5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear cab cargo light when tailgate is open?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I added the Mopar bed light kit to my 2020 Laramie. I didn't wire it the way the instructions said because I didn't want to have to take it to the dealer and pay them to add the sales code. There is a thread around here which shows an alternate way to wire them to avoid the sales code. After installation, my bed lights and cargo light come on when I open the tailgate, and go out when I close the tailgate. With the tailgate open, the bed lights and cargo light go out when I press the button on the left bed light. My understanding is that this is how they are supposed to work.

SpenD1818

Reaction score
Do
I added the Mopar bed light kit to my 2020 Laramie. I didn't wire it the way the instructions said because I didn't want to have to take it to the dealer and pay them to add the sales code. There is a thread around here which shows an alternate way to wire them to avoid the sales code. After installation, my bed lights and cargo light come on when I open the tailgate, and go out when I close the tailgate. With the tailgate open, the bed lights and cargo light go out when I press the button on the left bed light. My understanding is that this is how they are supposed to work.
[/QUOTEyou know if your cargo light came on when opening the tailgate before the bed light installation
Do you know if your cargo light came on when you opened the tailgate before the installation of the bed light kit?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you know if your cargo light came on when you opened the tailgate before the installation of the bed light kit?
Sorry, I never really noticed. I wanna say it probably did, but I can't say so with any certainty. I have a bed cover, so even if it did it wouldn't have helped me see inside my bed when it was dark outside.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are getting "Tailgate Ajar" warning in the instrument cluster, your cargo lights and bed lights (If optioned or added) should come on when tailgate is opened, if you do not have that feature or that feature was disabled via an update, lights will not come on with tailgate opened. Supposedly a fix being worked on, (see below) but I doubt it. However, you can use AlphaOBD and switch it back on. Look at the thread I linked on page 1.
Star Case S1908000193.jpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would like to disable the automatic cargo light when the tailgate is down. I would rather turn it on if I need it. Anyone know if this is possible?

starmc26

Reaction score
I would like to disable the automatic cargo light when the tailgate is down. I would rather turn it on if I need it. Anyone know if this is possible?

My 2021 turns the bed and cargo lights off automatically when I come out of park. I installed my own led bed lights, but am not getting them to come on when I open the tailgate. I'm assuming it's an option I have to enable through the OBD.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
My 2021 does not turn the cargo lights on when I open the bed, but my friends 2019 does turn the lights on when he opens his bed, that stinks. It would be a nice feature to have.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2021 does not turn the cargo lights on when I open the bed, but my friends 2019 does turn the lights on when he opens his bed, that stinks. It would be a nice feature to have.
The cargo light on my 2021 does turn on when I open the tailgate. Have you looked through the owner's manual to see if it's mentioned in there? I haven't had a chance to fully read through mine yet, but it's on my list of things to do LOL.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My cargo lights do not come on IF the interior lights are turned off when opening the door. IF the interior lights are turned on when opening the door than the cargo light comes on when opening the tailgate.

Try turning off the interior lights and see what happens! Than if you want the cargo lights turn them on with the switch. But if you want the interior lights to come on but not the tailgate - well based on my 2019 Bighorn it may be a case of:

We both have 2019 Bighorns

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm trying to figure out how to turn on the cab cargo light to check bikes while driving. Some of you seem to be saying that yours is on with the tailgate open until you shut it off? Mine will not turn on in Drive.:mad:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm trying to figure out how to turn on the cab cargo light to check bikes while driving. Some of you seem to be saying that yours is on with the tailgate open until you shut it off? Mine will not turn on in Drive.:mad:
There is a button on the dash to turn on the cargo light. Have you tried using that while driving? When I said my cargo light turns on when I open the tailgate, that's with the truck shut off and me standing behind it. I haven't tried turning it on while driving since I have a bed cover and have no reason to turn it on while driving.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
There is a button on the dash to turn on the cargo light. Have you tried using that while driving? When I said my cargo light turns on when I open the tailgate, that's with the truck shut off and me standing behind it. I haven't tried turning it on while driving since I have a bed cover and have no reason to turn it on while driving.
I‘m pretty sure you cannot turn them on while driving for safety reasons (drivers behind you perhaps). Mine works just like yours btw.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I‘m pretty sure you cannot turn them on while driving for safety reasons (drivers behind you perhaps). Mine works just like yours btw.
People have said this, but it isn't a headlight for crying out loud.:) For the record, my GMC did turn on to check dirtbikes while moving. Be nice if anyone in the AlphaOBD thread would figure out how to break this.

Conundrum

Reaction score
I just noticed my cargo light not coming on when I open the tailgate. Never really paid attention before but it would be nice if it did. Yes, my dome lights come on with the door and the cargo lights come on when I unlock the truck.

Anyone have any insight on this?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe the tail get switch is messed up. Do you get the tail gate down alarm?

Users who are viewing this thread