5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jakmc25

Reaction score
I purchased a used 2019 Ram 1500 with Rambox after starting to look for tonneau covers I noticed a lot use the cargo rail in the bed. Unfortunately the previous owner removed those rails from this truck and I didn’t catch it before purchase. I’m having some trouble finding the correct rails can anyone help with this?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You should know that there are two versions of utility rails for the rambox bed. If you got the factory bed cover you would have had black rails. These sit higher when mounted. If you didn't get the factory bed cover you would have had silver rails. This definitely makes a difference in which bed cover you buy. Most aftermarket bed covers require the silver rails. I believe the rails in the link ElkoNV provided is for the black rails.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You should know that there are two versions of utility rails for the rambox bed. If you got the factory bed cover you would have had black rails. These sit higher when mounted. If you didn't get the factory bed cover you would have had silver rails. This definitely makes a difference in which bed cover you buy. Most aftermarket bed covers require the silver rails. I believe the rails in the link ElkoNV provided is for the black rails.
EDIT: I was mistaken, mine are black as well. I apologize for any confusion.

Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Minor note... sometimes if you received the factory bed cover, you'll get the black rails. I got the factory tri-fold, and mine are silver.
Interesting. That's good to know. Was your bed cover factory installed or dealer installed (I can't remember if that was part of BUG on the Limited or not)?

If your truck had the MFT it would be the twin to my wife's Limited. Hers came with the black rails and factory installed tri-fold cover. I had to swap them for silver rails for the bed cover we bought for it. Other Limited's with the rambox option we looked at also had black rails if they came with the factory cover. I guess that's what I get for assuming again.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. That's good to know. Was your bed cover factory installed or dealer installed (I can't remember if that was part of BUG on the Limited or not)?

If your truck had the MFT it would be the twin to my wife's Limited. Hers came with the black rails and factory installed tri-fold cover. I had to swap them for silver rails for the bed cover we bought for it. Other Limited's with the rambox option we looked at also had black rails if they came with the factory cover. I guess that's what I get for assuming again.
I apologize, I was mistaken. The rails on my 2014 (that I traded for this 2020) were silver, and that must have been what I was thinking. I checked again today, just to be sure, and mine are indeed black, so you are correct.

Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize, I was mistaken. The rails on my 2014 (that I traded for this 2020) were silver, and that must have been what I was thinking. I checked again today, just to be sure, and mine are indeed black, so you are correct.
Thanks for the correction, and no apology needed. Everyone makes mistakes. (y)

ijanderson29

Reaction score
I just came across the same issue. Dealer installed bed cover with black rails, but I ordered after market bed cover and it won't fit unless you have the silver rails.
Does anyone know the part number for the left/right Silver Rails for rambox?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have those part numbers on hand, but they have been posted in other threads that talked about this. When we went through this the parts guy was able to find them easy enough.

Users who are viewing this thread