5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ramcharger (wireless charger) performance sucks

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does anyone else have issues with this? Seems like it can't keep my phone charged. I mean it loses charge while charging. I'm running Android Auto on my Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G. I don't stream or use it for music just Waze. Just seems like for something like this they should have added fast charging. The unit on the back is large, much larger than my fast wireless charger on my desk. What a waste of money. I might modify a fast charger to work in place of this.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I have a S21 5G and it works as good as my Samsung wireless charger. It takes about 30-40 minutes to top off my phone if it has about 65% battery. It doesn't charge as fast plugging it in but that's what I expect with wireless charging.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I have a S21 5G and it works as good as my Samsung wireless charger. It takes about 30-40 minutes to top off my phone if it has about 65% battery. It doesn't charge as fast plugging it in but that's what I expect with wireless charging.
I assume you aren't using your phone for Android Auto. It's that correct? I haven't tried it yet with the phone doing nothing.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I assume you aren't using your phone for Android Auto. It's that correct? I haven't tried it yet with the phone doing nothing.
Correct. I haven't found a need for Android Auto yet, but if I did it would have to be plugged in anyway.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Correct. I haven't found a need for Android Auto yet, but if I did it would have to be plugged in anyway.
I have AAWireless so I don't need it plugged in. I'll give it try without anything running. It might just not be powerful enough to charge while other things are running.

tech97elec

Reaction score
Mine doesnt charge much either but its probably the phone cover on mine thats causing it. I use the cord

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't use mine much but it's always worked fine when I have used it. My phone is an iPhone 12 Pro.

vincentw56

Reaction score
So an update on this, seems placement is key. I guess the coils weren't lined up completely. Seems to be a poor design, but if I put my phone all the way to the left, it works great. Charged my phone to 100% while still running AA. I do have to put my phone in sideways because of its size.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So an update on this, seems placement is key. I guess the coils weren't lined up completely. Seems to be a poor design, but if I put my phone all the way to the left, it works great. Charged my phone to 100% while still running AA. I do have to put my phone in sideways because of its size.
Yeah, placement is key. It's only charging if the LED is blue.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Yeah, placement is key. It's only charging if the LED is blue.
Well, the led was blue before. I just don't think it was getting full power because the coils weren't perfectly lined up or at least as close to perfect as possible. Better wireless charges have larger coils or multiple placements to make it work better.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tried to use it with my S21 Ultra and I get the blue light every once in awhile if the stars and planets are perfectly aligned, but I eventually gave up on it. I just wrote it off as my case being too thick and I like the case more than the wireless charging so... back to the cord.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Tried to use it with my S21 Ultra and I get the blue light every once in awhile if the stars and planets are perfectly aligned, but I eventually gave up on it. I just wrote it off as my case being too thick and I like the case more than the wireless charging so... back to the cord.
My S20 Ultra works now even with my think car. I just have to make sure it as far left as it will go, sideways with the power button up.

mike146

Reaction score
Has anyone figured if we can swap out a fast charger for current wireless charger?

Also, it seems as if none of the USB ports are fast charging either. At least my Samsung s21 charges so slow using the present USB ports . For all the tech in this truck,.the USB ports are from 2012 instead of 2022.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone figured if we can swap out a fast charger for current wireless charger?

Also, it seems as if none of the USB ports are fast charging either. At least my Samsung s21 charges so slow using the present USB ports . For all the tech in this truck,.the USB ports are from 2012 instead of 2022.
I use the USB-C ports. It fast charges my Pixel 5 and Pixel 6. My wife uses the USB port inside the center console, it fast charges her Pixel 3XL.

eerattler

Reaction score
Is there any reason why there are not two coils to wireless charge two phones?

thomasshawn

Reaction score
agree 100%. s22 ultra, slide it way to the left. will charge but using AA for anything and the phone will lose charge over a long drive. Blue light stays on no issues once I found the correct spot. I have noticed a few times that on an hour plus drive my phone will get really hot and the blue light will flash red. I pull the phone put it in the cup holder for a bit and then it will charge again without issue. That huge space should definitely have the ability to charge more than one phone or at a minimum have the ability to rapid charge. Waiting for someone to get brave enough to mod the OEM location and post a how-to. I've considered fabbing up one that can run off the 120V plug on the cavernous center console.

egnarp

Reaction score
I have a Pixel 5 and it charges fine even while using Android Auto.👍

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
the wireless charging pad is indeed slow. Especially when using the phone for Android Auto. Also annoying that I have to remove the case on the phone.
So I use a cable (usb c to usb c) and that goes better. But in none of the cars I drove I had fast charging via usb. If you really want to use fast charging, you need to have one of the 12v cigarette chargers that support quickcharge.

Users who are viewing this thread