5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Rebel 2019 - Bilstein 6112 and 5160..Do I need to change/upgrade the UCA?

mxjunky12

Reaction score
Got everything installed recently and a couple hundred miles down the road. 2020 ORP BigHorn
6112 (8th Clip) setup with Icon UCAs
*+ MotoFab 1/2" Strut Spacer*
5160s in back with Clayton Springs and Hellwig swingarm.
Toyo AT3 325/60 r20 (35.4/12.8)
- Tires are too big for this setup but we did a full NorCal tuck and made it work.

Truck handling is substantially improved on and offroad. Definitely slightly stiffer compared to stock but not uncomfortable or noticed by my wife which is bonus. Haha

Couple things
-Clayton Springs put the truck at a 2" rake with just the 6112s. After adding 1/2" strut spacer, she sits how I intended and with 1000lbs of shingles in the back (roofer) it sits level and drives very nicely with the triple rate springs.

-Ordered my wheels through custom offsets with new TPMS (non oem). It's becoming a bit of a hastle as they did not come with product info and my shop has not been able to program the sensors. Ram wants $280 to dismount, view product codes and "clone" or encrypt the sensors to the OEMs. I believe we can get this worked out as custom offsets is providing proper product codes (UNI) and saying it needs a specific ITM programmer.

-Ram calibrated the speedo for the oversized tieres. This cost $200 for the programming. With that being said the park sensors no longer work. This is a known factory issue and they are waiting for the system update from factory to correct it. Not a big issue for me at the moment. Speedo works.

Other than that stuff install was simple. Very happy with the performance and the look.
092c7aceb1ae8aca90485f83cf3b3212.jpg
9b7f0d546f963c81a47c7c252d344e94.jpg
6599b0948743ea05935879ec972f6fe3.jpg
406a479525d7ea87ee50915279ce235a.jpg
b61d3e738bee96c9280996393fbbb55d.jpg
71d699bf36663e54f6fa754deedee995.jpg
582c1763f15dcb316965e3319c55c743.jpg
0827fe650f8376751e6c91fe30d2da02.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
Got everything installed recently and a couple hundred miles down the road. 2020 ORP BigHorn
6112 (8th Clip) setup with Icon UCAs
*+ MotoFab 1/2" Strut Spacer*
5160s in back with Clayton Springs and Hellwig swingarm.
Toyo AT3 325/60 r20 (35.4/12.8)
- Tires are too big for this setup but we did a full NorCal tuck and made it work.

Truck handling is substantially improved on and offroad. Definitely slightly stiffer compared to stock but not uncomfortable or noticed by my wife which is bonus. Haha

Couple things
-Clayton Springs put the truck at a 2" rake with just the 6112s. After adding 1/2" strut spacer, she sits how I intended and with 1000lbs of shingles in the back (roofer) it sits level and drives very nicely with the triple rate springs.

-Ordered my wheels through custom offsets with new TPMS (non oem). It's becoming a bit of a hastle as they did not come with product info and my shop has not been able to program the sensors. Ram wants $280 to dismount, view product codes and "clone" or encrypt the sensors to the OEMs. I believe we can get this worked out as custom offsets is providing proper product codes (UNI) and saying it needs a specific ITM programmer.

-Ram calibrated the speedo for the oversized tieres. This cost $200 for the programming. With that being said the park sensors no longer work. This is a known factory issue and they are waiting for the system update from factory to correct it. Not a big issue for me at the moment. Speedo works.

Other than that stuff install was simple. Very happy with the performance and the look.
092c7aceb1ae8aca90485f83cf3b3212.jpg
9b7f0d546f963c81a47c7c252d344e94.jpg
6599b0948743ea05935879ec972f6fe3.jpg
406a479525d7ea87ee50915279ce235a.jpg
b61d3e738bee96c9280996393fbbb55d.jpg
71d699bf36663e54f6fa754deedee995.jpg
582c1763f15dcb316965e3319c55c743.jpg
0827fe650f8376751e6c91fe30d2da02.jpg

truck looks awsome! I've been looking into doing the same with the 6112s, adding 1/2 spacer on top of clip #8 and adding 1inch spacer in the rear with either icon uca or a zone uca. was going bds originally but there's been several bds uca failures on here so staying away from them. what size tires are those?

mxjunky12

Reaction score
truck looks awsome! I've been looking into doing the same with the 6112s, adding 1/2 spacer on top of clip #8 and adding 1inch spacer in the rear with either icon uca or a zone uca. was going bds originally but there's been several bds uca failures on here so staying away from them. what size tires are those?
Thanks man. Tires are Toyo AT3 325/60 R20 (35.4/12.8) honestly too big for this setup and the wheels don't help. Wheels are 20x12s -44
The 1/2" motofab spacer was a must.
Standard 35s would have worked better.

Normal driving totally fine. Slightly rubs front inner fender well. Rear of front fender well and pinch welds had to be beat in pretty good. Haha
Any offroading is going to be sketchy potentially hitting at the quarter panel mount at full lock.

I definitely recommend upgrading the springs in the rear over doing a spacer. The springs are not much money. Icons and Clayton offroad available.

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
Thanks man. Tires are Toyo AT3 325/60 R20 (35.4/12.8) honestly too big for this setup and the wheels don't help. Wheels are 20x12s -44
The 1/2" motofab spacer was a must.
Standard 35s would have worked better.

Normal driving totally fine. Slightly rubs front inner fender well. Rear of front fender well and pinch welds had to be beat in pretty good. Haha
Any offroading is going to be sketchy potentially hitting at the quarter panel mount at full lock.

I definitely recommend upgrading the springs in the rear over doing a spacer. The springs are not much money. Icons and Clayton offroad available.

I have a rebel so the icons would only give me a half inch. are the claytons from the 2.5in gladiator springs?

mxjunky12

Reaction score
I have a rebel so the icons would only give me a half inch. are the claytons from the 2.5in gladiator springs?
Right, mine is the same with ORP. That's why I went with the Clayton's.

I did not take stock measurements at the hub, but current setup has the height at 24.5" front/26.5" Rear fender to center hub.

So Claytons Gladiator springs put the truck at a 2.5" rake over the bilstein 2" lift.
With added 1/2" motofab Strut spacer up front it has rake at 2" and should settle a bit more as well. With benefit of triple rate spring.

Last edited:

Rjshoaff1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just ordered 6112 and 5160. I’m looking to be about level. I have about a 2 1/4 inch rake right now. Thinking about setting the 6112 on setting #8 (for ORP) and hoping to get a true 2 inches and be at a 1/4 rake.
Questions....
1. Don’t really do crazy off roaring. Are my oem uca going to be ok?
2. Do I need a spring or bl for my rears if I’m just looking to stay at the same rear height using this setup?

Thanks for you help and info

Derek Dredger

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just ordered 6112 and 5160. I’m looking to be about level. I have about a 2 1/4 inch rake right now. Thinking about setting the 6112 on setting #8 (for ORP) and hoping to get a true 2 inches and be at a 1/4 rake.
Questions....
2. Do I need a spring or bl for my rears if I’m just looking to stay at the same rear height using this setup?

If you visit the Bilstein offical webpage for this setup it does state very clearly that you do not need to change your stock ucas. However, I understand your question and concern as you have to ask yourself, when the 6112s are installed, were's the limit now seeing as the suspension geometry has changed. Personally, I do alot of heavy offroading in the desert with constant big ruts and bumps and wasn't going to take a chance and upgraded to Total Chaos FAB UCAs. But for tarmac and some bumpy roads (and the added safety of being reachable by a towtruck and not stranded half way up a big dune) I would stick with the stock ucas. You can always upgrade in a month or so if your not happy. FYI, I did the same desert terrain for almost 6 months with stock ucas/suspension and wheels/tires and never once had an issue....just got stuck more often! 🤣

Rjshoaff1

Reaction score
If you visit the Bilstein offical webpage for this setup it does state very clearly that you do not need to change your stock ucas. However, I understand your question and concern as you have to ask yourself, when the 6112s are installed, were's the limit now seeing as the suspension geometry has changed. Personally, I do alot of heavy offroading in the desert with constant big ruts and bumps and wasn't going to take a chance and upgraded to Total Chaos FAB UCAs. But for tarmac and some bumpy roads (and the added safety of being reachable by a towtruck and not stranded half way up a big dune) I would stick with the stock ucas. You can always upgrade in a month or so if your not happy. FYI, I did the same desert terrain for almost 6 months with stock ucas/suspension and wheels/tires and never once had an issue....just got stuck more often! 🤣
That’s awesome! Thanks for the update and information. The only thing I do is go off road for hunting and camping, it’s not even “off roading” . Honestly, lol it’s more like driving in the grass. I’ve talked with Bilstein and ram, both said it’s not necessary but I was looking for some “real world” information like yours! Thanks

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Questions....

where did you find the 5160s in stock?

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
They are on order, the local shop said they will be here in two weeks
I've been waiting for bilsteinlifts to get them back in stock there's been a national backorder specifically for the right side. also doing the 6112s on clip 8 with a motofab 1/2 spacer and clayton gladiator rear springs and zone uca

Agostino

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with the 5160s in the rear? Bilstein says they “don’t” work with rebels.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i will find out if they dont work but from what i saw in many post it works

so i have a questions gentle men
i have a 21 rebel
my truck front is 37.5 front
i have 39.25 rear
i have 6112 front and 5160 rears, now i have the front at clip 8 so i will be at 39.5
how would i raise the rear half a inch to be leveled? would i just do icon springs ?
or should i just go down two notchs in the front to maintain some kind of rake? i do off road but nothing where i have alot of weight.. but when street use i load up heavy

Agostino

Reaction score
i will find out if they dont work but from what i saw in many post it works

so i have a questions gentle men
i have a 21 rebel
my truck front is 37.5 front
i have 39.25 rear
i have 6112 front and 5160 rears, now i have the front at clip 8 so i will be at 39.5
how would i raise the rear half a inch to be leveled? would i just do icon springs ?
or should i just go down two notchs in the front to maintain some kind of rake? i do off road but nothing where i have alot of weight.. but when street use i load up heavy

Bctexascrazy1

Reaction score
I had a similar question as well, was curious if I needed uca’s running the 5100’s on all 4 corners, with orp? Truck won’t see extreme off road or nothing mainly on road driving and towing my boat, just curious if I could just buy the Mopar 2” cause I can get good deal on them, if I was gonna be more extreme with the truck I’d get the readylift or total chaos ones

TX_Rebel_777

Reaction score
Yes. 100% change the UCA's. It's not only the angle it's the additional forces of the tires and 4wd system that strain the ball joint. On 2wd systems not so much but most decent shops know that the 4wd puts addition strain on those components leading to premature wear.

acrespo

Reaction score
Yes. 100% change the UCA's. It's not only the angle it's the additional forces of the tires and 4wd system that strain the ball joint. On 2wd systems not so much but most decent shops know that the 4wd puts addition strain on those components leading to premature wear.
I just got the combo kit 6112 for the front and back. Have not install them as of yet. What UCA would or should be recommended. Looking online for a week now and I can not find ones that are recommended with this set up. I was looking at the zone was told by zone they were not made for the 2021 Rebel. I moved on to the Tuff country but they are uni-ball dont want to go that rout. They also talk about needing to change the stock rims. Then I moved on to Ready lift and it says only good for 2 inch lift. If this new kit adds 2 inch lift plus one from stock rebel = 3 inch then am out of luck. Looking at the RC is my best bet if i don't want to spend $750 or more on UCA. Any ideas.

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
I just got the combo kit 6112 for the front and back. Have not install them as of yet. What UCA would or should be recommended. Looking online for a week now and I can not find ones that are recommended with this set up. I was looking at the zone was told by zone they were not made for the 2021 Rebel. I moved on to the Tuff country but they are uni-ball dont want to go that rout. They also talk about needing to change the stock rims. Then I moved on to Ready lift and it says only good for 2 inch lift. If this new kit adds 2 inch lift plus one from stock rebel = 3 inch then am out of luck. Looking at the RC is my best bet if i don't want to spend $750 or more on UCA. Any ideas.
I'm using zone for my 2020 and it's perfect. Highly doubt anything changed for 2021

acrespo

Reaction score
I'm using zone for my 2020 and it's perfect. Highly doubt anything changed for 2021
Thanks for the reply, thats what I was thinking I notice lots of people are using the Zone for the 2019 -2021. Dont know why Zone would not recommend for the 5th Gen. Looking at your set up I see you are using spacer in the front, how many inches is it lifted in the front if you dont mind me asking. 1 inch lift factory, if you are using the max setting on the 6112 thats 2 1/2 and then the spacer = what? wondering the angle on that control arm ball joint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/