5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear spacer?

Doc33

Reaction score
I was getting myself all set to install the motofab rear 1"spacer, then I thought "would it make more sense to replace my non-orp springs with the longer ORP springs?". I have the Ready Lift 2" level in the front and want to restore a little rake for towing purposes. Would the ORP rear springs have the same effect as the spacer? Pros and cons?
Related - do i need longer shocks with either option? Thanks in advace. I've learned so much from you guys on this forum. It's much appreciated!
If your not doing alot of off roading you do not need to replace your stock shocks. I left mine in when I upgraded to the ORP springs and it rides great. Even the mechanic whom I know very well at my local dealership said not a problem. But your call in the end...

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. Do i not need a longer shock with the spacer? In my mind the math is the same.

Yes, to utilize the full travel of the longer springs you most certainly do.

If you never leave pavement it will be fine without them. Different part numbers for shocks on ORP vs Non.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you. Do i not need a longer shock with the spacer? In my mind the math is the same.
No you don’t need a longer shock with the ORP springs or a spacer. I ran a 2” rear spacer for over a year and a half, never had an issue and it rode the same as stock. Even off-road I never had an issue.

Ccroce

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the stock rear shocks with the ORP shocks, but left their non-ORP rear coil springs in? The rear lift options for this truck (1 inch or greater) are too high for what I’m looking for. The ORP shocks appear to be slightly longer, so wondering if (A) I’d get a small, maybe .25 or .5”, lift out of them, and (B) whether the non-ORP coils have enough length to be able to travel to that extra height.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the stock rear shocks with the ORP shocks, but left their non-ORP rear coil springs in? The rear lift options for this truck (1 inch or greater) are too high for what I’m looking for. The ORP shocks appear to be slightly longer, so wondering if (A) I’d get a small, maybe .25 or .5”, lift out of them, and (B) whether the non-ORP coils have enough length to be able to travel to that extra height.
The shocks will not give you any lift at all. They make small spacers for the rear that go on top of the springs to give you however much lift you want.

Burner_After

Reaction score
I ordered my truck without the ORG and regret it simply for missing out on the 1" lift. I got a quote from my dealer to order some ORG springs and install them for me and it was over $1500! Seems pricey. Wondering if I went with 1" coil spacers instead of the ORG springs if it would be an easier/cheaper install. Anyone know if a lift as small as 1" would cause any longevity issues with the suspension components? Also, anyone had warranty issues with either the ORG springs or lift spacers?

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
I ordered my truck without the ORG and regret it simply for missing out on the 1" lift. I got a quote from my dealer to order some ORG springs and install them for me and it was over $1500! Seems pricey. Wondering if I went with 1" coil spacers instead of the ORG springs if it would be an easier/cheaper install. Anyone know if a lift as small as 1" would cause any longevity issues with the suspension components? Also, anyone had warranty issues with either the ORG springs or lift spacers?
You can find take off ORP springs and struts for about $100 total I think.
Someone posted a link previously, but their on ebay. A dealer or some other reputable shop taking them off new trucks.
Then do top hat spacers on the front, or adjustable struts from Bilstein, Eibach, Belltech.
Maybe you could find front ORP components too.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Wow that dealership wants to rip you off for sure. You can find those for dirt cheap on here. Also running a 1” spacer will do absolutely nothing longevity-wise. It’s the exact same principle as running the 1” longer coil. If I were in your shoes I’d add a 1” coil spacer or ORP coils to the rear and then in the front do the eibach 2.0” lift struts or really any other lift strut out there. You should be fine warranty-wise because it’s just a level. I can’t see it being a big deal unless you go to a full lift kit.

Jorangel87

Reaction score
I recently added a MotoFab 2” front kit, and my truck is almost perfectly level, there is like 1/4-1/2” rake. If I put anything in the bed I lose the rake. With my camper and WDH hooked up I’m still too low for my liking. I’m adding a 1” spacer for the rear that should be here later this week, I think it will put me right where I want to be. I didn’t want much more than a 2 “ lift for the front and decided to just slap the $35 MotoFab top hats in until Bilstein ones out with something.

This is the rear spacer I ordered that another forum member used and it fit just fine.

Did the 1” spacers end up working for your 5th gen? I also want to raise the rear 1”.

Users who are viewing this thread