5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram releases 2019 Ram 1500 payload and towing charts

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ram has released the payload and towing charts for the 2019 Ram 1500 V6 eTorque, 5.7 Hemi and 5.7 Hemi with eTorque. All launch cab configurations and box lengths are listed, Quad Cab 6'4 box and Crew Cab with 5'7 and 6'4 box lengths. This also serves as our first official confirmation on box sizes with them remaining the same throughout the lineup. Also present is the Quad Cab HFE model that we have not seen yet. Check out the towing and payload numbers below

Screen-Shot-2018-01-24-at-7.10.08-PM.png
Source: FCA Media
Screen-Shot-2018-01-24-at-6.50.55-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2018-01-24-at-6.51.10-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2018-01-24-at-6.51.25-PM.png

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
(see attachment)

(see attachment)

Attachments

• pasted-from-clipboard.png
    pasted-from-clipboard.png
    541 KB · Views: 471
  • pasted-from-clipboard.png
    pasted-from-clipboard.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 461

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes they make my "most powerful pickup on earth" seem so weak now. Of course around 01 Cummins started its dominance and in 03 the mighty Magnum V10 left the truck scene.

I am very impressed with the 2019 Ram 1500. Now, to be blown away by the 2500/3500 and BLOWN AWAY by the TRX

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
interesting that the etorque adds about 49 pounds. Can't wait to see the 2019 regular cab longbed. Wonder if another reason on the hold up (I fully understand the reason why) with it is to add some numbers to the max towing...to win another back to back award lol.

Trying to figure out exactly what you can have in the truck to hit these figures...I got a feeling it isn't much, but bet it is still more than the furd guys who don't know not every ecoboost ford is max tow. My boss's only had passenger tires. I laughed at him when he made it back safe with his max load ford, he said I almost died...I said someone was looking our for you cause you should have. He said, wow...need to pay more attention. But of course it was only in oh crap situations, so he thinks with the lt tires he could haul more...Love furd guys lol

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
devildodge said:
interesting that the etorque adds about 49 pounds. Can't wait to see the 2019 regular cab longbed. Wonder if another reason on the hold up (I fully understand the reason why) with it is to add some numbers to the max towing...to win another back to back award lol.

Trying to figure out exactly what you can have in the truck to hit these figures...I got a feeling it isn't much, but bet it is still more than the furd guys who don't know not every ecoboost ford is max tow. My boss's only had passenger tires. I laughed at him when he made it back safe with his max load ford, he said I almost died...I said someone was looking our for you cause you should have. He said, wow...need to pay more attention. But of course it was only in oh crap situations, so he thinks with the lt tires he could haul more...Love furd guys lol
You already can. The only regular cab model sold will be on the Ram 1500 (DS) the current generation Ram for the 2019 model year. Regular Cab will come in 2020 model year for DT.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking at these ratings again. They are all over the place.

I sure can't wait to see the etorque hemi up against the regular hemI just to see what they really did to increase capacity.

Am anxious to see a Rebel towing also.

Oh heck, that might make me buy one.

263a.png
1f609.png
1f62d.png
1f620.png
1f628.png
1f604.png
1f60e.png

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
devildodge said:
Yes they make my "most powerful pickup on earth" seem so weak now. Of course around 01 Cummins started its dominance and in 03 the mighty Magnum V10 left the truck scene.

I am very impressed with the 2019 Ram 1500. Now, to be blown away by the 2500/3500 and BLOWN AWAY by the TRX
Expect the TR/TRX to have lower tow capabilities due to the peculiar suspension characteristics they are expected to have.

D

Deleted member103

devildodge said:

I just know your gonna get ONE OF EACH - but what colors ?
263a.png

D

Deleted member103

1st thing struck me was the Big Diff. in weight from the 3.21 to the 3.92 (the reason is obvious, but I never gave it THAT consideration) ! I'm only referencing from my perspective, the V6 eTorque Quad 4X4 -- Base Weight of 4989 & 5238 . . . an additional 249 lbs. ! SO based on the #'s it appears the same axles are used for the 3.55 ? The Weight being the same as a 3.21 ! Seems 5238 lbs. BASE weight may be "pushing it" with the V6 even at 305 hp.; that seems heavy !? Add a Cap at +200 lbs. maybe some sliding drawer system (100 to 300 lbs.) a DOG, a 230 lbs. Human or 2 and next thing ya know your "Maxed out?" !
263a.png
1f914.png
. No 3.92 from V6 .

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been looking at these ratings again. They are all over the place.

I sure can't wait to see the etorque hemi up against the regular hemI just to see what they really did to increase capacity.

Am anxious to see a Rebel towing also.

Oh heck, that might make me buy one.

263a.png
1f609.png
1f62d.png
1f620.png
1f628.png
1f604.png
1f60e.png
The new Ram has bigger brakes, 4” longer wheelbase, upgraded axles, stronger frame, progressive rate springs, weight loss of 225lbs (which also increases payload) and improved aerodynamics. I’m sure all of these changes contribute to the increased tow rating.

As far as eTorque goes, we can see from the towing chart that the highest tow ratings go to the NON eTorque Hemi with one exception, a very specific version of the Quad/4x2/3.92. So the eTorque actually REDUCES towing capacity. I believe eTorque is designed to improve MPG and will contribute little to towing and acceleration performance. It only provides additional torque at engine speeds below 2000rpm; possibly below 1500rpm depending on which Ram engineer you listen to.

With the eTorque Hemi being rated lower in towing than the NON eTorque version I can only assume that it doesn’t even provide enough performance improvement to overcome the 80lb weight of the system. It definitely reduces payload according to the chart.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As far as eTorque goes, we can see from the towing chart that the highest tow rating goes to the NON eTorque Hemi. So the eTorque actually REDUCES towing capacity. I believe eTorque is designed to improve MPG and will contribute little to towing and acceleration performance. It only provides additional torque at engine speeds below 2000rpm; possibly below 1500rpm depending on which Ram engineer you listen to.

With the eTorque Hemi being rated lower in towing than the NON eTorque version I can only assume that it doesn’t even provide enough performance improvement to overcome the 80lb weight of the system. It definitely reduces payload according to the chart.
That's incorrect. The highest-rated towing configuration (by far) for a 2019 Ram 1500 is the eTorque-equipped Quad Cab 4x2 with a 3.92, which is rated at 12,750 lb. That's 1,060 lb more than the non-eTorque variant.

You're right about payload, though. The weight of the eTorque system has to be subtracted from payload...that's basic math.

And your point is valid for most of the configurations. There's nothing obvious (to me) in the SAE tests to explain why eTorque would slightly reduce max trailer weight ratings by ~100 lb, more or less, in many cases. I'm sure we'll learn more down the road.

In every respect—i.e. the lack of badging on the vehicle regarding eTorque; the quiet launch of the system following the auto show circuit; the complete lack of media attention, etc.—it feels like Ram is being ultra-conservative while feeling this out.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's incorrect. The highest-rated towing configuration (by far) for a 2019 Ram 1500 is the eTorque-equipped Quad Cab 4x2 with a 3.92, which is rated at 12,750 lb. That's 1,060 lb more than the non-eTorque variant.

You're right about payload, though. The weight of the eTorque system has to be subtracted from payload...that's basic math.

And your point is valid for most of the configurations. There's nothing obvious (to me) in the SAE tests to explain why eTorque would slightly reduce max trailer weight ratings by ~100 lb, more or less, in many cases. I'm sure we'll learn more down the road.

In every respect—i.e. the lack of badging on the vehicle regarding eTorque; the quiet launch of the system following the auto show circuit; the complete lack of media attention, etc.—it feels like Ram is being ultra-conservative while feeling this out.
Well ok, you are correct, there is ONE configuration (quad 4x2 3.92) where the eTorque is rated higher for towing. Every other configuration has the eTorque towing less than the non eTorque. And notice how there are two nearly identical configuration lines in the chart for that eTorque/Quad/4x2/3.92? Must be a very specific order to get that max towing number. The other eTorque/Quad/4x2/3.92 line of the chart also tows less than the non eTorque.

I would like to see the media get their hands on the eTorques for testing and reviews. I still think I will get the eTorque but In my mind, at this point anyway, I think it’s just there for MPGs.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well ok, you are correct, there is ONE configuration (quad 4x2 3.92) where the eTorque is rated higher for towing. Every other configuration has the eTorque towing less than the non eTorque. And notice how there are two nearly identical configuration lines in the chart for that eTorque/Quad/4x2/3.92? Must be a very specific order to get that max towing number. The other eTorque/Quad/4x2/3.92 line of the chart also tows less than the non eTorque.

I would like to see the media get their hands on the eTorques for testing and reviews. I still think I will get the eTorque but In my mind, at this point anyway, I think it’s just there for MPGs.
The very specific thing is...the max tow package...which includes that very specific part...Dana Super 60 center section, a 256-mm gearset and 35-spline axle shafts.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
I saw in another post that the 22" wheels drops the max GVWR from 7100lbs to 6200lbs . Can folks who have the 22" wheels check your sticker and confirm or disprove?

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Not sure. Date on your link was 1/03/2018 and page 5 says the base weights were updated. IDK if the media info above was before or after 1/03, but it was posted 1/25.

In either case, looks to be differences of 40-60 lbs in base weight for common crew cab configurations (crew cab 5-7" lighter on your link but crew cab 6/4" is heavier).

Users who are viewing this thread