5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Trucks Reduces The Complexity Of Its 2022 Ram 1500 Lineup!

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
dang, leather seats in the Rebel ONLY with the night package now... glad I scooped mine when I did!

edit: nevermind, wording is confusing and i'm not sure if you can get the leather without the night edition.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Welp, since ACC is a non-negotiable for me, I guess I'll need to either keep my current truck a while longer instead of ordering a new Longhorn or look at the competition. :mad:

Redfour5

Reaction score

Ram Trucks Reduces The Complexity Of Its 2022 Ram 1500 Lineup!​

Quad Cab Models Are Only Available On Tradesman & Big Horn Trims...​

View attachment 103724

As the RAM brand gears up for the production launch of its 2022 Ram 1500 pickup, 5thGenRams.com is now learning about the new methods that RAM is taking to ensure that production remains intact as the current semiconductor shortage continues. This includes RAM’s plan to reduce the complexity of its offerings for several models. So what can we expect?

I'm not surprised... If you search on autotrader or cargurus, you will get pages of ones to view...and then, for example, Cargurus doesn't filter out the quad cabs vs Crew Cabs... You will find Quads on the pages about 3 to 1 vs the Crews...meaning they must be harder to move...

Redfour5

Reaction score

View attachment 103724

As the RAM brand gears up for the production launch of its 2022 Ram 1500 pickup, 5thGenRams.com is now learning about the new methods that RAM is taking to ensure that production remains intact as the current semiconductor shortage continues. This includes RAM’s plan to reduce the complexity of its offerings for several models. So what can we expect?

Just noticed that the multi-function tailgate and Ramboxes have been eliminated from the Big Horn trim level. Glad I got a 2021 Built to serve with it. I wonder if it will make it worth more.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welp, since ACC is a non-negotiable for me, I guess I'll need to either keep my current truck a while longer instead of ordering a new Longhorn or look at the competition. :mad:
Unless I’m reading it wrong, you’ll still be able to get ACC on the Longhorn. ASG will still be offered on that trim.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just noticed that the multi-function tailgate and Ramboxes have been eliminated from the Big Horn trim level. Glad I got a 2021 Built to serve with it. I wonder if it will make it worth more.
That seems kinda dumb honestly, I feel like people getting BH's are more likely to use them for more work-related/intensive stuff than people getting Laramies or Limiteds. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I asked about this myself and my sales rep said she doesn't think it's possible to add afterwards. Can also get an aftermarket one if you feel like you definitely need it.
This needs to be clarified by RAM soon with a solution. Aftermarket is NOT an option. For the price of these trucks a $100 "credit" for removing them isn't acceptable. There was a blurb a while back from the NTEA truck show that talked about the new Trailer 360 View (sales code XN1) which is available. It also showed a slide for the TTPMS sensor kit (sales code XG9) It's clearly spelled out to be for HD and 1500 DT trucks. If "chip shortage" is the excuse so be it.....just spell out the alternative that I may obtain later and we're good.

Attachments

• XG9.jpg
    XG9.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 48
  • XN1.jpg
    XN1.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 48

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This needs to be clarified by RAM soon with a solution. Aftermarket is NOT an option. For the price of these trucks a $100 "credit" for removing them isn't acceptable. There was a blurb a while back from the NTEA truck show that talked about the new Trailer 360 View (sales code XN1) which is available. It also showed a slide for the TTPMS sensor kit (sales code XG9) It's clearly spelled out to be for HD and 1500 DT trucks. If "chip shortage" is the excuse so be it.....just spell out the alternative that I may obtain later and we're good.
Yeah, that even says you can get additional sensors. So it makes you wonder exactly which part of the system they (presumably) needed a chip for that they don't have/are allocating elsewhere.

Besides all that, I agree, I was pretty annoyed when I realized that they dropped it and all they did was take $100 off the price (that's a joke). Wasn't enough for me to cancel but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Yeah, that even says you can get additional sensors. So it makes you wonder exactly which part of the system they (presumably) needed a chip for that they don't have/are allocating elsewhere.

Besides all that, I agree, I was pretty annoyed when I realized that they dropped it and all they did was take $100 off the price (that's a joke). Wasn't enough for me to cancel but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.
I'm in sales (farm equipment) and business-minded enough that I understand from a big picture standpoint those of us on this forum might "yell" at RAM for making choices we don't like but to keep a factory rolling in a challenging environment decisions may/will have to be made we don't necessarily agree with. We're dealing with removal of features also because of supplier and chip shortage. At times I feel left in the dark as a dealer and have to give vague answers to MY customers as well. The difference is we DO eventually receive communication from the manufacturer of why a given option or feature has been removed and explanation of how to address it short-term and long-term.

That being said, the TTPMS is a big safety feature for towing a travel trailer cab clutter drives me NUTS. I don't even like the USB C cable running from the port to my phone to charge so I'm excited about Wireless Android Auto coming on UConnect 5. I don't want to have to add the little "tattletale box" that comes with aftermarket TTPMS systems to get info. I want it to be integrated right into the D.I.C. in the truck. If I have to buy the sensors ala' carte I'm OK with that unless they decide to charge me a first-born, an arm, and a leg to get it. 😆

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You'd think they'd also ditch the 2WD Rebel.
Why ditch it if people buy them? I can honestly tell you that I bought a new Rebel back in 2017 and never took it off-road in the nearly 3 years I owned it. I bought that Rebel because I like how they look. I bought one with 4wd because I have to deal with winter conditions where I live. But if I lived where I didn't have to worry about winter driving I'd prefer to buy a 2wd truck. Less expensive and better fuel economy. Also more favorable payload/tow rating.

Redfour5

Reaction score
That seems kinda dumb honestly, I feel like people getting BH's are more likely to use them for more work-related/intensive stuff than people getting Laramies or Limiteds. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm thinking work related are going for Tradesman, with the exception of maybe the independent builder who likely doesn't care anyway about a multi-function tailgate but some do like the Ramboxes... You can get pretty tricked out Bighorns. I'm thinking they took em off the Bighorn to push people wanting those things toward Laramies and Limiteds... More margin... I think this whole thing was very carefully thought out by FCA/Stellantis...who knows what bigger shark will buy em up next... I thought it was very interesting that they took the advanced safety package away from the Limited.

Edit: When I said "carefully" thought out, I'm thinking they are catering to what people are buying not what people want with a touch of limited chips playing into the algorithms. I noted somewhere else that, for example, you do a search on Cargurus that won't distinguish between quad cabs and crew cabs, you will see quads all over the search pages about three to one vs crews and particularly in Rebels I was noticing... If it won't move, why build it in a sellers market... Then do little tweaks that tend to push buyers up the trim level to improve margins overall.

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score
I'm in sales (farm equipment) and business-minded enough that I understand from a big picture standpoint those of us on this forum might "yell" at RAM for making choices we don't like but to keep a factory rolling in a challenging environment decisions may/will have to be made we don't necessarily agree with. We're dealing with removal of features also because of supplier and chip shortage. At times I feel left in the dark as a dealer and have to give vague answers to MY customers as well. The difference is we DO eventually receive communication from the manufacturer of why a given option or feature has been removed and explanation of how to address it short-term and long-term.

That being said, the TTPMS is a big safety feature for towing a travel trailer cab clutter drives me NUTS. I don't even like the USB C cable running from the port to my phone to charge so I'm excited about Wireless Android Auto coming on UConnect 5. I don't want to have to add the little "tattletale box" that comes with aftermarket TTPMS systems to get info. I want it to be integrated right into the D.I.C. in the truck. If I have to buy the sensors ala' carte I'm OK with that unless they decide to charge me a first-born, an arm, and a leg to get it. 😆
I didn't realize that the TPMS was being taken off some of them. I agree with you. Towing a trailer, that is a major plus for me. Like you, I already have an aftermarket rear trailer camera monitor hanging off the window and don't want an after market tpms to add to it. The aftermarket camera monitor works great so that made the "wiring" without camera not necessary, but the TPMS was a big bonus.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I'm 90% certain they are included and only available with the Limited Level 1 package now. They're removing certain previous Ala carte options and making them only available in packages. Hopefully we'll all know much more soon!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Why ditch it if people buy them? I can honestly tell you that I bought a new Rebel back in 2017 and never took it off-road in the nearly 3 years I owned it. I bought that Rebel because I like how they look. I bought one with 4wd because I have to deal with winter conditions where I live. But if I lived where I didn't have to worry about winter driving I'd prefer to buy a 2wd truck. Less expensive and better fuel economy. Also more favorable payload/tow rating.
If you liked it strictly for appearance, you likely would have spent the extra to get 4WD if that was the only way to get one.

GM26J

Reaction score
Too bad they are dropping the Quad cab for the Laramie. I was just about to order one. I guess most buyers are just shuttling kids around to soccer practice and don't really care about a usable bed size.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score

View attachment 103724

Wonder how long we will have to wait to find out the color options for the Back Country Edition, one of my coworkers wants to order one.
The dealer cant give him much information.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm thinking work related are going for Tradesman, with the exception of maybe the independent builder who likely doesn't care anyway about a multi-function tailgate but some do like the Ramboxes... You can get pretty tricked out Bighorns. I'm thinking they took em off the Bighorn to push people wanting those things toward Laramies and Limiteds... More margin... I think this whole thing was very carefully thought out by FCA/Stellantis...who knows what bigger shark will buy em up next... I thought it was very interesting that they took the advanced safety package away from the Limited.

Edit: When I said "carefully" thought out, I'm thinking they are catering to what people are buying not what people want with a touch of limited chips playing into the algorithms. I noted somewhere else that, for example, you do a search on Cargurus that won't distinguish between quad cabs and crew cabs, you will see quads all over the search pages about three to one vs crews and particularly in Rebels I was noticing... If it won't move, why build it in a sellers market... Then do little tweaks that tend to push buyers up the trim level to improve margins overall.
Worked on me. I went from a Laramie to a Limited mostly to make sure I got the blind spot monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online