decision before I go with the $855 option.
Did you check with your car insurance to see if they would cover it? My deductible is $50 so I’ll definitely go that route if needed

GrizEagle

Reaction score
Add me to the list of leaky trucks. 2020 Bighorn Ecodiesel. Noticed some extra fogginess to the windows earlier this winter and discovered a few droplets running down the inside of the rear window. I could see the plastic had cracks on either side of the rear slider. The leak was slow, only a few drops at a time.

I did the permatex seal today, using two tubes to seal up across the top of the rear window. It was a pain to pull off my canopy in order to gain access, but otherwise a pretty easy project. I could see the cracks along the top of the window frame once I pulled the third brake light to get easier access. Here's hoping the fix seals it.

Here are some pictures after I did the two tubes of permatex.

Attachments

• PXL_20230215_215622761.jpg
    PXL_20230215_215622761.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20230215_215637955.jpg
    PXL_20230215_215637955.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20230215_215628616.jpg
    PXL_20230215_215628616.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 95

Users who are viewing this thread