5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram reliability?

ElliottAugust

Reaction score
Hey guys I really have a problem here. I really like ram and Chevy. I wanted to know if I get a Ram 1500 with the 5.7l will I be getting a reliable 200k miles plus truck? I am not trying to hate on rams or anything I like them all. But I am 19 and want a good reliable truck and ram is a few bucks cheaper. So please if I could get some information about how good the 5.7l and the over all reliability of ram trucks have been to you that would be great. Thanks guyshttps://sarkariresult.onl/ Mobdro https://pnrstatus.vip/

Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might want to expand on your definition of reliability.

The 5.7 has been pretty much the same for many years now so many get 200K miles and more.

The ZF transmission is seen as one of the best in the industry.

Everything else you do need to remember historically that Ram does tend to be at the bottom of the consumer review reports.

And I will say that Ram dealerships do tend to be the worst.

Luckily they have the best looking product right now!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are no guarantees on how many reliable miles that you will get with ANY vehicle that you purchase. Really, a 200,000 mile plus vehicle that requires zero maintenance is a Unicorn. Any vehicle that you purchase will require some repair and reconditioning over time and miles. Anything beyond the warranty is a crap shoot. If reliability is your primary concern and money is an issue; then buy a lesser optioned truck and spend some of that "option" money on a MOPAR Mazimum Care Vehicle Protection Plan.

Ramaroo

Reaction score
With Maximum Care Vehicle Protection Plan, it only goes to 125k if I see the site right. Assuming the plans offered are money makers, and not losers, they represent a losing bet to the buyer of course, but I haven't heard anything specific about it.

RainDesert

Reaction score
I've had mostly fords over the last 20 years. Several Chevy, and now last 3 are Ram since 2017 when I felt Ford dropped in reliability. A ram tradesman with standard 5.7 hemi is the most reliable American 1/2 ton truck you can currently buy, that's what I drive. Tundra was on my list too but i needed 6.5 bed and crew cab.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With Maximum Care Vehicle Protection Plan, it only goes to 125k if I see the site right. Assuming the plans offered are money makers, and not losers, they represent a losing bet to the buyer of course, but I haven't heard anything specific about it.
Any extended warranty is a peace-of-mind thing, not necessarily an investment that pays. Just like your health insurance, homeowner's insurance, etc. is, for the majority, a "money loser", but we all hate to be without it.
Yes, in aggregate, extended warranties make money for the company offering the warranty, but that doesn't necessarily make them a losing bet to the consumer. We paid $2k for the Toyota extended warranty (7yr/70k mi) on our old Prius, and it paid for $4.5k worth of repairs after the new-car 3/36 warranty ran out. Given that these days a single engine control computer can cost the same as the warranty, and an automatic transmission can cost 2X-3X the price of the extended warranty, one should at least consider buying the extended warranty.
Another aspect is, can one afford the cash payout if a major component fails? If you buy the warranty, and roll the ~$2-3k cost of the warranty into the monthly payment it adds ~$40-50/month to your payment, then all you have to come up with is the $100-200 deductible, not $2k for an engine control computer, or $6k for a new transmission.
Like I said, peace of mind, and does one have the cash on hand to pay for the failure of one of the big-ticket items?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had mostly fords over the last 20 years. Several Chevy, and now last 3 are Ram since 2017 when I felt Ford dropped in reliability. A ram tradesman with standard 5.7 hemi is the most reliable American 1/2 ton truck you can currently buy, that's what I drive. Tundra was on my list too but i needed 6.5 bed and crew cab.
The last gen Tradesman Express is probably the best bang for the buck out there. I'm currently enjoying my Bighorn but miss my Tradesman

NHRoadking

Reaction score
Reliability and Ram may be hard to find. Do some research. JD Power and Consumer reports rate Ram low. Look at Edmunds too, Ram reviews are not great overall.

All brands have issues, but Ram seems to have more.

Just look at the threads here on AC issues, water leaks, etc.

It's a nice truck, but quality seems to be suffering.

Last, an extended warranty sounds great until you're stuck on the side of the road somewhere.

2020RamSport

Reaction score
If the OP wants reliability, buy a 2019 Nissan Frontier. It's had the same styling and powertrain since 2005, so all the bugs have been worked out long ago. Plus, they're relatively cheap.

In fact, with all the Ram problems I've been reading about, I'm beginning to lean that way myself.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the OP wants reliability, buy a 2019 Nissan Frontier. It's had the same styling and powertrain since 2005, so all the bugs have been worked out long ago. Plus, they're relatively cheap.

In fact, with all the Ram problems I've been reading about, I'm beginning to lean that way myself.
And I thought the Tundra was the only truck that hadn’t been refreshed in over a decade...

Boston

Reaction score
First year vehicles suffer from lack of development. Second year they figure out how to fix the problems. Year three, regardless of manufacturer is when the bugs have gone.

41magmag41

Reaction score
go with the ram 1500. I have a 2019 comimg up on 1 year of ownership, 28000 miles so far with the 5.7 and 8 speed tranny. Not a lick of problems and getting roughly 18 mpg, thats when i keep my foot out of the throttle.

SirLavidor

Reaction score
Once you drive the Ram and get a look at the interior and ride quality you'll likely realize you can't beat it especially for the price. The Chevy interior looks cheap. Trucks in general are way overpriced but Rams tend to be cheaper especially with the generous rebates. 2019 was the first year Ram made the top 10 in reliability according to the major trade organizations and media. A V8 is historically good for 300k if well maintained, even my 1970's Chevy 350 went that long. The other nick knacks may fail but the drivetrain is good for your requested 200k if you keep up the maintenance.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Reliability and Ram may be hard to find. Do some research. JD Power and Consumer reports rate Ram low. Look at Edmunds too, Ram reviews are not great overall.

Last, an extended warranty sounds great until you're stuck on the side of the road somewhere.
killing my Ram 1500 spirit but do appreciate the honesty.
The last Consumer Report actually has all the trucks reliability as below average.

Kizzo02

Reaction score
First year vehicles suffer from lack of development. Second year they figure out how to fix the problems. Year three, regardless of manufacturer is when the bugs have gone.

Agreed. This is also true for other products outside of automobiles as well. For a new generation, folks have to remember that the 1st and 2nd year are basically beta testing; some will be lucky and not have any problems, and others will be going to the dealership more often. It's a luck of the draw when a new platform is introduced, regardless of the manufactururer.

For the 2021/or 2022 model year, most of the big issues should be ironed out. However, with the amount of technology in these vehicles, there will always be some small issues.

Last edited:

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys I really have a problem here. I really like ram and Chevy. I wanted to know if I get a Ram 1500 with the 5.7l will I be getting a reliable 200k miles plus truck? I am not trying to hate on rams or anything I like them all. But I am 19 and want a good reliable truck and ram is a few bucks cheaper. So please if I could get some information about how good the 5.7l and the over all reliability of ram trucks have been to you that would be great. Thanks guyshttps://sarkariresult.onl/ Mobdro https://pnrstatus.vip/
I’ve always been a Chevy guy and always had great luck with them. Bought my first ram 19 in November. Why I went with the ram over Silverado! The new chevys are ugly inside and out. I do like the outside of the trail boss. The ram has the most power, the best looking inside and out, best driving, riding truck I’ve ever been in. I got about $4,000 more in options for the same price as a Chevy without all them extra options. I’ve had a few issues with my new ram as you can have with any vehicle. Gas milage is not the best with the 5.7 3:92 gears, but I love the way it drives, it feels very confident my 15 Silverado felt sloppy with the 3:08. In the long run I’d guess the new ram will require more repairs over time and cost more than the Silverado. Good luck with your decision.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just curious, how many Rams have you owned?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, all trucks built today are disposable and are not built to last. Gone are the days that you would buy a truck and keep it for 20+ years.

I used to have a 94 F150 and that thing was built like a tank. My last truck was a 2015 GMC Sierra. That truck, and this new RAM, are definitely nowhere near as solid as that old Ford.

The sheet metal is so flimsy, and almost everything on the truck is made out of plastic.

Go look at your front grille and tell me how cheesy it is!! Everthing snaps together like LEGOs!!

I could stand on the hood of the F150. I dare you to try that on your RAM!!! If the wind blows right it will have dents all over it!!

Open up your door and watch the whole inner door jamb panel bend and flex where the hinge is!!

Slam your door. Does it sound solid? Go gently push on your front fender and watch how it bows about 3/4 of an inch!!

This is not a slam on RAM at all. It’s just the way they make vehicles today. They are made to be disposable! They pack them with technology that will be obsolete in 5 years, so there is no reason to make a vehicle that lasts 20 years.

They ride nice, they look nice, they’re comfortable, they’re safe...and they will fall apart in 6 or 7 years. Then you buy a new one. As soon as it’s paid off!!

Users who are viewing this thread