5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Reliability? Dead last per Consumer Reports...

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I learned how biased and wrong Consumer Reports was in 1990 when I was selling video at Best Buy. Their highest rated VCR was a Magnavox that had an approximate 98% fail rate, when we would try to warn potential buyers, we were told that 'Consumer Reports warned us you were going to talk us out of it", so we pointed out which Panasonic they should buy when they found out Consumer Reports screwed them.

In 2004, my now wife had a 2003 Tacoma, which sucked in my opinion, I had just bought a new GMC Envoy, which, believe it or not, was a damn nice vehicle at the time. I showed her a CR where they applauded the Tacoma, and bashed the Envoy. We actually both laughed when they said the Tacoma was quiet and the Envoy suffered from harsh noise, it was 100% the opposite.

CR could be the most biased piece of crap I have ever read
Bought a Bosch 14 volt drill because of them. Whoever reviewed it never used tools. Speed Queen washing machine CR didn't consider - old world bullet proof and fixable, no issues. Subscribed to them for years - no more.
I'm happy and comfortable as can be in my Bighorn, could care less what CR has to say.

I also was happy with my Panasonic products. Found Sony had gone south (Mexico) in more ways than one.

azzx

Reaction score
Let's look at the latest ratings instead stuff from 2016!
Ram is the 2nd best truck with the highest road score of any truck. the top-rated truck (Tundra) is a 15 year truck so it better be perfect!
all of the fill size trucks have the lowest reliability rating!
Areas that the Ram gets the low rating are valid (leaks, wind noise, electronics)
I am a bit confused with the low ratings on breaks

Attachments

• ram 1.jpg
    ram 1.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 23
  • ram 2.jpg
    ram 2.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 24
  • ram 3.jpg
    ram 3.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 25

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Consumer reports had never been kind to Chrysler for whatever reason. My real life experiences directly conflict their flawed and baseless reporting.

TX_Phil

Reaction score
This article has me worried. I've never owned a RAM, only Chevys. I really don't want to be investing in a vehicle that I could have continue issues with over the years. Talk me down!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/10/ram-ranks-last-in-consumer-reports-reliability-survey.html
Can't speak to that report or how they might have spun the numbers to get the answers they wanted. I can only relate real life events over the last few years.
The truck I got rid off was a Chevy Z71. At 64k miles I put a 4500.00 transmission in it. At 90k miles I had to replace the starter. At 105k I had to replace the AC compressor. At 145k I had to replace the transfer case and the last straw was at 175k the transmission started slipping again. Lucky for me I dumped it and got a sweet deal on a new 2019 Ram 1500 4x4.

That is just one of our chevy products. My wifes suburban had the rearend rebuilt 3 times between 30 - 100k miles. We replaced it with a Sequoia.
Fords... several AC systems and a few transmissions over the years tell me they are no better.

These things are just machines, complex expensive machines but still man made. They will break eventually, all of them. To me what really counts is how each company stands behind their products. Thus far I have no complaints with FCA but then again I've not put them to the test either. Time will tell I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread