5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram survey on future engine choices

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like they are hinting that a Turbocharged six-cylinder with 420 hp/ 460 lb-ft is the replacement for 5.7 Hemi and trying to gather info on how many buyers they would lose/not lose by dropping the V8

853E3A2E-778A-4964-80A7-0978FD6E5EA8.png
83DF451F-0090-4820-BED3-64E8D8C32D72.png

Highertechnology

Reaction score
I got this today also.

There was also emphasis on electric and Long-range electric options.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep I got that this evening as well. took just over 5 minutes.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Nova90

Reaction score
Got it too, they are obviously testing to see how receptive the market might be to dropping the V8.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are there more details on the engine? Such as displacement, V6 or inline 6, compression ratio, direct injection?

magic280z

Reaction score
They were supposed to be working in a turbo i6. They said this is because they didn't want to sacrifice the low end torque of the hemi. I guess adding turbos to the Pentastar didn't produce the results they wanted.

For the Pentastar drivers I would be curious about the new Jeep 4xe drive train. Or a Pentastar version of that. I think the 4xe is what etorque should have been. Is 2mpg really worth all the up front and potential maintenance cost of a complex turbo system? If you could have a drivetrain that gave excellent double digit gas mileage increases for daily commuting and still be able to hop in and drive 10± hours that would be a great stepping stone to all electric or a household with one electric and one hybrid. Which is more likely the short term solution. We are probably going to end up one electric and one gas since the RAM HEMI isn't going anywhere soon.

The polluting industries also need to participate. Passing all of this cost off to the consumer is unfair when we are not responsible for the bulk of the pollution.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. I'll take the V8 with less torque any day of the week over a direct inject turbo.
I've had three different direct inject turbo's over the last 8 years and while they all had fun seat of the pants low rpm torque, they ALL exhibited a 'jerkiness' to them under normal driving/acceleration. If you own/drive one long enough you'll surely know what I'm talking about. This is the reason I've gone back to LOVING a naturally aspirated, port injected V8; the linear sheer smoothness under normal and spirited acceleration.
If someone can eventually design a buttery smooth direct inject turbo then I'll have a go. (Not to be confused with a direct inject supercharged engine) I've driven one of those and it was smooth as butter. Something about the turbo/DI combo just ruins the smoothness to me.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The straight six is going to debut in the Wagoneer this fall.

Hoping the 6.4l from Grand Wagoneer makes its way to the RAM.

ALREADY rumors of thr straight 6 over 500hp/tq

TravisJ

Reaction score
Nope. I'll take the V8 with less torque any day of the week over a direct inject turbo.
I've had three different direct inject turbo's over the last 8 years and while they all had fun seat of the pants low rpm torque, they ALL exhibited a 'jerkiness' to them under normal driving/acceleration. If you own/drive one long enough you'll surely know what I'm talking about. This is the reason I've gone back to LOVING a naturally aspirated, port injected V8; the linear sheer smoothness under normal and spirited acceleration.
If someone can eventually design a buttery smooth direct inject turbo then I'll have a go. (Not to be confused with a direct inject supercharged engine) I've driven one of those and it was smooth as butter. Something about the turbo/DI combo just ruins the smoothness to me.

Yah, the Jeep Cherokee turbo is rough. The jerkiness and lag pretty much ruined the fun of the turbo. Of course I only used 87 in it which probably did it no good. Which that is another problem, any direct turbo will probably recommend 91+ octane...I will pass on paying that much for fuel in a truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2010 Audi A4 has a direct injected 2.0L turbocharged engine. To me it feels very smooth. I definitely haven't felt any jerky-ness in it. Even so, I do not want a small displacement turbocharged engine in a full sized truck. Just because they can doesn't mean it's a good idea. I'd much rather have a N/A larger displacement v8 chugging along than a harder-working small displacement engine that needs forced induction to approach the same power numbers as the v8. A harder working engine will die sooner.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PCV dumping ahead of the intercooler will clog it with oil. Sigh.
Turbo lag can be resolved...but will RAM do it?
Turbo bearing oil requirements.

Sigh.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Wagoneer debut only showed the 5.7L for this fall... maybe they wait for model year #2 to keep it fresh?
The wagoneer debut that just happened only has rhe 5.7 for Wagoneer and 6.4 for grand wagoneer. In the fall...the straight six will make its debut...in the wagoneer twins

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I loved the 2.7L Ecoboost in my F150, super strong, honestly faster than my Hemi RAM in pretty much all metrics, vastly better mpg as well, no lag, just a jewel of a motor.

But I honestly would prefer the V8, still quick but sounds so much better, especially with an aftermarket muffler.

I would love RAM to offer a more powerful Inline-6 TT in the future for the 1500. But I would like the Hemi to also be available as an option. Ford still offers the 5.0L V8 with their Ecoboost, I think RAM should do the same.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Wagoneer debut only showed the 5.7L for this fall... maybe they wait for model year #2 to keep it fresh?
But the real breaking news is the addition of the all-new GME-T6 (Global Medium Engine – Turbocharged 6-Cylinder) engine. The all-new inline-six-cylinder engine is the future of rear-wheel-drive (RWD) based powertrains for Ram and Jeep vehicles. The GME-T6 H.O. (High-Output) engine will deliver somewhere around 525 horsepower according to our sources. It will mark the first time that this all-new engine is used in any Stellantis application and will be available later this year, a few months after the initial launch of the Grand Wagoneer.

Of course, in a hurry and can not find the article that lists this fall.

But you get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread