5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBox extender "hooks"

Mjhenk

Reaction score
Thanks to all for contributing to this thread. Got the parts yesterday to turn my divider into an extender. Probably overkill, but does anyone know the torque installation specs for parts 68054996AA and 68054997AB? Guessing around 15 ft lbs, but, as an engineer, knowing the Mopar recommended torque would satisfy my need for perfection. Thanks!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for contributing to this thread. Got the parts yesterday to turn my divider into an extender. Probably overkill, but does anyone know the torque installation specs for parts 68054996AA and 68054997AB? Guessing around 15 ft lbs, but, as an engineer, knowing the Mopar recommended torque would satisfy my need for perfection. Thanks!
The bottom pegs are torqued, but the top pegs are not since they need to be able to be pulled out and turned to lock/unlock the extender. I snugged down the bottom pegs with my 3.8 ratchet. If I had to guess I'd say it's around 20 ft/lbs. But I didn't use a torque wrench. For the upper pegs, tighten them enough that there is about 1/4 inch of movement when you pull out on them. You'll probably have to adjust from there with the extender installed. Too tight and you won't be able to turn the handles enough to lock/unlock them, and too loose is...well...too loose LOL.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In short, no. You do want them fairly tight obviously...but you'll need to be able to turn the top locking handles.

Mjhenk

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I threw them on this afternoon and torqued to 15 ft lbs. The tops spin with only minor effort to engage with the extender, and seem to lock appropriately. Bottoms seemed tight enough at that torque, but I used a dab of blue thread lock on each set of threads just to be safe.

Now on to research soft roll up tonneau covers for a Rambox-equipped 5'7" box.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I threw them on this afternoon and torqued to 15 ft lbs. The tops spin with only minor effort to engage with the extender, and seem to lock appropriately. Bottoms seemed tight enough at that torque, but I used a dab of blue thread lock on each set of threads just to be safe.

Now on to research soft roll up tonneau covers for a Rambox-equipped 5'7" box.
Hope it helped. I'm assuming you test fitted the sxtender after installing the pegs.

My unsolicited opinion on covers is to look into the Truxedo LoPro. I've had them on my last three Ram 1500's and I'm extremely satisfied with them. Make sure you research which bed rails are required for the cover you decide to get though. Some require the sliver rails and some require the black ones. And the guys at the dealerships are sometimes less than helpful with this information.

BNeal

Reaction score
What size Torx bit do I need for these lugs? Just moved from Iowa to Texas and my tools are buried in storage.

Sarge925

Reaction score
Not sure if this was mentioned. I just talked with my dealership for my 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn with Rambox and they said when they pull up the part number, there's a warning that these parts for the bed extender are not to be used on the DT trucks due to the fact they block the view in some situations of the rear tail lights. I tried to see if they would provide for free and they said because of that warning they can't. They also cannot install them. So I have to purchase them and install them on my own.
Do you happen to have a link or the parts number. I have a 2020 Limited DT. I ordered off of Amazon and I guess I didn't read it close enough but the parts were for the Classic and didn't fit my truck.

BNeal

Reaction score
Do you happen to have a link or the parts number. I have a 2020 Limited DT. I ordered off of Amazon and I guess I didn't read it close enough but the parts were for the Classic and didn't fit my truck.
See post #37 in this thread. Everything you need can be found there.

RyanT1122

Reaction score
2022 limited longhorn and I see the holes your talking about. Why would they release a statement like that which makes no sense? Obstructs rear view mirrors? Is that a joke

Majortom

Reaction score
2022 limited longhorn and I see the holes your talking about. Why would they release a statement like that which makes no sense? Obstructs rear view mirrors? Is that a joke
I haven’t heard the argument that it obstructs the rear view mirrors. But I have heard they claim it blocks view of the tail lights/turn signals if viewed from an angle.

RammerJammer

Reaction score
I found several sellers on Ebay, and the price has dropped considerably over the past year. Non-OEM can be found for $16, while the OEM is $42. Those prices are for the whole 4 piece bundle.

Users who are viewing this thread