5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox extender "hooks"

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is directed to those who have received their RamBox Truck. I have seen a couple pictures posted here of the RamBox bed with the tailgate down and in both pictures I don't see the Bed extender "hooks" near the tailgate. Did yours come with them? I find it strange they were missing in the two pictures I saw
Here is a picture of these hooks in use

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:

cjgerson

Reaction score
Yep mine definitely is missing them. I reported it first thing to the dealership and they have the necessary parts on order.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is directed to those who have received their RamBox Truck. I have seen a couple pictures posted here of the RamBox bed with the tailgate down and in both pictures I don't see the Bed extender "hooks" near the tailgate. Did yours come with them? I find it strange they were missing in the two pictures I saw
Here is a picture of these hooks in use

I'm really dense, sorry. Where am I looking on this picture for the exact "hooks?" I want to make sure I check for this when I eventually pick up my truck.

cjgerson

Reaction score
I'm really dense, sorry. Where am I looking on this picture for the exact "hooks?" I want to make sure I check for this when I eventually pick up my truck.

I have circled in red what is missing on my truck and what i should look like on the pic @Slim shared..

Attachments

• IMG_4601.JPG
    IMG_4601.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 960
  • IMG_4602.JPG
    IMG_4602.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 935
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 911

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I previously posted this in the "What is known about the BUG" thread which focused on the documentation changes removing the word "extender":

I have a growing suspicion that RAM legal has decided to drop the RamBox extender functionality by simply deleting the four attachment points near the bed like @Douglas31 received. That would line up with the documentation change.

I'm imagining someone overloaded their bed, the extender broke and spewed pots, pans, and granny's rocker all over the highway. Sued FCA and they decided, "let's just drop the extender function moving forward." Cheap fix and pure speculation on my part.

Then my devious mind turns to "how to get the four attachments through parts." What if a previous year owner needed a replacement for one of them? You can probably order spare parts, get back into business, and RAM can disavow any responsibility because you made an "unsupported modification."

Now to get the dealer to pay for these upon delivery...

ericd

Reaction score
My dealer is not charging me for the parts and said they will be contacting RAM. I have just sent them a request for what the parts numbers are and will share.
Oh good. At least they still have the holes drilled in the correct spots. It doesn't seem like any trucks are coming with the hooks but at least they can be added after the fact.

ericd

Reaction score

At 7:09 he opens up the tailgate and the demo does have the hooks. Interesting. On this truck they have the hooks on the bottom as opposed to the top like previous models.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a growing suspicion that RAM legal has decided to drop the RamBox extender functionality by simply deleting the four attachment points near the bed like @Douglas31 received. That would line up with the documentation change.

I'm imagining someone overloaded their bed, the extender broke and spewed pots, pans, and granny's rocker all over the highway. Sued FCA and they decided, "let's just drop the extender function moving forward." Cheap fix and pure speculation on my part.

My thoughts also.

My dealer is not charging me for the parts and said they will be contacting RAM. I have just sent them a request for what the parts numbers are and will share.

Anxious to hear what Ram tells them

Marusho

Reaction score
As ever, I am curious if anyone has ACTUALLY added these posts to a 5th Gen truck, and the cost.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As ever, I am curious if anyone has ACTUALLY added these posts to a 5th Gen truck, and the cost.
Dealer ordered them and installed them at no cost, as they were supposed to be part of package when I ordered.

stubright

Reaction score
My Rambox order came with the extender but the lock was missing along with the hardware at the tailgate.The dealer ordered both items and installed them under warranty.

Easy fix if they are missing

Lettika

Reaction score
I had the dealer order the parts and I put them on. They did not charge me for them.

Marusho

Reaction score
Let me rephrase my question about availability of the parts needed to restore functionality to the Bed Extender. I have no interest in involving my dealer. I'd like to know if an owner has succeeded in purchasing the parts, where they were found, what they cost and whether the thing acutally worked afterwards. MOPAR-EXTENDER-PART-68054996AA.jpg MOPAR-EXTENDER-PART-68054997AB.jpg

stevetom84

Reaction score
I purchased them from MoparAmerica and recently put them on. No issues at all and are exactly what was needed to use the divider as an extender. I would have to look up the transaction for cost for these alone (I also got the bed step....a must have). You'll need 2 of each part for the complete installation of the extender.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
I purchased them from MoparAmerica and recently put them on. No issues at all and are exactly what was needed to use the divider as an extender. I would have to look up the transaction for cost for these alone (I also got the bed step....a must have). You'll need 2 of each part for the complete installation of the extender.
Can you give part numbers?

stevetom84

Reaction score
Can you give part numbers?

This was my order:

82215289AB - Step Kit-Side -$276.10 (this is the bed step that was mentioned)
68054996AA - Handle-Swivel Release -$22.37 (QTY 2)
68054997AB - Inner Panel Grommet - $14.69 (QTY 2)

Subtotal: $350.22
Promo discount 8%:-$28.02
Shipping (United States Post Office):$23.78
Total:$345.98

grinch72

Reaction score
I went to my dealer and told them they were missing. Also showed them where it said the bed steps came with the BUG in the brochure. They ordered all parts and installed them all at no charge! Got the parts for the extender and the bed steps.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Brochure on the ram website no longer list the bed step or extender else you look at the ram truck TX (Texas?) brochure.

Users who are viewing this thread