5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram releases 2019 Ram 1500 payload and towing charts

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like the document in the link I posted was posted 1/31/18. It’s on the official Ram website too.

The crew 6’4” being heavier actually makes more sense. The media document posted earlier... weights for the 6’4” never made sense to me since they showed them being lighter than the short bed. That can’t be right.

I’m betting the one on the ramtrucks website is correct

Last edited:

runamuck

Reaction score
Found this 2019 Ram 1500 towing chart on the official ram website. Payloads, base weights, towing numbers differ from the one posted on this thread. So which is correct?

https://www.ramtrucks.com/content/d..._Tow_Official_Report_OFFICIAL_A_2018-1-31.pdf

the yellow sticker on the door jamb of my ccsb 4x4 3.92 laramie shows about 500# less than either one of those tables. cat scale wt. was 5960# with me (225#) and about 120# of fuel leaving me only 1140# for everything else.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the yellow sticker on the door jamb of my ccsb 4x4 3.92 laramie shows about 500# less than either one of those tables. cat scale wt. was 5960# with me (225#) and about 120# of fuel leaving me only 1140# for everything else.
Yup, higher trims and most options result in lower remaining payload for everything else you want to carry. Works the same way for all manufacturers. Unfortunately the published numbers just aren’t realistic for most of the vehicles produced. For safety’s sake the manufacturers should really be more transparent about this.

If I had $100 for every person who thought they were driving a truck with an 1800+ payload rating or that their truck was rated to tow 12k+, I could have bought a brand new decked-out truck CASH! Although those numbers are listed in the published payload/towing charts, only a very small number of actual units sold will be optioned to achieve them. Very misleading.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, higher trims and most options result in lower remaining payload for everything else you want to carry. Works the same way for all manufacturers. Unfortunately the published numbers just aren’t realistic for most of the vehicles produced. For safety’s sake the manufacturers should really be more transparent about this.

If I had $100 for every person who thought they were driving a truck with an 1800+ payload rating or that their truck was rated to tow 12k+, I could have bought a brand new decked-out truck CASH! Although those numbers are listed in the published payload/towing charts, only a very small number of actual units sold will be optioned to achieve them. Very misleading.
Auto industry pushes the big numbers when advertising and lower numbers not so readily available.
Years back it seemed the load/tow information was readily available, you could get a brochure from the dealership. Today - good luck. I requested a brochure from Ram via mail - very minimalist mailing, no mention of loads or towing and NOT the same on the internet. The manual on the internet contained all the information for trim levels and payloads/tow. The numbers on the page need to be expanded to read.

http://mydigimag.rrd.com/publicatio...&bt_field_name[]=source&bt_field_value[]=web#{%22issue_id%22:528281,%22numpages%22:1,%22page%22:38}

I can't blame the auto industry on the manuals. The number of configurations available to "build" a truck today is huge and the manuals size (42 pages) have grown likewise. How many different ways can a 2019 Ram 1500 or Ford F-150 be built? Most people have access to the internet to access the information.

For some the payload and tow may not be needed and does not factor into their purchase. For those requiring a heavy payload or tow they should know the information for their benefit and everybody else on the road.

I'm in agreement - just giving some rationale. It was easier years ago. BUT what a truck today!

slimchance

Reaction score
i don't think it was easier years ago, we just did not know what to ask and we did not have forums like this one to hash over a topic over and over again until we got it right ... the internet has changed the way we think and do things and everybody knows IF it is on the internet it's got to be true

runamuck

Reaction score
i don't think it was easier years ago, we just did not know what to ask and we did not have forums like this one to hash over a topic over and over again until we got it right ... the internet has changed the way we think and do things and everybody knows IF it is on the internet it's got to be true

It shouldnt be that hard to put the wt. info into the mfr's build app. so that folks shopping online can see capability numbers as they do a build as they do when they select an option and the total price in the summary changes. for example I would have seen that while the truck I was considering had more pulling power than my trade-in, it has less carrying capacity and I might have leaned a little more toward a 2500.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It shouldnt be that hard to put the wt. info into the mfr's build app. so that folks shopping online can see capability numbers as they do a build as they do when they select an option and the total price in the summary changes. for example I would have seen that while the truck I was considering had more pulling power than my trade-in, it has less carrying capacity and I might have leaned a little more toward a 2500.
Can you imagine how many different weights and figures they would have to have.

The setup is fine...if you understand that it isn't your particular truck. And lucky people who have joined this site have a pretty comprehensive list of weights.

If you look at the first build and price page undercapability, it does show that each trim has a different rating. But it still isn't a particular truck.

The only way to do this is weigh your truck and use the constant numbers they provide...GVWR and GCWR.

Believe me Ram isn't the worst at this and before they adopted SAEJ2807 it was harder to get a real number.

Look at how Ford used a F450 back in like 2012 to beat the Rams towing. They had to specify (in the fine print) you couldn't have the spare tire to pull off the number.

It could definitely be better...but I don't think it is realistic to expect an exact number for payload and towing. But it could be closer and more monitored for sure.

slimchance

Reaction score
how about they put the payload not to exceed on the window sticker so while shopping you do not have to open every door on the lot and while shopping online at a dealer's website, that allows you to view the window sticker, there is the all important number .... BUT doing it their current way, a buyer not knowing difference between payload and towing max buys a truck only to find out the truck will not work with their trailer and therefore very soon will trade and loose a bundle of money to FCA and the dealers ... just saying

RichT

Reaction score
The only numbers that matter are what my insurance carrier will cover. I assume that is what the door sticker says + whatever the investigation determines was the cargo at the time.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
how about they put the payload not to exceed on the window sticker so while shopping you do not have to open every door on the lot and while shopping online at a dealer's website, that allows you to view the window sticker, there is the all important number .... BUT doing it their current way, a buyer not knowing difference between payload and towing max buys a truck only to find out the truck will not work with their trailer and therefore very soon will trade and loose a bundle of money to FCA and the dealers ... just saying
I think or feel...if they do weigh the truck to get the door jamb sticker that weight should be on the truck and by configuration, the GVWR and GCWR should be listed.

That said...most people do not understand the use of those numbers and a salesman will still sway an unknowing customer.

And i feel a knowing customer is going to check the sticker anyways

So, I agree one hundred percent it needs to be more disclosed...but people need to heed the best info...find the trailer, research the truck, then buy appropriately.

Not many people do that in that order though.

slimchance

Reaction score
i have a 2018 Keystone 2520RL Passport and before that several other 5000# to 7500# TT and have been towing travel trailers for the past 15 yrs, and active in TT forums, with trucks like the 2005 big horn 2500hd, and several toyota tundras ... when we traded my wife's tundra limited on the first 2019 Ram we mostly lucked out on the payload... then i found this and another forum and began my learning experience on payloads vs max tow weight .. the dealers for TT and trucks have largely been NO help ... when shopping for my 2019 Ram i searched dealer websites for information and could not find anything and asking dealers for max tow vs payload information is like asking what bra size their wife wears (sorry for that ) ...i had to go to the dealer and open doors ... nobody has a master key for the Rams so the salesman had to grab lots of keys and bring lots of trucks off the lots just to see the door stickers ... it surely sorts out the dealer/salesmen that want your business .. i found my truck and two others that would give me what i needed .. don't misunderstand this post, i am only trying to say, FCA knows what this truck payload and max tow is, after all they put it on the door stickers, so in this day and age they could surely make it a little easier for the customer to find ... these charts and graphs FCA post are useless at best and misleading

Uawfitter

Reaction score
I would like to see FCA add "5th wheel payload" to their chart like Ford and Chevy do. I know the 392 rear end is rated for 4100 according to their chart. That being said I know over the axle towing, the truck can handle more than the posted payload on the door. My 2019 bighorn,392,5.7hemi,shortened, shows 1721 payload on the door.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I too, wish that the manufacturer would put the payload on the window sticker - that's a great idea! When shopping Fords, I found a dealer in Canada (and then a couple of them in the States) that would put a pic of the red/yellow payload sticker in their pictures for each truck, which made it much easier to get a ballpark figure for the trim/options I wanted.

I can't say how many hours I've spent looking at trucks on lots, opening doors, and saying, "Nope, not enough payload!"

That said, I got my Limited because I realize that I don't haul heavy stuff that often, and I now own an enclosed trailer, so I can tow whatever won't fit in the bed (and still be under on my payload).

Every dealership I've ever walked into when looking for a truck, I've suggested to the salesperson and sales manager that they post pics of the payload sticker on their web site, so I can be more efficient with my time on their lot. Not one has actually followed through with this.

Related stories: A guy I knew from a local cigar shop who owned a kitchen cleaning business and needed to haul heavy payloads. He bought a new 2011 F-150 and his salesperson told him it would haul 3,000lbs. That was so grossly untrue, and he was LIVID when I showed him his payload sticker and it only said 1,800lbs. He went straight to the dealer, fuming, but I guess they didn't do anything for him, because he kept driving the truck. Then, in 2012, a friend of mine bought a new GMC Sierra with the 4.8L V8. He has a 7,000lb GVWR enclosed trailer, and only a 5,500lb towing capacity. Oops.

-John

zappel

Reaction score
When you enter your VIN no on the Ram site for payload and towing capacity mine differs by 449 pds I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi etorque with 3.92 I have 1301 pds according to label in the door.
Shocking! To say the least. I upgraded to this truck because I only had 1166 on my last vehicle. I bought this having been assured by the dealer I had 1780 pd payload.
I am still dealing with this issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the sad things dealerships do. I can assure you, they do not know what payload really means.

Sorry, this has happened to you @zappel .

You will see reading here that dealers di this often and then bam you get hit again at the trailer dealership.

Some have had their dealer pony up for the misinformation and some have just been left hanging. Good luck

zappel

Reaction score
My dealer made it right. I basically paid the difference between a 3500 diesel! Limited and the 1500 and will be getting the new truck within the week. That should future proof me for the RV upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cash4trash

Reaction score
I saw in another post that the 22" wheels drops the max GVWR from 7100lbs to 6200lbs . Can folks who have the 22" wheels check your sticker and confirm or disprove?
I have the 22" wheels and it says 7100 lbs

Chris

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 22 inch wheels dropping to 6200 was a 4th gen sport. There are only 2 GVWR for a Hemi 6900 2wd and 7100 4wd.

V6 gets 6900 in 4wd.

The low GVWR for 2019 is the HFE with is 6010.

Just for info. It has been posted before.

Users who are viewing this thread