5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram reliability?

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can honestly say the same thing . Aside from oil changes and tire rotations mine hasn't been back to the dealer at all .
Same here...although I would probably take it to the dealer only for extreme issues anyways....worst part of owning a Ram by far.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m contemplating trading in on a new Laramie. Is it safe to assume that a lot of the issues of the early builds have been corrected, or am I being a glutton for punishment? LOL.
I had a 2019 bought back under lemon law! I was done with ram after the way 3 dealers and ram jerked me around. So I went out and looked at all the trucks , well I tried to. Because of COVID I was laughed at at Ford dealers when I wanted to see and drive a 2021 f 150 they were built and sitting in storage waiting for parts😩 I always been a Chevy guy and and never had issues, but the interior is ugly! Toyota is overpriced and the gas milage sucks! I love the ram when it performs the way it should! However even though I think it’s the nicest truck for the money, I also believe it has the most unresolved problems of any auto maker! I’ve Owned lots of vehicles in my life! So I built a 2021 ram. I can tell you the a/c is 110% better in the 21. The breaks are still a issue for me and my tires are wearing funny and all chewed up on the edges at 2500 miles😩 I believe these tires are to soft for these truck s and shame on them for using them. The dealers tell me it’s normal wear and that’s BS! I’ve driven chevys 30,0000 miles with same tires that had less wear then the 19 and the 21 do at 2500 miles😩 My 19 had the whole front end replace, rack and pinion, axles, drive shaft, etc etc with no fix on my vibrations. I love my 2021 however I don’t trust it at all, it will be traded at 35 month s with 20,000 miles or so! I will seriously look at the new tundras they are putting turbo 6 cylinders in 2022! I do believe Toyota’s are one of the most reliable vehicles on the road! I absolutely love the hemi 😁 It’s a very hard choice, good luck in whatever you decide. If you buy the ram I would dump it before the factory warranty is over, that’s my 2 cents!

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2019 bought back under lemon law! I was done with ram after the way 3 dealers and ram jerked me around. So I went out and looked at all the trucks , well I tried to. Because of COVID I was laughed at at Ford dealers when I wanted to see and drive a 2021 f 150 they were built and sitting in storage waiting for parts😩 I always been a Chevy guy and and never had issues, but the interior is ugly! Toyota is overpriced and the gas milage sucks! I love the ram when it performs the way it should! However even though I think it’s the nicest truck for the money, I also believe it has the most unresolved problems of any auto maker! I’ve Owned lots of vehicles in my life! So I built a 2021 ram. I can tell you the a/c is 110% better in the 21. The breaks are still a issue for me and my tires are wearing funny and all chewed up on the edges at 2500 miles😩 I believe these tires are to soft for these truck s and shame on them for using them. The dealers tell me it’s normal wear and that’s BS! I’ve driven chevys 30,0000 miles with same tires that had less wear then the 19 and the 21 do at 2500 miles😩 My 19 had the whole front end replace, rack and pinion, axles, drive shaft, etc etc with no fix on my vibrations. I love my 2021 however I don’t trust it at all, it will be traded at 35 month s with 20,000 miles or so! I will seriously look at the new tundras they are putting turbo 6 cylinders in 2022! I do believe Toyota’s are one of the most reliable vehicles on the road! I absolutely love the hemi 😁 It’s a very hard choice, good luck in whatever you decide. If you buy the ram I would dump it before the factory warranty is over, that’s my 2 cents!
Wow! And I thought my truck had issues! Mine has been more of an annoyance than serious mechanical failures. I traded in a 2015 Sierra for my RAM and I had zero issues with it. Problem is, I hated it. It was boring. The interior was cheap, and I had no emotional attachment to it. I really love my RAM but I am worried about the reliability as the warranty expires. I’d still rather have it then any other truck out there at the moment. I was just hoping that all the issues were sorted out. But I guess not. Heard back from the dealer today that the 3rd brake light is the cause of the latest leak. It goes back in for replacement Friday. Meanwhile the odometer hit 34k today……

Last edited:

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! And I thought my truck had issues! Mine has been more of an annoyance than serious mechanical failures. I traded in a 2015 Sierra for my RAM Asnd I had zero issues with it. Problem is, I hated it. It was boring. The interior was cheap, and it I had no emotional attachment to it. I really love my RAM but I am worried about the reliability as the warranty expires. I’d still rather have it then any other truck out there at the movement. I was just hoping that all the issues were sorted out. But I guess not. Heard back from the dealer today that the 3rd brake light is the cause of the latest leak. It goes back in for replacement Friday. Meanwhile the odometer hit 34k today……
Agreee I had a orange 2015 Silverado no issues but boaring lol

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! And I thought my truck had issues! Mine has been more of an annoyance than serious mechanical failures. I traded in a 2015 Sierra for my RAM Asnd I had zero issues with it. Problem is, I hated it. It was boring. The interior was cheap, and it I had no emotional attachment to it. I really love my RAM but I am worried about the reliability as the warranty expires. I’d still rather have it then any other truck out there at the movement. I was just hoping that all the issues were sorted out. But I guess not. Heard back from the dealer today that the 3rd brake light is the cause of the latest leak. It goes back in for replacement Friday. Meanwhile the odometer hit 34k today……
I’d dump it now!!!?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d dump it now!!!?
My job gives me an auto stipend with the stipulation that my vehicle must be less than five years old.. In October, my truck will be three.. I was hoping to make it to five, pay it off, and trade it in. We will see how it goes! If I start putting out-of-pocket money into it, I will definitely dump it.

The other problem is that I spent quite a bit on accessories, upgrades, etc., and I will never get any of that money back. My truck is just a BigHorn, but it’s kind of a wanna be Laramie. LOL.. and I love the way it looks.

When I get a new truck, I will definitely want new tires/level, exhaust, etc. Plus, I really prefer the Night Edition, and they are very rare on the lots at the moment.. like I previously said, I’m not buying a GM, and the Fords are just ugly to me..I’ve never even considered a Tundra.. somehow it just doesn’t seem right to me to not buy an American truck.. so I’ll probably roll the dice with another RAM when the time comes. Wish me luck!

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Wow I hear a lot of frustration and bad things here...I hope that will not be the case when I will get my truck.
And besides the new Uconnect 5, I assume that most small and biggers issues from the 5th gen Rams will be solved in the 2022 MY

St-na

Reaction score
If the OP wants reliability, buy a 2019 Nissan Frontier. It's had the same styling and powertrain since 2005, so all the bugs have been worked out long ago. Plus, they're relatively cheap.

In fact, with all the Ram problems I've been reading about, I'm beginning to lean that way myself.
This is funny. To compare Nissan Frontier with RaM? Is like to compare 2014Rav4 with 2021Mercedes GLE. These trucks are like day and night, in all respects. I had 2019 Frontier for 2 weeks, when my 2014RaM was in body shop. Was missing my RaM every single minute. 2021 Laramie even much much better. I never met in person any unhappy RaM owners, except few with diesel. From thousands trucks, few may have a problems. I switched to RaM brand in 2015 from Ford, and enjoying my RAM's very much. Interior, driving comfort, technology, reliability best in Class.

Trucked

Reaction score
I love my 2019 BH.

I came from a Ford F-150 XLT and also loved that truck, however, the interior and exterior of the Ram 1500 can’t be beat. And the Hemi and the ride! Gas mileage is as expected but averaging 18 mpg with so cal in town/fwy driving.

I leased the Ram due to reliability concerns but I’ve had no major problems. I’m close to the 36m/36k warranty and have decided to buy out my lease.

A major issue that happened once that scared the crap out of me was the tranny not catching on a left turn and coasting off to the side and requiring me to restart. Luckily, I wasn’t making an aggressive turn in front of oncoming traffic. That happened around year 1 but not since (knock on wood).

Few minor issues - infrequent moaning sound when backing out and sometimes a grinding sound turning right in parking garages. But all in all, I love my truck.

bocco

Reaction score
So far I love my 21 Laramie. Only 4K miles so far. But you guys are scaring the hell out of me.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So far I love my 21 Laramie. Only 4K miles so far. But you guys are scaring the hell out of me.

It's an auto forum, it's where enthusiast and people with problems go, so you will get an higher percentage of owners complaining that isn't representative of the actual population of owners.

I'm also on Toyota forums, and it's no different in terms of people discussing issues there as well, that's just the nature of auto forums.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's an auto forum, it's where enthusiast and people with problems go, so you will get an higher percentage of owners complaining that isn't representative of the actual population of owners.

I'm also on Toyota forums, and it's no different in terms of people discussing issues there as well, that's just the nature of auto forums.
I agree with this 100%.

But, these forums are valuable to learn about problems, concerns, and how to get them fixed if you are in a similar situation. So it's good that people come here and talk about what's happening with their trucks.

Perspective is everything. Ram will make and sell over 500,000 1500's every year (supply chain issues not-with-standing)... over 1.5 million trucks on the road since they've gone into production. That's a huge population to draw from which should be kept in mind.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree with this 100%.

But, these forums are valuable to learn about problems, concerns, and how to get them fixed if you are in a similar situation. So it's good that people come here and talk about what's happening with their trucks.

Perspective is everything. Ram will make and sell over 500,000 1500's every year (supply chain issues not-with-standing)... over 1.5 million trucks on the road since they've gone into production. That's a huge population to draw from which should be kept in mind.

Absolutely, exactly right on that. There are real problems that effect certain vehicles, and definitely a correlation that it is more common than not and it's important it's discussed here and issues can be resolved easier with the help of these forums.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram is about 2-1/2 years old with 34k miles with no problems, and still have original tires and pull a 6k lb travel trailer. What are the odds of getting 2 different model years with the same front-end problem?

I came to this forum before I bought the truck. It was a fairly new release and I actually questioned whether I should buy a Ram because of the negative post here. In the end after reading magazine reviews, I decided to get the Ram. I have owned mostly GM my entire life, with few Dodge Caravans and a couple of Dakota's (never a Ford). I can't say I haven't had some issues with Dodge before, but over-all I have never had a major issue that cost big bucks. My biggest complaint was they seemed to rust quicker than many GM's. My 2011 Silverado I bought used before the Ram, had the significant signs of an issue with the 5.3L that supposedly was fixed after the 2009 model year. Luckily, I got rid of it before it failed. This could have been a major expense since warranty was over, that issue is one of the reasons why I decided not to get another Chevy, the other was I just liked the looks and ride of the Ram better.
Although I can't speak from experience on foreign cars/trucks, I think most manufacturers have had some problems, just think about some of the recalls you hear of in the news.

I guess my point is as others have said, more negative reviews on forums from people trying to see what others have observed, what the fix or correction is, or how dealers responded and probably a small percentage of the sold trucks. I haven't been here on forum much because I haven't had issues. But you shouldn't make a buying decision based on a few people's experience here. Do your own research and use your own personal experience.

I normally wouldn't buy a new model year vehicle until the following year to hopefully avoid issues that crop up with new models. I really had no choice with my 19 Ram because I didn't want to buy another used vehicle or wait to see if my Chevy engine fried. So far all has worked out fine, I really like my Ram way more than my Silverado. I'm thinking of waiting until the truck is 5 years old, hopefully that doesn't bite me, I'm not one to buy extended warrenty's.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
2019 Limited w/ 31k. No issues other than the ac and the clamp fixed that. Gas mileage sucks but I expected that.

St-na

Reaction score
2019 Limited w/ 31k. No issues other than the ac and the clamp fixed that. Gas mileage sucks but I expected that.
I drive about 20k miles/year with average 16m/gal, having 18 m/g will save me 140 gallons a year, it's absolutely nothing, almost 0, taking in consideration price of the truck and insurance costs. 395 hp! What to expect? From my point of view gas mileage is pretty good, but I never really think about it.

Levi Morgan

Reaction score
The 2021 Silverado is ranked dead last in customer satisfaction. Dead last to all vehicles not just trucks. Something seriously wrong going on at GM. Bent pushrods and bad injectors. The transmissions are failing in the Duromax.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve owned 5 rams and have only had a issue with one . 2013 u connect update when I brought it . Once repaired no other issues. My 03, 07,19 were all quad cabs -Each had 130-180 k when traded except the 19 which I traded for the Limited - No issues at all. Limited has 14 k miles -No issues.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve owned 5 rams and have only had a issue with one . 2013 u connect update when I brought it . Once repaired no other issues. My 03, 07,19 were all quad cabs -Each had 130-180 k when traded except the 19 which I traded for the Limited - No issues at all. Limited has 14 k miles -No issues.
I was a Dodge Tech from 1998-2003. Worked at an independant shop working on all makes and models of vehicles 2003-2005. I've always preferred Ram trucks. My very first vehicle was a 1984 Dodge Ram. Since then, I've owned a 1998 2500 Cummins, 2006 2500 Cummins, 2005 1500, 1985 Step Side 4x4, and a 2019 Ram Rebel. I currently have a TRX on order. I've owned many makes and models of vehicles mixed in with all of those Ram trucks. While I prefer Ram and have had few issues with any of them, it is truly a crap shoot with any vehicle. Buy what you like, take care of maintenance, enjoy your vehicle. If you don't like it for some reason, try something else. We all have our own wants, needs and expectations from our vehicles. For me it's about smiles per mile. Keep shifting and Grinning!!!

Users who are viewing this thread