5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Brake Squeal (Yes I've Searched)

pabla

Reaction score
So for the past few months my 2019 Limited (build date December 2018) has been having horrible brake squealing when in reverse. Its gotten to the point where it shakes the whole truck, sounds like a train coming to a stop. Ive taken it to my dealer once, they lubricated the brakes but that didn't help. I brought it back earlier today cause I read about the TSB that corrects this issue. Turns out my truck's VIN doesn't fall within the range of this TSB therefor they can't perform the TSB. I called customer service and they were useless, and the only option I have left is to pay roughly $220 for the TSB to be done. What else can I do? I also have another issue with the overhead console buttons intermittently not working, but again that TSB doesn't apply to my vehicle's VIN. Im at a loss especially with the brakes it is crazy how loud they are, anyone else run into this issue where theyre out of the VIN range for these TSBs? Heres the video:

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, that one is pretty bad; it might be worse than mine ever was....and I had three TSB's done on it. I think you may have more than a TSB problem. Does yours have the brackets that attach the rear calipers to the axle as seen in TSB 05-002-19 Rear Brake Moan Kit? If you don't have the brackets, I would find another dealer or elevate it with FCA. The brackets do work.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So for the past few months my 2019 Limited (build date December 2018) has been having horrible brake squealing when in reverse. Its gotten to the point where it shakes the whole truck, sounds like a train coming to a stop. Ive taken it to my dealer once, they lubricated the brakes but that didn't help. I brought it back earlier today cause I read about the TSB that corrects this issue. Turns out my truck's VIN doesn't fall within the range of this TSB therefor they can't perform the TSB. I called customer service and they were useless, and the only option I have left is to pay roughly $220 for the TSB to be done. What else can I do? I also have another issue with the overhead console buttons intermittently not working, but again that TSB doesn't apply to my vehicle's VIN. Im at a loss especially with the brakes it is crazy how loud they are, anyone else run into this issue where theyre out of the VIN range for these TSBs? Heres the video:
That is horrendous. You mean to tell me that they won't do anything for you? That is outrageous.

pabla

Reaction score
Yep, that one is pretty bad; it might be worse than mine ever was....and I had three TSB's done on it. I think you may have more than a TSB problem. Does yours have the brackets that attach the rear calipers to the axle as seen in TSB 05-002-19 Rear Brake Moan Kit? If you don't have the brackets, I would find another dealer or elevate it with FCA. The brackets do work.

Just checked no brackets there. Doesn't seem like a very hard task to install the brackets myself..

pabla

Reaction score
That is horrendous. You mean to tell me that they won't do anything for you? That is outrageous.
Dealership even called the engineers and was told its expected when the brakes get wet... I mean yea to some degree but you can hear the truck reversing a block away

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealership even called the engineers and was told its expected when the brakes get wet... I mean yea to some degree but you can hear the truck reversing a block away
By no means is that normal.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel for you. Mine moans in reverse slightly every once in a while, but nowhere near that bad. If it were me, and FCA refused to fix it, I guess I would bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic and pay to have it done. That’s embarrasing. Sounds horrible.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is so unacceptable. I thought mine was loud and obnoxious but damn. I don’t get how the TSB doesn’t apply to your truck just based on build date. If the things sounds like that it clearly has an issue.

pabla

Reaction score
I feel for you. Mine moans in reverse slightly every once in a while, but nowhere near that bad. If it were me, and FCA refused to fix it, I guess I would bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic and pay to have it done. That’s embarrasing. Sounds horrible.
$66 part, looked at the TSB itself seems fairly straight forward. Thinking of doing it myself.. just a bit ticked off that my 1 year old Limited needs to be worked on by myself cause the manufacture can't correctly make a TSB

pabla

Reaction score
This is so unacceptable. I thought mine was loud and obnoxious but damn. I don’t get how the TSB doesn’t apply to your truck just based on build date. If the things sounds like that it clearly has an issue.
Right?! You'd think they would have all the trucks included in the TSB until they start coming from factory with the TSB done

38Thumper

Reaction score
Mine sounds the same and is just as bad. I back into everywhere so the brakes don't howl. Mine does it in reverse mostly.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right?! You'd think they would have all the trucks included in the TSB until they start coming from factory with the TSB done
I think you should message RAM Cares here on the FORUM. The TSB for brackets should absolutely apply to a 2019 that was built in December 2018. A lawyer will only cost you money. There was a design flaw with the truck and the TSB was put out to correct the flaw....FCA owes you this. Message RAM Cares and get them to help you out.

pabla

Reaction score
I think you should message RAM Cares here on the FORUM. The TSB for brackets should absolutely apply to a 2019 that was built in December 2018. A lawyer will only cost you money. There was a design flaw with the truck and the TSB was put out to correct the flaw....FCA owes you this. Message RAM Cares and get them to help you out.
I did message Ram Cares prior to the post and was just directed to call Canada customer service, not sure that Ram cares can do anything for Canadian Customers.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine sounds the same and is just as bad. I back into everywhere so the brakes don't howl. Mine does it in reverse mostly.

Hi 38Thumper,

If you decide to address this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to send us a private message for further support while working with them.

Mark
RamCares

pabla

Reaction score
Hi 38Thumper,

If you decide to address this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to send us a private message for further support while working with them.

Mark
RamCares
Are you able to assist Canadian customers?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread