5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Diff

hayeste29

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie and I started hearing a humming sound coming from the rear end. Took the truck in and they said they needed to change the ring and pinion gear. The dealership cannot get the part and they have had my truck since March 15. Has anyone else had this issue?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . I haven't heard about that before but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened . The part shortage really sucks . I've heard wait times are huge through all manufacturers lately .

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie and I started hearing a humming sound coming from the rear end. Took the truck in and they said they needed to change the ring and pinion gear. The dealership cannot get the part and they have had my truck since March 15. Has anyone else had this issue?
Hopefully they have given you a loaner vehicle, and you have worked out a deal with @RamCares about making your payments for you while it's been sitting at dealer.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hopefully they have given you a loaner vehicle, and you have worked out a deal with @RamCares about making your payments for you while it's been sitting at dealer.
Hey there!

If you haven't started a case with us and would like to, please send us a direct message!

Callie
Ram Cares

sopmodblock2

Reaction score
Yep. My rear diff got rebuilt 6.5k miles ago and it’s about to get rebuilt again. Noise started VERY slightly about a week ago and has now escalated and can’t hear my own thoughts.

Insanely frustrating. I had to wait 3-4 weeks for the initial rebuild to be complete and i’m sure it isn’t going to be better this go round.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The parts are available if they request them on "special handling". There is stock at dealers.

bpm

Reaction score
2019 1500 Limited here with 3.92 rear axle.

I'm having (I think) the same problem and was told it is the same culprit. The sound is hard to describe other than being a humming or whining sound that gets louder with speed, coming from the rear end. The dealer looked at the vehicle today and called to let me know the ring gear is failing in the rear diff. Thankfully I have an extended warranty that will cover the repairs after a $200 deductible. They also want to go ahead and replace the remaining drive train fluids. Some parts are on back order so we'll see how long it takes to repair.

Kinda strange this is failing with only 66k miles on the vehicle. I just about never tow with the vehicle (shouldn't have bought the gear upgrade). Not sure if it's relevant but have done mild off-roading occasionally.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019 1500 Limited here with 3.92 rear axle.

I'm having (I think) the same problem and was told it is the same culprit. The sound is hard to describe other than being a humming or whining sound that gets louder with speed, coming from the rear end. The dealer looked at the vehicle today and called to let me know the ring gear is failing in the rear diff. Thankfully I have an extended warranty that will cover the repairs after a $200 deductible. They also want to go ahead and replace the remaining drive train fluids. Some parts are on back order so we'll see how long it takes to repair.

Kinda strange this is failing with only 66k miles on the vehicle. I just about never tow with the vehicle (shouldn't have bought the gear upgrade). Not sure if it's relevant but have done mild off-roading occasionally.
If rear differential is considered part of powertrain, then you are still under factory warranty. I'm not sure how Ram defines it for warranty.

bpm

Reaction score
If rear differential is considered part of powertrain, then you are still under factory warranty. I'm not sure how Ram defines it for warranty.
That is a good point that I need to get some clarification on. Screenshot 2022-08-22 122820.png

Edit: Actually looks like I'm just past the mileage limit for the powertrain limited warranty.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Yep. My rear diff got rebuilt 6.5k miles ago and it’s about to get rebuilt again. Noise started VERY slightly about a week ago and has now escalated and can’t hear my own thoughts.

Insanely frustrating. I had to wait 3-4 weeks for the initial rebuild to be complete and i’m sure it isn’t going to be better this go round.
what year is your truck?

sopmodblock2

Reaction score
2021 Laramie 4x4 w/ ORP. 3.92’s and locker. Bought it brand new, and just hit 78k today. It’s had TWO rebuilds now, and the noise is back under 5k miles since the 2nd rebuild.

All interstate miles with no towing. Only used the locker MAYBE 15 times.

Users who are viewing this thread