5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really want to tow this trailer with a 2019 Ram 1500

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Payload is what can be put in truck, were have you seen they give 150 for driver...to be sure I am understanding you...you are saying the 1580 door jamb number would be 1730?...that is wrong unless you can show me different.

The tow rating allows 300 for driver and passenger. 75lbs for conventional hitch and a 10% tongue weight.

I was wrong, you are correct :sick: my apologies for any confusion, I read this from the manual too quickly I guess

To summarize correctly: Payload capacity includes the weight of the driver (and any other passengers and cargo)

Trailer capacity as stated excludes the weight of two 150-lb occupants.

My bad folks :censored:

Attachments

• I was wrong.JPG
    I was wrong.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 117

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to make sure I haven't been wrong. We learn something new everyday...thanks for the info.

I can not wait to see these guys trucks hauling their campers.

My truck is actually heavier and almost as long as my camper...so I dont really have to worry lol

Kidder

Reaction score
Stick with the 2500. You are at the limit of a 1500. You want to save money, sell the trailer and buy something lighter. The Escalade is way overloaded already.

Jettix2

Reaction score
Stick with the 2500. You are at the limit of a 1500. You want to save money, sell the trailer and buy something lighter. The Escalade is way overloaded already.

Hahaha, the Escalade isn’t for towing this rig :)

myram2019

Reaction score
The number they post are safe numbers. There is always a buffer built in. Now im not telling you that you can exceed those numbers but that if you go over slightly it wouldn't hurt. I have had myF350 bed full of dirt weighting roughly 3,000lbs or more , so you can say i may have over did it. lol drove like a champ. I see that you did your home work and know what you have to buy to get the job done. Good luck

Dave1000cc

Reaction score
Jettix2 you really did your homework. Given how infrequently you tow that trailer the new truck will probably handle the job just fine (not as comfortable as the 2500 but again, just 3 trips a year, 2 of them very short).

Are you dead set on Laramie? I was able to get a loaded up BigHorn that compares very well to a Laramie and has more Payload (1726). I'm missing leather, cooled seats, heated rear seats, reclining rear seats. Also at the time I purchased, I got an extra 1000$ rebate on BigHorn vs Laramie. (BigHorn is the volume model and you can sometimes get better pricing).
My 19 bighorn pulls just fine with a equal-i-zer 12k lb weight distribution hitch w/4 point sway & Primus IQ brake controller 20190426_182423.jpg

Last edited:

Dave1000cc

Reaction score
Hi to all;

Currently driving a 2017 Ram 2500, 6.4L Laramie with every option except Diesel, which I had previously and simply don't need. It's my 3rd Ram, has been a good truck, but really want to step down into a 1500 because it suits my daily needs far better. 1/2 the payment on a lease, 2x the gas mileage (approx). Much nicer to drive, park, maneuver.

I drive about 20,000 miles a year. I haul lightweight things in the bed, use 4WD in Michigan winters, make 2 school runs every morning, commute back and forth to my store. I don't need to snow plow, I don't need to haul cinderblocks in the back, etc. This truck is incredibly overkill for my daily needs, the payment is huge, my avg fuel mileage is horrendous (around town this winter, it's under 10mpg), the part-time 4WD is rudimentary and overall ride is what you'd expect from a 3/4 ton truck. It is my last choice of vehicles to drive of the 3 that we have.....

I actually take my wife's 2014 Escalade to run the kids to school and back, because of better AWD, lower center of gravity, better weight balance, and mileage in the high teens.

We're on track this year to put 25,000 miles on her Escalade and 5,000 on the truck this year, because of this.

BUT, here's the kicker - We have a large bumper-pull camper that we tow locally 2 times a summer (10 miles round trip) and once to the Upper Peninsula on a 750 mile round-trip vacation. That's it. I am 100% confident a 1500 Ram will tow it to the local campground, but am unsure about the longer trip. (Honestly, I'd sell the blasted camper if my wife didn't love it so much, hahaha).

We have 5 family members (450# total). Topper on the truck (250#). Camper is a 2013 Cougar 32RBK. Specs show it is about 7400# dry (we've removed one of the scissor-sofas), tongue weight about 750#. I have a Pro-Pride anti-sway hitch (aka Hensley Arrow).

I'm going to approximate (haven't scaled it) that it is 8500-9,000# loaded.

I would order (or find) a 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, Laramie, 5.7 w/ 3.92, towing package w/ IBC, could get the 6-4" bed if needed for stability, air suspension if it's better or could add rear air bags & E load rated tires if it helped. The Laramie I test drove yesterday had a sticker on the door jamb of 1580# capacity. Lease payment is 1/2 my current payment. Fuel mileage is nearly 2x as good. Full time 4WD mode would be nice. Overall better ride, handling, etc.

Attached is a photo of our current setup. It's a long trailer. I've seen 3 other people on here towing around 10,000 lbs and they're pleased with the performance. I'm not worried about acceleration, I'm worried about cross-wind sway, being passed by Semi Trucks and causing sway.

Any thoughts? I plan to test tow with a 3.92 axle ratio Ram here in a few weeks once the snow is gone and I can get a feel for it. But in the meantime, am wondering..... View attachment 18145
She has no problems at all.... 20190426_182423.jpg

Omarf4

Reaction score
Have you considered getting the ram 1500 for your daily driving/local stuff and then renting an HD diesel for your twice/three times a year longer trips? I do that all the time with my 9000# boat/trailer. Locally, my RAM 1500 handles great.. but anything over 150 miles, I rent a diesel truck (enterprise truck rental will rent you a diesel truck for personal use). It's cheaper in the long run to do it this way for the infrequent longer hauls. Just a suggestion..... Unless you are towing weekly, long distance, a 3/4 ton truck is overkill.......

Check with your local truck rentals and see what options you have......

jaymie

Reaction score
I have 20,000 miles almost all towing a slightly smaller travel trailer than the OP, the Hemi will do anything you want it to but you better not be afraid of RPM's and be ready to feed the beast, I have averaged as low as 5-6 mpg towing at 70-75, it still runs amazingly smooth at 4-5k RPM's and isn't loud at all, I just set the cruise and let the truck do the work. I got the 1500 limited because I love the way it rides and how quiet it is, if I get a trailer weighing much over 7,000 though I would probably upgrade to a diesel.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you considered getting the ram 1500 for your daily driving/local stuff and then renting an HD diesel for your twice/three times a year longer trips? I do that all the time with my 9000# boat/trailer. Locally, my RAM 1500 handles great.. but anything over 150 miles, I rent a diesel truck (enterprise truck rental will rent you a diesel truck for personal use). It's cheaper in the long run to do it this way for the infrequent longer hauls. Just a suggestion..... Unless you are towing weekly, long distance, a 3/4 ton truck is overkill.......

Check with your local truck rentals and see what options you have......

Good idea, but they cost $110/day so that can add up fast. Although that does include the rental and auto insurance.

Omarf4

Reaction score
Good idea, but they cost $110/day so that can add up fast. Although that does include the rental and auto insurance.
Let’s say you rent one for 10 days. That’s around $1100. Fuel is a wash as you’d need to fill up if it was yours anyway.

For me, that was a cheaper route than getting into a 2500, diesel uplift cost vs buying the 1500.......just an option!

MikeStang

Reaction score
I know this is not a direct comparison, but here it is.
My last truck b4 my new 19' 2500 Ram was a 2017 Tundra crew max SR5 With tow package and 5.7
This was a company purchased vehicle and I chose a Tundra bc I knew it would handle occasionally heavy tows bc I have had 8 of them b4 this one since 2007.
I had a 32' bumper pull travel trailer and when it got hooked up we went an average of 200 miles per trip with 8mpg average on stock suspension with load leveler bars on the hitch and it hauled just fine.
The new 2017 first load was our company skidsteer which is a Bobcat S850 which tips the scales at 10,000 lbs, plus bucket and forks which brings it in at around 10,500...The trailer is a 24' Load Trail Tripple axle rated to 22.5k and weighs in around 2,500 lbs, so max payload somewhere around 13k...Long as you loaded the trailer correctly the Tundra would pull it without breaking a sweat, and since the trailer had great brakes stopping was not a problem.
I also hauled Mini Excavators on same trailer in same weight class and never had a problem.
The truck had 68k Miles on it when a tree fell on it and totaled it out.
Yes the loads I hauled were above the max rated capacity of the truck which was 10,500 lbs, but I see no reason a new Ram 1500 similarly equipped should have a problem with your travel trailer.
I would suggest load leveler hitch and bars as well as adding some $300 rear air bags just to smooth the ride out and keep trailer level... I have also added an extra rear overload spring to my previous trucks which helps a lot but bags are easier

603Ram

Reaction score
The 1500 should tow that travel trailer just fine. I have a Laramie 5.7, tow package, air ride and 3.21 gears. I tow a 34 foot travel trailer weighing 7800lbs. We travel all over New England going to different camp ground through out the season. Only down fall... sucks fuel pretty good. I get around 16 mpg combined driving and was down to 10-11 in the mountains of Vermont. Air ride really helps due to its auto leveling. 25302

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 1500 should tow that travel trailer just fine. I have a Laramie 5.7, tow package, air ride and 3.21 gears. I tow a 34 foot travel trailer weighing 7800lbs. We travel all over New England going to different camp ground through out the season. Only down fall... sucks fuel pretty good. I get around 16 mpg combined driving and was down to 10-11 in the mountains of Vermont. Air ride really helps due to its auto leveling.

Payload and tongue weight? Is that dry weight or weight when loaded?

Rich B.

Reaction score
The 1500 should tow that travel trailer just fine. I have a Laramie 5.7, tow package, air ride and 3.21 gears. I tow a 34 foot travel trailer weighing 7800lbs. We travel all over New England going to different camp ground through out the season. Only down fall... sucks fuel pretty good. I get around 16 mpg combined driving and was down to 10-11 in the mountains of Vermont. Air ride really helps due to its auto leveling. View attachment 25302
What camper are you pulling? I'm looking at one very similar. The weight doesn't scare me but the 34ft length has me concerned a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread