5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox (only) Tonneau

EricJRegan

Reaction score
Just got off the phone w Morrie. Too easy. My new mx4 is ordered and should ship quickly. Next Thursday allll the toys get put on- minus the diablo tuner that is still on backorder. On a side note- can someone point me to a thread that has good tuner advice if I can’t get Diablo to send me one soon? I’ll post pics of the lift and intake/exhaust etc after everything is on.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Morrie told me this morning that Bak has now pushed back the shipping for the RevolverX4 another month, after previously telling him they should ship this week. Sigh. I should just resign myself that the cover will be available in the spring.

EricJRegan

Reaction score
Morrie told me this morning that Bak has now pushed back the shipping for the RevolverX4 another month, after previously telling him they should ship this week. Sigh. I should just resign myself that the cover will be available in the spring.
Ya, he told me that too. Fortunately, I didn’t want that one. Sorry for you though! He also told me something interesting as to why the delay occurred with the ram boxes being on hold a few months back and why the big snafu with everything. Apparently the company that made the ACTUAL ram boxes went out of business and Ram/Fiat had to source them from someone else. This affected the measurements etc and threw everyone off Bc their measurements were based off the original OEM supplier. Fascinating gossip... lol. Unverified but interesting.

cjmst23

Reaction score
I talked with BAK while testing the mx4. They concluded that the utility rails in early runs were slightly thinner than the current production. This caused a redesign on the bak rails.... Which is the foundation of the entire system. This caused delays.

mlvnsmly

Reaction score
Bak is fabricating custom rails for me for the MX4. They gave me an ETA of 5 days plus shipping. Hopefully, this will be my last rail shipment.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Do the updated rails slide out easily? There are circumstances where I will need the full width of the bed. I am hoping I can slide those rails off fairly easily if I happen to need the width.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just installed the MX4 I ordered Jan 3rd and was surprised that it came with the earlier slide-in rails, not the new clamp down version that @cjmst23 got. I figured what the heck and tried installing them and while they don't just glide in, I had no issues pushing them on without any lubrication. I was expecting trouble as others have reported here but it installed as intended and works just fine.

@thcmas35 - I don't see any reason you couldn't slide them right back out but if you did it often enough I can picture them getting a little loose maybe.

I am going to have to get creative on waterproofing as the simple bed seal is not going to cut it with the RamBox. There are several nooks and crannies that are going to need attention.

cjmst23

Reaction score
A couple of things...

Yes, the clamp on rails slide out super easy after you loosen the set screws with allen wrench.

Early rams actually have a slightly (hundeteths of an inch) thinner utility rail because ram switch suppliers early on. For this reason, some trucks still work with the original bak rail design... But all new trucks won't.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A couple of things...

Yes, the clamp on rails slide out super easy after you loosen the set screws with allen wrench.

Early rams actually have a slightly (hundeteths of an inch) thinner utility rail because ram switch suppliers early on. For this reason, some trucks still work with the original bak rail design... But all new trucks won't.
So the clamp or slide in rails are the ones that later builds need?

cjmst23

Reaction score
So the clamp or slide in rails are the ones that later builds need?
Yes....that's the theory.

Keep in mind, the clamp rails work no matter what. The ones without clamps only work on the thinner utility rails and since we're talking 0.001 of an inch there's no way to tell.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Yes....that's the theory.

Keep in mind, the clamp rails work no matter what. The ones without clamps only work on the thinner utility rails and since we're talking 0.001 of an inch there's no way to tell.
Which one do the later builds need? Mine has a mid October build.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I just installed the MX4 I ordered Jan 3rd and was surprised that it came with the earlier slide-in rails, not the new clamp down version that @cjmst23 got. I figured what the heck and tried installing them and while they don't just glide in, I had no issues pushing them on without any lubrication. I was expecting trouble as others have reported here but it installed as intended and works just fine.

@thcmas35 - I don't see any reason you couldn't slide them right back out but if you did it often enough I can picture them getting a little loose maybe.

I am going to have to get creative on waterproofing as the simple bed seal is not going to cut it with the RamBox. There are several nooks and crannies that are going to need attention.
Who did you order from?

mlvnsmly

Reaction score
It looks like mine was 11/02 (MDH number) and I got one rail that worked and one that didn't.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A couple of things...

I'd still like to know when the rails changed since mine was built 9/8, exactly one month before yours.

It would also be great if Bak asked build date to send the right rails.

Users who are viewing this thread