5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Reliability? Dead last per Consumer Reports...

spyker7887

Reaction score
Hoping my first experience with Ram trucks gets better, mine likes to see the dealer every other week with new problems. It's nice place to sit and drives well down the highway, smooth as silk. Came from a 2010 Tundra and this Ram makes the Tundra feel like its from the dark ages interior wise. My Tundra had ONE warranty claim and very few repairs through 8 years and 140,000 miles. My old 07 Sierra was also very durable (pretty basic model) right up until it lost it's life to a Moose (replaced it with the Tundra in 2010)

The Ram keeps bugging out it'll be gone and either a new Sierra or Tundra back in the driveway. I won't miss the technology and fancy gizmos that much. Thinking maybe newer vehicles have a little too much technology causing all these issues?

My build date is 08/18

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This article has me worried. I've never owned a RAM, only Chevys. I really don't want to be investing in a vehicle that I could have continue issues with over the years. Talk me down!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/10/ram-ranks-last-in-consumer-reports-reliability-survey.html
Don't take Consumer Reports articles seriously unless you own a Toyota or a Honda. They are extremely biased. For years they have been calling the Jeep Wrangler a bad buy, junk, etc. My 2012 Wrangler was a problem free vehicle for the six years and 60,000 miles that I owned it. Consumer Reports kept bashing the Wrangler for its ride. No kidding; it's a Jeep; we want it to ride that way!

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a RAM, but I had a 2005 Dakota... 137, 135 miles when I traded it in, pretty much zero issues. I replaced the radiator about 5 years ago due to a pinhole leak... replaced the Transmission Control Module about 2 years ago.

Before that had a used late 90's Grand Caravan which only experienced issues *after* we took it to 'reputable' place to have the transmission oil/filter changed out...

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck in my signature was ordered last Monday, so yes, the decision has been made. I was just trying to gain additional confidence that I made a wise, long-term decision, not a potentially regretful one.
Nicely optioned truck. You will love it! If you plan to keep it, a lifetime warranty is about $2100-3000, depending on the deductible.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This article has me worried. I've never owned a RAM, only Chevys. I really don't want to be investing in a vehicle that I could have continue issues with over the years. Talk me down!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/10/ram-ranks-last-in-consumer-reports-reliability-survey.html

The so-called "reliability" ratings have always been suspect, but that aside the ratings vary considerably by year from CR.

From the April 2018 Consumer Reports Best & Worst car issue, the ratings are as follows:

F-150 -------------Ram 1500 ----------Silverado 1500
2010=yellow ---------n/a-----------------yellow
2011=orange-------yellow---------------yellow
2012=yellow--------green---------------yellow
2013=orange-------yellow--------------green
2014=yellow--------red------------------yellow
2015=yellow--------red------------------orange
2016=yellow--------yellow--------------orange
2017=orange-------dark green--------red

Legend: Red=much worse than average
Yellow=worse than average
Orange=average
Light Green=better than average
Dark Green=much better than average

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 004822 miles.

Last edited:

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I paid $2,410 last month for the $200 deductible plan from Zeigler (paid in full). Did the price change that much in October?

Tropez

Reaction score
I paid $2,410 last month for the $200 deductible plan from Zeigler (paid in full). Did the price change that much in October?

Seems like a hell of a price! Have a contact I can use to quote me?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram "finished in the top 10 of automakers in J.D. Power's 2016 Vehicle Dependability Study." Sounds like this 2016 report listing Tundra as the number one truck is lost or Toyota was their largest Customer ads in their magazine/website and is another FCA hater! LOL. Its possible since Tundra has the worst Ride, Interior,outdated 5 speed transmission with no electronics to have issues with may have an effect! How could you have a recall or complaints for items that do not exist? Just my spin on it!

alanstahl

Reaction score
Ram "finished in the top 10 of automakers in J.D. Power's 2016 Vehicle Dependability Study." Sounds like this 2016 report listing Tundra as the number one truck is lost or Toyota was their largest Customer ads in their magazine/website and is another FCA hater! LOL. Its possible since Tundra has the worst Ride, Interior,outdated 5 speed transmission with no electronics to have issues with may have an effect! How could you have a recall or complaints for items that do not exist? Just my spin on it!
I had 2010 RAM 7 years, 107,000 until first issue, was time to trade anyway. 2nd RAM 2016, had problem with "Service Electronic Throttle control 4 times, and thus became Lemon Law. Other wise truck was trouble free but the hrootel control put me in Limp Mode at 20 MPH.

I think, different problems as suggested should have a different value such as a radio problem vs. an engine proble. Significant difference but both are defects. Serious defects that can be hazardous are of much greater importance than a light buld not working as a result of a possible wiring harness. Both are a pain in the *** but one is much more significant, The Consumers article weighs all equally, No good.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish we didn't have to debate reliabilty and who's the biggest fanboy for whatever manufacturer... but this is the cost of having an open forum, some folks will always need to play devils advocate and post "flammable" info and sit there flicking at a match.

If you like reliability... then I guess all you can do is go buy something based on information from potentially bias sources and cross your fingers you don't get a lemon from them... because having a lemon you picked with your practical side would suck 10X more than getting a lemon you were at least passionate about.

mic drop

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram reliability. 4000 miles. Hear the drivetrain is not the brakes squealing

Your truck? Post your trucks specs in your sig... I'd bet you have eTorque and you have a bad pulley. But phone vids are notoriously hard to diagnose problems from.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hows the truck otherwise? Squeaks can be found eventually, take the shop foreman for a ride if they say they can't hear it on a road test. I've said it before, take charge at the dealership, if you know you have a problem don't accept no.

farf02

2019 Rebel
Reaction score
I learned how biased and wrong Consumer Reports was in 1990 when I was selling video at Best Buy. Their highest rated VCR was a Magnavox that had an approximate 98% fail rate, when we would try to warn potential buyers, we were told that 'Consumer Reports warned us you were going to talk us out of it", so we pointed out which Panasonic they should buy when they found out Consumer Reports screwed them.

In 2004, my now wife had a 2003 Tacoma, which sucked in my opinion, I had just bought a new GMC Envoy, which, believe it or not, was a damn nice vehicle at the time. I showed her a CR where they applauded the Tacoma, and bashed the Envoy. We actually both laughed when they said the Tacoma was quiet and the Envoy suffered from harsh noise, it was 100% the opposite.

CR could be the most biased piece of crap I have ever read

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I learned how biased and wrong Consumer Reports was in 1990 when I was selling video at Best Buy. Their highest rated VCR was a Magnavox that had an approximate 98% fail rate, when we would try to warn potential buyers, we were told that 'Consumer Reports warned us you were going to talk us out of it", so we pointed out which Panasonic they should buy when they found out Consumer Reports screwed them.

In 2004, my now wife had a 2003 Tacoma, which sucked in my opinion, I had just bought a new GMC Envoy, which, believe it or not, was a **** nice vehicle at the time. I showed her a CR where they applauded the Tacoma, and bashed the Envoy. We actually both laughed when they said the Tacoma was quiet and the Envoy suffered from harsh noise, it was 100% the opposite.

CR could be the most biased piece of crap I have ever read

Your so right! They also must have to keep their sponsors happy as well. It seems the open forums and general comments on Utube Etc .and of course past history with things helps to make a good decision on things .

GearHeadJoe

Reaction score
Spend $2700 and get the lifetime unlimited miles warranty and never worry about it !
Do you know where I can find the info on this , I only see 8 year up to 150k on the Mopar site...
would be curious to see details and add it on mine, it was never mentioned or avail when I bought mine

GearHeadJoe

Reaction score
The Lifetime Unlimited mileage warranty no longer exists...
I figured as much, ...thanks for clarifying .. S A D P A N D A ...my brother had it on his Challenger and mentioned how crazy it was to have lifetime warranty and that they probably couldn't offer it forever.

Users who are viewing this thread