5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ran rebel 1500 4w on the fly

Rebel 4x4

Reaction score
If I’m im driving along can I throw my truck into 4wheel hi on the fly?? I know that the 4low is probably out of the question or as long as I’m going really really slow thoughts and opinions please

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes you can. Up to 55mph or so, if it doesn't go just let off the throttle for a second or 2 so there is no load on it. After that you can drive at any speed you want. I have always stopped to put in 4low.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Surprisingly, this information is not explicitly detailed in the owners manual. Pretty big fail on Ram's part here, as there are NO instructions for engaging Lo range or the speed requirements for Hi range 4wd. (I came here to be all like "read the manual dude", and when trying to find it for you I found the LACK of info on the subject)

@RamCares this is bad. No where does is say you need to be stopped, and the transmission in Neutral in order to change the transfer case range. It's like they forgot a section in here. Also, the "where all the following conditions are met / not met" section does not list the conditions, it just lists the action of the lights on the switches.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do not have a 2019 manual, but the prior years you were to get the truck in motion 2 to 3 mph shift to neutral and makethe shift.

Stopped in neutral is an alternate method but not the recommended way.

I thought I had read somewhere that the new transfercase can be shifted even easier into 4lo.

You sure there isn't anymore information after that page.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do not have a 2019 manual, but the prior years you were to get the truck in motion 2 to 3 mph shift to neutral and makethe shift.

Stopped in neutral is an alternate method but not the recommended way.

I thought I had read somewhere that the new transfercase can be shifted even easier into 4lo.

You sure there isn't anymore information after that page.

Yeah the next pages detail the exact same info for the Five Position Transfer Case (w/ 4 Auto), but the instructions (or lack thereof) are word for word the same. Any modern vehicle I've driven with an electronic transfer case always recommends being stopped with your foot on the brake and the transmission in Neutral to make the shift. I agree, mechanically, you should be rolling ever so slightly (still in Neutral) to make the switch, but I believe legality issues are the reason for the similar verbiage seen with every other manufacturer's instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread