5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re: Diamond Black Crystal - Any Regrets?

Jcalton

Reaction score
I went through the same thing but mine is patriot blue. They took it for paint correction and in about 90% sure they waxed it and called it good, as well as putting a few more scratches on it for good measure.

When I said something about the new scratches and subpar "paint correction " they offered to let their guy try again. I told them it my truck wasnt his training. Oh, and where the truck was parked beneath a tree in their overflow lot, sap had dropped on the roof. It felt like sandpaper. After the correction, it was all still there. Took forever to get it back smooth.

I ended up compounding and polishing the truck myself. Actually, I'm half way through with it now, the rear fenders and tailgate are done, the rest of the truck has been clay bared, going to finish the correction this weekend. As I finished polishing each panel on the bed I applied the ceramic coating as well. The consumer stuff isn't quite as good as the pro grade but it's pretty good.

One thing though, you can scratch the truck with the ceramic coating just as easily as without if you dont take care when washing it. And if you do, it is harder to fix the scratch as you have to strip the panel of the coating to be able to fix the scratch and then get the coating reapplied. The biggest advantage the coating gives you is it's much easier to clean, doesnt require a lot of scrubbing and drying is much easier and faster. In my experience with black paint it's usually the drying where you put some scratches in it.

Definitely use the two bucket method, invest in some GOOD microfiber towels and wash mitt. Read up on how to properly clean them and the best way to wash the truck to avoid scratches.

I traded a 2018 Ram for my 2019, the 2018 was the black paint and it takes time and patience to keep it clean and scratch free. But boy does it look great when its done!

Here's a picture of the bed after I got done. The second is the reflection across the tailgate.

2094edc2e80912a529e8273ad06eb4d9.jpg
e06703e7a87572d012403d83f5b4ba7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

nicodywill

Reaction score
My 2016 Ram was black, it was also my last black vehicle ever.
They're hot as **** and these new huge cabins and lackluster A/C's would probably take forever to cool off.
They also look great after a wash and wax but get dirty a day later and show every speck of dust, dirt & every tiny scratch.
I absolutely love the way a black vehicle looks when set up right but my OCD tendencies just can't deal with them showing everything.
I went with Granite Crystal Metallic/Chrome and couldn't be happier.

NortheastRebel19

Reaction score
I have no regrets. Loving my black Rebel.

Looks very sharp clean .

I use a foam cannon with pressure washer and then two bucket method with bucket grids.

I have no swirl marks and use quick detailer with microfiber cloths.

buckeyecool71

Reaction score
No regrets here. I did have to take back to the dealer for the paint correction since it had many scrathes when it was delivered. Another thing, when taking for oil changes and any other maintenance, tell to put in bold black marker " DO NOT WASH". If they don't, it will get washed. The crap in those buckets are terrible.

I too have begun using the 2 bucket method. Works great!

Yedi

Reaction score
Black is the only way to go. When I bought mine, I told the salesman it better be perfect. They know I work at another dealer in the bodyshop. truck was detailed very good, and no greasy silicone dressing as requested per me. Those pictures are unacceptable, better have a guy that's picky and knows how to use a buffer.

Ive never waxed my truck, only thing I use is a spray on product called "dual polymer" its a waterless car wash/protective coating. simply amazing, first time I used it was on my 99 Tahoe, people couldn't believe it.

When I had my windows tinted on my rebel, the tint guy asked what did I put on my paint, as it was so slick....he looked at me like I was bluffing when I told him. The stuff just works. no swirls on my truck either, and I spray it right on all the textured plastic and leaves a nice semi gloss on those parts.

RockJock

Reaction score
Where do you guys have the ceramic coating applied?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where do you guys have the ceramic coating applied?

A reputable detailer that offers ceramic coating ONLY after a full paint correction. The amount of work is different for every vehicle to correct the paint, but to put down the coating it needs to be as perfect as possible. Detailers who skip this step to save work / cut their pricing are not the kind of place / people you want to go to.

Also a reputable coating company should also require the detailer's to be certified to apply their product(s), so ask to make sure they are fully trained in whatever they are doing for you from the company who makes the coating.

Va2019Ram

Reaction score
No regrets here. Took mine straight from the lot to the detailed for ceramic coating and he did paint correction. Those pictures make it look like somebody has been throwing coins at the vehicle. I would tell them to take a hike.
Love my Blacked Out 2019 ! Not sure what happened to that truck. But walk away!! Put down the pen and go get another one some place else. !! Like the low key metal flakes. Folks I dont know come up and say the love my truck..

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Ok, so just to give everyone an update. I decided to walk away from the Black Ram. Found a Crystal Granite loaded up and the dealer matched my deal and gave me a better trade value. This is the identical color/combo as my 2014 I bought new. I always loved the color and appreciated the fact that it didnt show dirt or swirl marks. I only thought about black on a whim and after seeing that truck it really scared me away from owning one. It wont be parked in a garage and while I love to detail my truck, it probably sees the car wash as often as it sees a hand wash. With all those factor combined, I really feel like I made the right call. Thanks again for everyones input and feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1828.JPG
    IMG_1828.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 70

graphguy

Reaction score
I was supposed to take delivery of my new 2019 Ram Limited in Diamond Black Crystal today. When I first saw it on Friday it was late and the truck was nasty, They told me they were going to detail it and come get it today. When I showed up it looked like crap. Swirls, scratches, scuffs, etc everywhere. I did not take delivery and they are supposed to be sending it out to a shop for a full paint correction tomorrow and I will try again. I can still walk away at this point.

Does anyone regret going with the black? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but my biggest concern is they just band-aid fix it and after a couple washes all the scratches come back.

Thanks for any feedback....
Never buy black . It looks great for 5 minutes.

Clean19

Reaction score
Congrats OP. not to be THAT guy, but people way over hype ceramic coating for the wrong reasons. I've coated about half a dozen cars myself, and I will tell you it's substantially easier to keep clean. Coating itself will not improve the quality of the paint, so I don't blame you for walking away from it. Once the clear coat is gone, it's gone. So the black 1500 you walked away from could have been corrected based on the pictures you showed me, but who's to say that paint wasn't corrected down to 2ml's or a single ml.

Reactions: Jtr

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Better to have a dirty truck than run it thru a car wash with brushes of any kind. Congrats on the new truck. Search for the $250 rebate on the forum.:)

Fidomac

Reaction score
Took mine to get corrected and coated within a month, and then became a detailer myself after that too!

View attachment 28293
I have had exactly ONE black vehicle in my life and swore I would never do it again ..... I live in the south.... black vehicles are noticeably hotter, look dirty easily and show scratches/swirl marks despite the best care.....

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had exactly ONE black vehicle in my life and swore I would never do it again ..... I live in the south.... black vehicles are noticeably hotter, look dirty easily and show scratches/swirl marks despite the best care.....

Honestly my truck looks cleaner down here than it ever did when I was up north. The roads are just way more dirty up there. (I do need to clean my wheels though, the white letters are disappearing under the brake dust)

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was supposed to take delivery of my new 2019 Ram Limited in Diamond Black Crystal today. When I first saw it on Friday it was late and the truck was nasty, They told me they were going to detail it and come get it today. When I showed up it looked like crap. Swirls, scratches, scuffs, etc everywhere. I did not take delivery and they are supposed to be sending it out to a shop for a full paint correction tomorrow and I will try again. I can still walk away at this point.

Does anyone regret going with the black? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but my biggest concern is they just band-aid fix it and after a couple washes all the scratches come back.

Thanks for any feedback....
That sucks...Had one black truck...never again!

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Can someone help explain what "paint correction" is? Is this something that the dealer's body shop has to do, or is this also done by a detailer before they apply the ceramic coating?

Users who are viewing this thread