5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram survey on future engine choices

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dual turbo v6? Well, the Alfa Giulia has one. I wonder how related the two engines are/will be?

(I'm seeing word that the GME-T6 may be an inline design. Obviously, not much mechanically in common with a v6, in that case.)

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dual turbo v6? Well, the Alfa Giulia has one. I wonder how related the two engines are/will be?

(I'm seeing word that the GME-T6 may be an inline design. Obviously, not much mechanically in common with a v6, in that case.)
Yeah, the Alfa TT V6 is basically a Ferrari TT V8 with 2 cylinders cut off. No way that would go in anything but a specialty vehicle, and definitely not in a truck.

The GME T6 should be a 6 cylinder derivative of the inline 4 cylinder GME T4. I'd assume it'll be single turbo, maybe with a little electric help. I guess maybe we'll see in the fall.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yah, the Jeep Cherokee turbo is rough. The jerkiness and lag pretty much ruined the fun of the turbo. Of course I only used 87 in it which probably did it no good. Which that is another problem, any direct turbo will probably recommend 91+ octane...I will pass on paying that much for fuel in a truck.
Maybe you had something wrong with you 2L turbo Jeep Cherokee, I have no issues with my turbo Trailhawk, the main thing that I do not like is the sound of it compared to my 2 previous 3.2L V6 Trailhawks.
As for the 91 octane, I drove from northern Ontario Canada to Florida on 87 octane and drove all the way back on 91 octane, no difference in engine performance or fuel economy, the main difference was it had cost $80 more for the 91 octane for the trip back home.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But the real breaking news is the addition of the all-new GME-T6 (Global Medium Engine – Turbocharged 6-Cylinder) engine. The all-new inline-six-cylinder engine is the future of rear-wheel-drive (RWD) based powertrains for Ram and Jeep vehicles. The GME-T6 H.O. (High-Output) engine will deliver somewhere around 525 horsepower according to our sources. It will mark the first time that this all-new engine is used in any Stellantis application and will be available later this year, a few months after the initial launch of the Grand Wagoneer.

Of course, in a hurry and can not find the article that lists this fall.

But you get the idea.

That article is almost 3 years old. There hasn’t been much info since then

TravisJ

Reaction score
Maybe you had something wrong with you 2L turbo Jeep Cherokee, I have no issues with my turbo Trailhawk, the main thing that I do not like is the sound of it compared to my 2 previous 3.2L V6 Trailhawks.
As for the 91 octane, I drove from northern Ontario Canada to Florida on 87 octane and drove all the way back on 91 octane, no difference in engine performance or fuel economy, the main difference was it had cost $80 more for the 91 octane for the trip back home.

Engine performance is reduced if you don’t use 91. Someone tested it and the torque takes a hit, can’t remember if horsepower took a hit too. I think the torque was better than what one gets out of the 3.2 still...but you aren’t getting max performance on 87.

The 2.0 has quite a bit of turbo lag. It has been tested side by side the 3.2 Cherokee and it isn’t actually any faster because of the lag.

I loved it for the gas mileage, pretty much got the advertised highway mileage around 30 in the summer. However, I wasn’t gambling on that 2.0 engine long term...especially since I ran 87 instead of 91.

djjr50

Reaction score
Seems like they are hinting that a Turbocharged six-cylinder with 420 hp/ 460 lb-ft is the replacement for 5.7 Hemi and trying to gather info on how many buyers they would lose/not lose by dropping the V8

View attachment 86710
View attachment 86711
While I might miss the lovely sound of the V8, the fully battery electric option interests me most. Reduced maintenance costs, potentially reduced fuel costs (and starting with a 'full tank' each morning), and more flexible architecture could lead to some pretty cool products.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, the Alfa TT V6 is basically a Ferrari TT V8 with 2 cylinders cut off. No way that would go in anything but a specialty vehicle, and definitely not in a truck.

The GME T6 should be a 6 cylinder derivative of the inline 4 cylinder GME T4. I'd assume it'll be single turbo, maybe with a little electric help. I guess maybe we'll see in the fall.
A few links up led to this: https://moparinsiders.com/fca-files-patent-related-to-upcoming-turbo-inline-6/

That diagram (patent?) shows two turbos. And an inline 6. ;) (For whatever that diagram is worth.)

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If and when the time comes to replace my Ram, nothing will do other than a V8. If one isn't available in the 1500 I would step up to a 2500, or switch mfrs. The only vehicle I ever considered purchasing with a straight six was a Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 (that was a great combo), just didn't have the interior space for a growing family.

Greenscape

Reaction score

I think they are saying straight 6... BMW style.. Bulletproof !

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not a fan of turbos. I remember my mother's Dodge Lancer with a 2.2L turbo. Nothing wrong with the car, but the turbo didn't last.
I had the Chrysler version of that car--Lebaron GTS. I loved that car. Never had turbo issues, but I didn't keep it forever.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I havent got a survey. Where was it sent to for everyone? (I.e., email, ram connect account, etc)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This was from back in March, I think mine came via email.
Oh lol, I didn’t realize that the original post was from before I bought the truck. Thanks!

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh lol, I didn’t realize that the original post was from before I bought the truck. Thanks!

Lol no problem! I made the same mistake at first but thought "they sent out another survey?" before I looked up to the original post.

Greenscape

Reaction score
I am not a fan of turbos. I remember my mother's Dodge Lancer with a 2.2L turbo. Nothing wrong with the car, but the turbo didn't last.
Evolution happens.. Plenty of Turbo issues mostly resolved in the last 10 years. The list of great turbo charged engines is vast.. BMW straight 6 !

GreatWhite

Reaction score
My last truck was a f150 with the 3.5l ecoboost.... what a POS! I get better MPG with my hemi. I'll take the V8 all day!

The only 6 cylinder with a turbo that I would consider would be a cummins!

Users who are viewing this thread