5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re: Diamond Black Crystal - Any Regrets?

sparkygreen

Reaction score
I was supposed to take delivery of my new 2019 Ram Limited in Diamond Black Crystal today. When I first saw it on Friday it was late and the truck was nasty, They told me they were going to detail it and come get it today. When I showed up it looked like crap. Swirls, scratches, scuffs, etc everywhere. I did not take delivery and they are supposed to be sending it out to a shop for a full paint correction tomorrow and I will try again. I can still walk away at this point.

Does anyone regret going with the black? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but my biggest concern is they just band-aid fix it and after a couple washes all the scratches come back.

Thanks for any feedback....

Attachments

• IMG_2548.JPG
    IMG_2548.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3040.JPG
    IMG_3040.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_3178.JPG
    IMG_3178.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_6999.JPG
    IMG_6999.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_7572.JPG
    IMG_7572.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 280

drush

Reaction score
No regrets here. Took mine straight from the lot to the detailed for ceramic coating and he did paint correction. Those pictures make it look like somebody has been throwing coins at the vehicle. I would tell them to take a hike.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I like mine, but it never looks clean enough to notice that.

It was snowing the day I picked it up and when I got the overpriced paint protection crap, it rained on the way home :cautious:.

Firebird

Reaction score
Love mine! It does have swirls now, but I'm about to get it ceramic coated soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20190617_150120.jpg
    IMG_20190617_150120.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 133

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Mine was similar but not quite that bad. My buddy who is a detailer did a paint correction on mine and used the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic on it two weeks ago. It still looks good after I’ve washed it a couple of times.

32e1657378bb009df83dc6c154113847.jpg

I will say though. I’ll never own another black vehicle! Ha

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was supposed to take delivery of my new 2019 Ram Limited in Diamond Black Crystal today. When I first saw it on Friday it was late and the truck was nasty, They told me they were going to detail it and come get it today. When I showed up it looked like crap. Swirls, scratches, scuffs, etc everywhere. I did not take delivery and they are supposed to be sending it out to a shop for a full paint correction tomorrow and I will try again. I can still walk away at this point.

Does anyone regret going with the black? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but my biggest concern is they just band-aid fix it and after a couple washes all the scratches come back.

Thanks for any feedback....
Looks like they detailed it with sandpaper! But seriously, if it goes to a good body shop, I would expect it to come out looking like it should (brand new).

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My guess is after they correct it, (assuming they will do it right), it should be better than most trucks that we have received at delivery. I'd give it a chance to see how it turns out.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Regretted mine. I had black vehicles when I was younger and had hours to keep it polished and the swirls out. I don't have that time anymore. I got black because it was the truck I wanted. When I switched back to a diesel, I went with white again.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Thanks all for the quick feedback. Assuming it does come out ok, I will be heading to get it ceramic coated ASAP.

I was sort of on the fence about owning a black truck, but this whole thing really makes me question it!

I will give them the benefit of the doubt and see how it comes out tomorrow.

Vanguard27

Reaction score
Ahh, I see you also got the Dealer Installed Swirly Paint Option...

I had that on my 2009 Caliber SRT.. The Turtlewax black box would always make it vanish.

BlckDT

Reaction score
All my vehicles I have had are black. Just something keeps me going to that color. Over the years I have learned, and have been obsessive, to keep the vehicle clean. One thing I learned was not to take it through the touch car wash, rather touchless, or do it yourself with the double bucket method. Outside of that, and which I learned from this forum, is to get it ceramic coated! This is on the the todo list and will happen soon. I am hopeful they will take care of you and do it right.

Attachments

• IMG_1870.jpg
    IMG_1870.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: Jtr

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my 3rd black vehicle. I know the maintenance required to keep them looking great but truth is I do enjoy that aspect.

Fast forward to this truck, I had it ceramic coated a couple weeks in. I now wash this vehicle less than any color I've ever had and I think I've had them all and it always looks clean. Heck, a rainstorm make it look great.

If you don't like to do alot of maintenance, get it ceramic coated. After you do, you'll never regret getting black.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealers suck. They take a brand new truck and f it up when they’re supposed to be detailing it, making it nice for delivery. This is assuming the truck didn’t come from the factory with the paint screwed up like this. Apparently, dealerships have make ready crews who just go thru the motions and do the minimum to get the vehicle ready for delivery. Sometimes, they do more harm than good. They run it thru the dealership’s onsite car wash which can be brutal for the vehicle’s factory finish. If I was ordering a truck, I’d tell the dealership not to touch the truck when it arrives; at least as far as cleaning. I’ll take care of that myself. The dealership doesn’t give a flip that you paid $50k or more for your truck. Dealerships can be the weak link in purchasing a new vehicle, from making it ready for delivery to taking care of issues.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All my vehicles I have had are black. Just something keeps me going to that color. Over the years I have learned, and have been obsessive, to keep the vehicle clean. One thing I learned was not to take it through the touch car wash, rather touchless, or do it yourself with the double bucket method. Outside of that, and which I learned from this forum, is to get it ceramic coated! This is on the the todo list and will happen soon. I am hopeful they will take care of you and do it right.

I’ve heard people say double bucket method before. Can you elaborate on that? One for putting soap on the mitt and one for rinsing it out?

BlckDT

Reaction score
I’ve heard people say double bucket method before. Can you elaborate on that? One for putting soap on the mitt and one for rinsing it out?

Here ya go. Lots of other videos on YouTube. But, I referenced this one many times.

—-|||RAM|||-—
Phil

sent from my mobile device

jimk hunt

Reaction score
No color looks better when it's taken care of properly. If you're willing to hand wash and apply protection, keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread