5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading the owners manual, it says 89 gasoline is recommended as it using Top Tier gasoline. The only Top Tier gasoline available locally does not hav

jzinckgra

Reaction score
I don't know how some of you guys are pulling 20+ mpg. Best I can do on my 50mi commute is 17.6 hand calculated and it's the same regardless if eco mode is on or off. That's about 60% highway and 40% back roads where I'm very light on the pedal. I've got 3.21 in the rear too.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how some of you guys are pulling 20+ mpg. Best I can do on my 50mi commute is 17.6 hand calculated and it's the same regardless if eco mode is on or off. That's about 60% highway and 40% back roads where I'm very light on the pedal. I've got 3.21 in the rear too.

There's too many hills in my area for good gas mileage. Need long flat roads

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I made 19.8 on a 300 mile trip but I didn’t recal my speedometer. So it was prob more like 20 to 21

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

should have got the 3.92:):):)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
89 didn’t make a difference for fuel economy for me. Might have been a little better on power. I’d rather take the cost savings.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I actually spoke with someone in the refinery industry, she stated that often times, most octane levels are actually slightly higher than advertised to prevent them for accidentally being too low, so they overshoot just in case.

Often, an 87 will be closer to 88 or 89. Also, depending on how well the blender pump is working, which mixes 91 & 87 to = 89, you could be getting something even higher or maybe lower than advertised.

Either way, modern engines are designed to adjust accordingly, even with bad 87, it should still retard the timing. Then there is a question of pinging/detonation, and what that really sounds like. Some people can hear it clear as day, some can't and some have no idea what it sounds like.

Either way, the manual states 87 is acceptable, that should be the end of the conversation. 89 if you want the best performance, but if you don't notice a drop in mpg to make up the difference, no reason not to use 87 if you prefer.

834k3r

Reaction score
Just got done with a personal test of 87 vs. 89. After running several tanks of 89 (during travel baseball season where we tow our travel trailer), I ran two tanks of 87.

About halfway through the first tank of 87, I started noticing the engine would have a significant delay when moving after a stop. I would push the gas pedal as I normally do, and the engine would struggle. I added more throttle and then the engine was fine. That throttle delay got worse through the two tanks of 87.

I filled up again with 89, and shortly after filling up, the throttle delay is gone.

I did not notice any MPG difference (but I wasn't calculating it).

Personally, I'm done going with 87 (the throttle lag was uncomfortable).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got done with a personal test of 87 vs. 89. After running several tanks of 89 (during travel baseball season where we tow our travel trailer), I ran two tanks of 87.

About halfway through the first tank of 87, I started noticing the engine would have a significant delay when moving after a stop. I would push the gas pedal as I normally do, and the engine would struggle. I added more throttle and then the engine was fine. That throttle delay got worse through the two tanks of 87.

I filled up again with 89, and shortly after filling up, the throttle delay is gone.

I did not notice any MPG difference (but I wasn't calculating it).

Personally, I'm done going with 87 (the throttle lag was uncomfortable).
The throttle delay was probably caused because the PCM retarded the timing to prevent detonation. 87 oct would be a last resort, I need gas and nothing else is available, for me.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the differences in how the engines react to 87 is the quality of that 87 being used.

Just as long as it's Top Tier rated from a good station, it should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/