5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real world mpg with hemi etorque

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't believe 4x4 has any measureable impact on MPG. It weighs a little bit more, but the system is dormant when not in 4x4 high/low/auto. I've gotten as high as 28 mpg in my 4x4 according to the lie-o-meter, so adjust accordingly for a measured number but still, 4x4 is clearly not stopping my truck in any significant way.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The other added benefit is much smoother great shifting.

That's a myth perpetuated by Ram. A buddy with eTorque, and myself without, drove our trucks together on the same day. We both couldn't tell a difference. The ZF transmission is so damn smooth, there's no room for eDork to make a difference.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's pretty civil, to tell them to search, when there are 10 threads already there, and they were too lazy to look.

Did you read the post? I can undelete it or quote the content here if you need to see how it was not so civil.

He's a new member and you just assume he's "too lazy?"

The thread has been moderated and it's not up for discussion.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's a myth perpetuated by Ram. A buddy with eTorque, and myself without, drove our trucks together on the same day. We both couldn't tell a difference. The ZF transmission is so damn smooth, there's no room for eDork to make a difference.
Agreed. I doubt it does anything for shifting.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Didn't know that as I've never been in another DT Ram. Honestly then, I think the only "debatable" advantage of eTorque is the auto stop/start. No need to reply about stupid, hate, etc of it. We already know from the various other threads and responses. I don't mind it, but I do think they added a lot of complexity for extremely little gain.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Didn't know that as I've never been in another DT Ram. Honestly then, I think the only "debatable" advantage of eTorque is the auto stop/start. No need to reply about stupid, hate, etc of it. We already know from the various other threads and responses. I don't mind it, but I do think they added a lot of complexity for extremely little gain.

I don't hate eTorque. I don't like the added complexity and the regenerative braking and because of that I wouldn't order a truck with it, but I realize it has value in stop and go traffic. Otherwise it's pretty useless. It irritates me that they try to inflate its worth by claiming it helps smooth out shifting. Apparently that type of propaganda works because you described the shifting as "much smoother great shifting". I've seen that repeated on this site over and over, and that's all it takes to become the truth.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I don't hate eTorque. I don't like the added complexity and the regenerative braking and because of that I wouldn't order a truck with it, but I realize it has value in stop and go traffic. Otherwise it's pretty useless. It irritates me that they try to inflate its worth by claiming it helps smooth out shifting. Apparently that type of propaganda works because you described the shifting as "much smoother great shifting". I've seen that repeated on this site over and over, and that's all it takes to become the truth.
"Truth" in advertising. Like I said, I took it as truth because I've not been in another DT Ram. So, of course, I thought it was true.

Dewey

Reaction score
Agree. Compared to my 4th Gens w/o eTorque and ZF’s I noticed zero difference with shifting.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, kind of like the news🤪

JoyBoy

Reaction score
I was hoping this was gonna turn into a 3.21 vs 3.92. Now that I’m all caught up in THE THREAD

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

As per Mopar:​

How Does Ram 1500's eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology Work?​

A 48-volt battery pack works with the motor generator to create:

• a seamless start/stop function;
  • a short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in particular driving conditions; and,
  • brake energy regeneration to increase efficiency and responsiveness.

With the engine is running and the truck ready, Ram eTorque's motor generator unit delivers 48-volt current to a 430 watt-hour lithium-ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC)-Graphite battery. The battery pack on these Ram pickups includes a 3-kilowatt DC-to-DC converter. This holds the battery's charge and converts 48 volts to 12 volts so that power can be use to power Ram 1500's accessories and charge its conventional 12-volt lead-acid battery.

About the size of a small suitcase, the air-cooled battery plant is mounted to the interior rear wall of Ram 1500's cabin. The battery pack's case is insulated to hush the noise generate by the dual cooling fans. Cooling air is then drawn from the truck interior and released through the built-in cabin exhausters.

Because of its greater efficiency in extreme temperatures, both the V6 engine and V8 engine with Ram eTorque technology will keep a traditional 12-volt starter motor, which is ideal for cold starts and the initial start of the day.

Beyond spinning the engine for restarts, the eTorque also recaptures energy during deceleration and braking to recharge the battery pack. Further, Ram eTorque also bolsters the driving experience of the 2019 and 2020 Ram 1500 with additional torque to the crankshaft during gear changes, which minimizes noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH).

There is a slight variation in the Ram eTorque motor generator between the 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 and the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 applications to optimize performance in both powertrains. The Pentastar sports a liquid-cooled Ram eTorque unit mounted on the front of the engine. The HEMI V-8 features an air-cooled Ram eTorque unit that is mounted toward the top of the engine where a traditional alternator would be located.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read the literature. ETorque is primarily beneficial in city stop and go droving.

yrralguthrie

Reaction score
Etorque does provide a boost when starting up from a stop. It also affects the braking, by providing braking from the etorque system when in very light braking and some in medium. It also does work above 10 mph. In my normal everyday driving, I drive at a maximum of 55 and a lot of 30-40 with few stop lights. Under those conditions, it will get about the same mileage as highway miles. The etorque system also starts the starting system lessening wear on a starter. It also provides power when the transmission is shifting at any speed. When an automatic transmission shifts it shifts somewhat like a unsynchronized manual on a semi. The "input" gear speed has to match the "output" gear speed so when shifting up the "input" has to speed up. All in all, it is a pretty sophisticated system, which has some very positive effects. Everything put together it provides about a 2mpg increase in fuel use. The Ram factory people say this and by looking back at generation 4 pickups with the Hemi I see people indicating fuel mileage at least 2 miles per gallon less than what I see for generation 5. Of course, if you have so heavy a foot that you only get 12-16 mpg anyway you very likely won't see as much difference. If you power up to stop lights and brake hard at the last second and weave in and out of traffic your mileage is going to suck. This is an innovation one might want to keep an open mind about. Sometimes we complain about an innovation not getting a significant positive change, but over the years the incremental changes add up and make a better vehicle.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've found the EPA estimates listed on the window sticker are a little higher than what most people will reasonably get but a fairly good representation if your drive very conservatively. Ram list 18-23 for the 2WD and 17 - 22 for the same truck but 4x4. I've probably averaged a little over 17 mpg in my last 3 Rams and all were 4x4. My driving is mostly highway. If I had a 2wd I wouldn't expect more than about 1 mpg better. I don't think I ever saw a tank at the highest epa estimate, but I suspect it's possible under perfect conditions. A flat highway with no wind and driving 60 mph or slower while never seeing stop sign. It's also very easy to see mpg below the bottom city estimate depending on driving habits.

As far as HP, I've never dyno'd but my new 23 with eTorque does have anywhere near the same seat of the pants acceleration as my 2012 or 2017 had and they all had the 5.7 and are rated 390+ hp by the factory. Don't get me wrong, it's still more than adequate for my needs, but there is a noticeable lack of acceleration compared to my last 2 trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread