5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram reliability?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, all trucks built today are disposable and are not built to last. Gone are the days that you would buy a truck and keep it for 20+ years.

I used to have a 94 F150 and that thing was built like a tank. My last truck was a 2015 GMC Sierra. That truck, and this new RAM, are definitely nowhere near as solid as that old Ford.

The sheet metal is so flimsy, and almost everything on the truck is made out of plastic.

Go look at your front grille and tell me how cheesy it is!! Everthing snaps together like LEGOs!!

I could stand on the hood of the F150. I dare you to try that on your RAM!!! If the wind blows right it will have dents all over it!!

Open up your door and watch the whole inner door jamb panel bend and flex where the hinge is!!

Slam your door. Does it sound solid? Go gently push on your front fender and watch how it bows about 3/4 of an inch!!

This is not a slam on RAM at all. It’s just the way they make vehicles today. They are made to be disposable! They pack them with technology that will be obsolete in 5 years, so there is no reason to make a vehicle that lasts 20 years.

They ride nice, they look nice, they’re comfortable, they’re safe...and they will fall apart in 6 or 7 years. Then you buy a new one. As soon as it’s paid off!!
In fairness, the criteria have changed. Safety regulations, emissions, fuel-economy, and most of all, the tastes of today's consumer, have all changed radically since the early 1990s. It's a totally different world now.
Also, there ARE a lot of real-world stories out there for all makes of trucks built in the 2000s that have gone 300,000 or 500,000 miles, even 1,000,000 mile pickup trucks on occasion.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In fairness, the criteria have changed. Safety regulations, emissions, fuel-economy, and most of all, the tastes of today's consumer, have all changed radically since the early 1990s. It's a totally different world now.
Also, there ARE a lot of real-world stories out there for all makes of trucks built in the 2000s that have gone 300,000 or 500,000 miles, even 1,000,000 mile pickup trucks on occasion.
I agree with you and I understand that the criteria has changed. Consumers demand new technology every other year, all vehicles get totally redesigned from the ground up every 5 years. In the old days, a vehicle platform would be in production for 20 years!! Now they can design one in 3 hours.

A ton has changed even from the early 2000s to now. A 2000 - 2010 truck is way more than solid a new one. No doubt about it.

You can not deny that vehicles nowadays were not built to last. They were built to be recycled in 10 years! I didn’t mean to imply that you couldn’t put a lot of miles on new vehicles. You just better do it in less than 10 years, because these things are going to fall apart!!

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
A few points.
First, if you google "2020 Ram 1500 reliability" there are lots of positive articles and some even place it very high on the list of reliable trucks.
Second, with regards to durability, the engines of newer vehicle should last 200,000+ miles with standard maintenance.
Most vehicles as failure is the 90% of electronics, interior issues which prevent people from keeping them for the entire duration.

bondovw

Reaction score
I bought a new ram and had nothing but issues . My Dodge dealers in my area were not very good to me. I ended up having to trade the brand new truck in at a big loss. I think if you truly want reliable a older truck would be better or by a tundra.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
While I love my truck, it has been the most problematic vehicle I’ve ever owned.
Engine and tranny have been reliable. Rest of the truck not so much.

From brake squeal, to failed mirror, to USB ports not working, center console noise, ambient lighting out from factory, seat creaking now (after three trips to dealer, still not fixed), now new front end noise when going over bumps, seat belt rattle, and the list goes on and on. They just got the new part for the seat (they say they have to replace the lumbar section, which will entail another trip to the dealer next week).

Also, my truck is in pristine condition and not driven much. I just hit 20k miles a few weeks ago. June 9th was it’s three-year anniversary.

Truck has been at the dealer more times than my last ten vehicles combined in just three short years. I won’t be getting another RAM when the time comes, which is sad since RAM has the best ride and styling of any truck, bar none.

Cheers,

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My ‘19 Longhorn has had just a few gremlins:

- Rear Seats wouldn’t recline at delivery (fixed after 2-3 service visits)
- Early 12” UConnect build does not support centerlines when reversing (small oddity but unable to add to my configuration with firmware or software flashes; at least the dealer tried)
- Rear brakes squeal when warm from 50-20 mph (supposedly fixed under TSB, but problem persists)
- Power-folding mirrors exhibit some signs of gear wear, e.g. one “click” when starting to close. I’ve mentioned this to the dealership on past visits, as I plan to run it in for a final check and any warranty issues before September (when I’ll switch over from factory warranty to Mopar Lifetime MaxCare).

I’ve put just shy of 18K miles on the truck thus far. It’s always garaged, ceramic coated over PPF, receives its oil (PUP) and filter changes from yours truly with care, and has been mechanically solid. Aside from a few small nicks in the windshield and leading edge of rear fender flares, it looks like it just rolled off the line.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the OP wants reliability, buy a 2019 Nissan Frontier. It's had the same styling and powertrain since 2005, so all the bugs have been worked out long ago. Plus, they're relatively cheap.

In fact, with all the Ram problems I've been reading about, I'm beginning to lean that way myself.

Attachments

• C8094325-DE0A-49B1-BFAF-C3EB61250296.jpeg
    C8094325-DE0A-49B1-BFAF-C3EB61250296.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 099487DB-A35A-4463-9577-731EB15BA0F3.jpeg
    099487DB-A35A-4463-9577-731EB15BA0F3.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 53
  • FB25A1B6-41D9-4B1E-A091-519C10AE142C.jpeg
    FB25A1B6-41D9-4B1E-A091-519C10AE142C.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 889BE7FA-1344-41C9-BFC7-9C5736A821D7.jpeg
    889BE7FA-1344-41C9-BFC7-9C5736A821D7.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 53

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Little frontier got the same mpgs as the hemi. Nice little truck but can’t compare to my rebel

Attachments

• 1CD3DF0A-353E-472D-82A8-FBD3CD718CFC.jpeg
    1CD3DF0A-353E-472D-82A8-FBD3CD718CFC.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 49

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a new ram and had nothing but issues . My Dodge dealers in my area were not very good to me. I ended up having to trade the brand new truck in at a big loss. I think if you truly want reliable a older truck would be better or by a tundra.
This sucks, when some of us are spending $60,000 plus they should be bending over backwards to keep us happy. All because of COVID they feel like who cares🤷🏻‍♂️😩

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I love my truck, it has been the most problematic vehicle I’ve ever owned.
Engine and tranny have been reliable. Rest of the truck not so much.

From brake squeal, to failed mirror, to USB ports not working, center console noise, ambient lighting out from factory, seat creaking now (after three trips to dealer, still not fixed), now new front end noise when going over bumps, seat belt rattle, and the list goes on and on. They just got the new part for the seat (they say they have to replace the lumbar section, which will entail another trip to the dealer next week).

Also, my truck is in pristine condition and not driven much. I just hit 20k miles a few weeks ago. June 9th was it’s three-year anniversary.

Truck has been at the dealer more times than my last ten vehicles combined in just three short years. I won’t be getting another RAM when the time comes, which is sad since RAM has the best ride and styling of any truck, bar none.

Cheers,
It is sad to hear, but I feel your pain brother. I have been at least passively looking at other manufacturers… I still like my RAM way better than the competition, but man.. enough is enough. I’m at ~34,500 miles, and it’s going back in next week for the second time for water leaking into the cab. Already had the window replaced in February of 20. They don’t think it’s the window this time, but I’m pretty sure it is. And it’s been back countless times for a bunch of other annoying things.. Just like yours, this thing has been back for warranty repairs more than all of my previous vehicles combined. It’s almost comical at this point. With my 3/36 about to expire, I have very serious concerns going forward.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is sad to hear, but I feel your pain brother. I have been at least passively looking at other manufacturers… I still like my RAM way better than the competition, but man.. enough is enough. I’m at ~34,500 miles, and it’s going back in next week for the second time for water leaking into the cab. Already had the window replaced in February of 20. They don’t think it’s the window this time, but I’m pretty sure it is. And it’s been back countless times for a bunch of other annoying things.. Just like yours, this thing has been back for warranty repairs more than all of my previous vehicles combined. It’s almost comical at this point. With my 3/36 about to expire, I have very serious concerns going forward.
I’d sell or trade it very soon if I were you! I’ll drive my 21 for 35 months, it will have only about 25,000 miles, but it will be gone at 35 months!

Boston

Reaction score
Frontier is a Tacoma sized truck. Thank god Nissan rounded it up and are replacing it. There is truly a moment when vehicles need to be put out to pasture but the frontier was ready for the slaughter house long ago.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2019 here, just turned 2 years old since I took delivery. Zero issues, and I mean zero faults so far. Honestly my most reliable vehicle I've owned since new, and I've owned many of them.

I am a picky guy, I don't let things slide, especially under warranty. I can't think of a single issue with this truck. Even the most complained things on this forum: my A/C is cold, my transmission shifts smoothly, no leaks, etc.

But if I do get an issue, you guys will be the first to know.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 here, just turned 2 years old since I took delivery. Zero issues, and I mean zero faults so far. Honestly my most reliable vehicle I've owned since new, and I've owned many of them.

I am a picky guy, I don't let things slide, especially under warranty. I can't think of a single issue with this truck. Even the most complained things on this forum: my A/C is cold, my transmission shifts smoothly, no leaks, etc.

You’re very lucky!!

Purchased on October 11, 2018. Current mileage ~34,500

List of issues off the top of my head:

Front bumper/fascia misaligned - sent to 3rd party body shop, slightly better - originally declined; had to argue with the Service Manager to get this approved

Rear doors misaligned / uneven gaps - declined / within factory spec

Intermittent “moaning sound” - ANC TSB performed

Rough shifting - TCM Module updated

Excessive wind noise at highway speed - declined / unable to duplicate

Radio rebooting - replaced module after three trips to the dealer

Check engine light - some sensor replaced (can’t remember which one)

Intermittent brake squeal - declined / unable to duplicate

Adjustable brake pedal recall

Passenger side view mirror physically defective (basically the mirror was falling off of my truck) - replaced

Rear sliding window leak - replaced

Power steering ground recall

Driver side rear view mirror heating element failed - replaced

Poor a/c performance First attempt: declined / no problem found; second attempt: TSB performed - moderate improvement; 49 degrees driver center/ 44 degrees passenger center post rework.

Passenger side view mirror physically defective - mirror was basically flopping around - replaced (again - second time)

Water leaking in to cab again; truck is going in Wednesday for evaluation.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You’re very lucky!!

Purchased on October 11, 2018. Current mileage ~34,500

List of issues off the top of my head:

Front bumper/fascia misaligned - sent to 3rd party body shop, slightly better - originally declined; had to argue with the Service Manager to get this approved

Rear doors misaligned / uneven gaps - declined / within factory spec

Intermittent “moaning sound” - ANC TSB performed

Rough shifting - TCM Module updated

Excessive wind noise at highway speed - declined / unable to duplicate

Radio rebooting - replaced module after three trips to the dealer

Check engine light - some sensor replaced (can’t remember which one)

Intermittent brake squeal - declined / unable to duplicate

Adjustable brake pedal recall

Passenger side view mirror physically defective (basically the mirror was falling off of my truck) - replaced

Rear sliding window leak - replaced

Power steering ground recall

Driver side rear view mirror heating element failed - replaced

Poor a/c performance First attempt: declined / no problem found; second attempt: TSB performed - moderate improvement; 49 degrees driver center/ 44 degrees passenger center post rework.

Passenger side view mirror physically defective - mirror was basically flopping around - replaced (again - second time)

Water leaking in to cab again; truck is going in Wednesday for evaluation.

That sucks man, any one of those would not make me happy, can't imagine all of those.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucks man, any one of those would not make me happy, can't imagine all of those.
Yup. My dilemma is that I really like my truck, and I don’t want to get rid of it. I was hoping that all the issues were behind me. I won’t buy a GM, that’s for sure… and the Ford? Meh….does nothing for me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yup. My dilemma is that I really like my truck, and I don’t want to get rid of it. I was hoping that all the issues were behind me. I won’t buy a GM, that’s for sure… and the Ford? Meh….does nothing for me.
I like my truck also, but going back to the dealer again next week is just getting old. Not sure truck will make it another month. Getting tired of this.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like my truck also, but going back to the dealer again next week is just getting old. Not sure truck will make it another month. Getting tired of this.
I’m contemplating trading in on a new Laramie. Is it safe to assume that a lot of the issues of the early builds have been corrected, or am I being a glutton for punishment? LOL.

Fatherof3

Reaction score

I can honestly say the same thing . Aside from oil changes and tire rotations mine hasn't been back to the dealer at all .

Users who are viewing this thread