5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear cab cargo light when tailgate is open?

Choate

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but how do you manually turn it off? There is two roller type switches on the left side of the dash if I remember. I think ones for dash lighting. Not sure what the other one does yet. My cargo light comes on and stays on when you open the tailgate. When the truck is off. My issue with that is what if I want to sit on the tailgate for an hour w the truck off. It’ll likely kill the battery

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Maybe I missed it but how do you manually turn it off? There is two roller type switches on the left side of the dash if I remember. I think ones for dash lighting. Not sure what the other one does yet. My cargo light comes on and stays on when you open the tailgate. When the truck is off. My issue with that is what if I want to sit on the tailgate for an hour w the truck off. It’ll likely kill the battery
Try the door/dome light switch overhead.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s one of the two buttons on the face of the headlight knob. One is for front fogs (if equipped), and the other is for the cargo/bed lights.

You can also just turn the lights off using the switch in the bed (rear driver’s side bed light, if equipped).

But I have to add that mine do not stay on “for an hour” after the truck is shut off.

Choate

Reaction score
It’s one of the two buttons on the face of the headlight knob. One is for front fogs (if equipped), and the other is for the cargo/bed lights.

You can also just turn the lights off using the switch in the bed (rear driver’s side bed light, if equipped).

But I have to add that mine do not stay on “for an hour” after the truck is shut off.
You are right. I just confirmed during halftime of the Cowboys game. I don’t have a bed switch but do have fogs. For anyone reading……open door and push lower button on dial it’ll turn off the cargo light. Open tailgate it’ll turn it back on. If you push the lower button on the dial again it’ll turn the cargo light back off. Also I remember when learning this truck I was playing w those buttons and noticed when I walked away from the truck the cargo light was still on and thought I better check on that and forgot for like 30 min but when I went back it was off on its own. Thanks for the reply. Btw what’s up in Fort Worth as well (technically new area of Saginaw/Blue Mound)

Scram1500

Reaction score
You would think that putting it drive would turn off the cargo light from a safety stand point. First, it looks like the backup lights are on, second, it obscures the center brake light when braking

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
Geez, this ranks right up there with "most confusing problem of all time" - all these different lights, different solutions, automatic/manual/yes/no/depends, year/model changes, wiring differences, factory versus aftermarket, secret codes, woulda coulda shoulda ...
My Brain Hurts.jpg

I think I will just not drive my truck at night, so no bed light problem for me :cool:

Dave

Jako

Reaction score
Geez, this ranks right up there with "most confusing problem of all time" - all these different lights, different solutions, automatic/manual/yes/no/depends, year/model changes, wiring differences, factory versus aftermarket, secret codes, woulda coulda shoulda ...
View attachment 114249

I think I will just not drive my truck at night, so no bed light problem for me :cool:

Dave
Feel your pain. The pleasures of owning the new technology and a 600 page plus owner's manual.

Lettika

Reaction score
Its a setting thing, or combination of inputs on the controls. I know for a fact my bed lights came on when I opened the tailgate when I got this truck. Now two weeks later they do not. I have done something but not sure what. All functions as expected when using the overhead control in the cab or the switches directly on the lights in the bed. Not sure what I have done but the bed lights need to come on when I open the tailgate again just like the dome lights come on when you open the door.

Lettika

Reaction score
I just checked my 2019 and it works as you would expect it would. You open the tailgate and the cargo and bedlights come on, but interestingly the dome lights inside the truck do not.
My post above refers to my 2022 which is not acting right but once did.

Twil6

Reaction score
I just checked mine. Lights come on when open door or touch promixty sensors. But when just opening tailgate by itself no lights

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I just checked mine. Lights come on when open door or touch promixty sensors. But when just opening tailgate by itself no lights
Mine didn’t either in my 22 until I programmed it on in Alfa and added the latch with sensor and tailgate jumper harness.

Lettika

Reaction score
Well that might be it then. Spill it Skyhawk. How do we tell if we have the latch with sensor and tailgate jumper?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Take off the access panel on the tailgate and look at the passenger side latch. If it has 2 wires you don’t have it. If it has 4 you have it and need to turn it on in Alfa

Jako

Reaction score
You are right. I just confirmed during halftime of the Cowboys game. I don’t have a bed switch but do have fogs. For anyone reading……open door and push lower button on dial it’ll turn off the cargo light. Open tailgate it’ll turn it back on. If you push the lower button on the dial again it’ll turn the cargo light back off. Also I remember when learning this truck I was playing w those buttons and noticed when I walked away from the truck the cargo light was still on and thought I better check on that and forgot for like 30 min but when I went back it was off on its own. Thanks for the reply. Btw what’s up in Fort Worth as well (technically new area of Saginaw/Blue Mound)
I would like to talk to the individual who figured the switches. I keep the cargo lights off along with the interior when exiting via the dome lights.

Users who are viewing this thread