5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear cab cargo light when tailgate is open?

Bradleys

Reaction score
Shouldn’t the cargo lights up next to the third break light come on when you open the tailgate?

I was kind of surprised that they didn’t...

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm... don't know that I looked carefully, but I always get all the lights (bed & cargo) on when I open the tailgate automatically. Haven't had to adjust anything.

Bradleys

Reaction score
That is what I would expect. I will check my light settings.

BlackEyeDye

Reaction score
That is what I would expect. I will check my light settings.
I know it’s been a while, but have you figured anything out? My lights don’t come on with tailgate open unless I press the button on the light or the switch In The cab. I thought they should automatically come on with an open tailgate.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah mine come on and I have to manually turn them off when I start driving with the Bikes in the back and tailgate down.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Mine come one when the tailgate is opened, and off when closed. It's automatic.
I believe they also turn on when unlocking the truck.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Bradleys

Reaction score
Mine come one when the tailgate is opened, and off when closed. It's automatic.
I believe they also turn on when unlocking the truck.

Did you wire it per the instructions or based on the change recommended in this thread?

Mine comes on any time the cargo light (top of the cab) is on. Open the doors, unlock the locks, etc... when I press the button on the bed lights - both the cargo light and bed lights come on.

Nothing happens when I simply open the tailgate.

For the life of me, I do not remember if the cargo light came when the tailgate was opened before I installed the bed lights.

Bradleys

Reaction score
Mine works like this:

It would be nice if the lights came on when I opened the tailgate...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Did you wire it per the instructions or based on the change recommended in this thread?

Mine comes on any time the cargo light (top of the cab) is on. Open the doors, unlock the locks, etc... when I press the button on the bed lights - both the cargo light and bed lights come on.

Nothing happens when I simply open the tailgate.

For the life of me, I do not remember if the cargo light came when the tailgate was opened before I installed the bed lights.
I have not wired or rewired anything. It’s stock.
Just went outside and confirmed. Unlocking turns on cargo lights, as well as opening the tailgate (engine on or off).

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have not wired or rewired anything. It’s stock.
Just went outside and confirmed. Unlocking turns on cargo lights, as well as opening the tailgate (engine on or off).
Same here. Dome lamp, cargo light, bed lights all come on with unlock.
All come on when tailgate opened.
Lock with tailgate open, lights stay on. Close tailgate, all go off.
100% stock.

Bradleys

Reaction score
I simply do not remember if any lights came on when I opened the tail gate before I installed the light kit (Laramie Model)

With the wiring instructions debacle, I would hate to think I broke the feature...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I simply do not remember if any lights came on when I opened the tail gate before I installed the light kit (Laramie Model)

With the wiring instructions debacle, I would hate to think I broke the feature...
By “light kit”, what do you mean specifically? Did you swap your incandescents to LEDs?
If so, that shouldn’t make any difference (that’s one of the first mods I did btw).

drew7811

Reaction score
Yeah mine come on and I have to manually turn them off when I start driving with the Bikes in the back and tailgate down.

Mine is the same way. They automatically come on, but if you leave the tailgate down while driving the cargo light remains on (unless you manually turn it off).

Bradleys

Reaction score
By “light kit”, what do you mean specifically? Did you swap your incandescents to LEDs?
If so, that shouldn’t make any difference (that’s one of the first mods I did btw).

no, this whole thread is about installing the factory bed light kit...

SpenD1818

Reaction score
My cargo light doesn't turn on when opening the tailgate either. My 2020 Laramie is completely stock and did not come with the factory bed lights. After digging around i am assuming they did away with that feature with the addition of the button on the driver side bed light. Can anyone confirm?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Pretty sure cargo lights should come on for you no matter the trim. Perhaps someone else with a ‘20 Laramie can confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread