5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram plans to overtake Silverado

John813

Reaction score
I was actually looking at the Chevys before the Ram, mainly due to the rare 6.2L engine they offered in the Silverado/Sierra.

However, the interior for both the outgoing and new model just weren't up to par for the pricing.

steveved

Reaction score
Ram needs to speed up the parts supply or they will stay behind. I think the popularity of the 19 surprised a lot of there staff. I'm still waiting to order. Waiting on V8 etorque

I didn't realize there was a shortage of eTorque V8s. My Laramie that I bought 3 weeks ago has the eTorque. And my local dealer has 2 limiteds with eTorque...

Quicker10u

Reaction score
I looked at the F150 and honestly it seemed a little stale. If I was going to drop 50k, I was going to get what I wanted. Checked out the Nissan and wasn’t crazy about how it drove. Friends are having serious quality problems with 15-18 GM products. Between the expert reviews and my personal preferences, I just bought my Laramie Sport yesterday. Fingers crossed on the quality.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked at the F150 and honestly it seemed a little stale. If I was going to drop 50k, I was going to get what I wanted. Checked out the Nissan and wasn’t crazy about how it drove. Friends are having serious quality problems with 15-18 GM products. Between the expert reviews and my personal preferences, I just bought my Laramie Sport yesterday. Fingers crossed on the quality.

Congratulations on your new Laramie!

fat trout

Reaction score
I just went from a 2007 Sierra Crew to a '19 Bighorn Crew. I couldn't go back to GMC or Chevy. Too many headaches and too much rust. The wax dipped frames are garbage. I looked at the F150 briefly but Ford loves themselves too much. For the $ the Ram seems like a real winner.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been a Chevy guy my whole life. Was looking forward to the '19 Silverado and the return of the rounded wheel wells. I was extremely disappointed. Chevy is trying to bank on loyalty and past achievements, but I just couldn't do it. Ford is very proud of their vehicles, and the F150 did nothing for me. I also didn't want to get back into another V6 turbo. The new Ram won me over. I just hope it holds up.

Ram204

Reaction score
Coming from a 2007 Silverado with the 5.3 and four speed to the 5.7 Hemi with the eight speed feels like I just parked my bicycle and got on a Harley. I shopped the brands and felt Ram had the best product at the best price. Chevy should put the 6.2 in the lower trim levels if they want to complete.

JHowellAK

Reaction score
I bought a '14 GMC Sierra All Terrain back in 2013 because i couldn't justify spending 50k on a truck that has a plastic dash. Fast forward to now. Sold my GM after i had ball joint, AC, 4WD issues and got the Ram for a couple reasons.

#1 All truck makers have been stagnant for over a decade in relation to technology and interior development. GM's claim to fame this year -> an over-engineered tailgate that will rarely be used.

#2 Price for the quality. Ram has the best price vs the competition in relation to quality. MSRP for my limited was 67,455 with the purchase price of 59k. Ram still shows the "prestige" of having a high end truck without being obnoxious like say, a platinum's tailgate. Modest feature.

One day, I hope to find a nice ram dealer that actually caters to me. I cant get a callback from the place i bought it from to get my isolator mounts installed. Took 6 calls just to get to a service rep. I feel like an afterthought in ram dealers. When I walk into a lexus or toyota dealer to get my wife's car taken care of, I feel like my business matters.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
From a long time Chevy owner, the Ram truck is already there. However, Ram customer service and Dealership experience I had was really sub-par, borderline misery. I hope service dept is a better experience
I was dreading visiting the service dept a couple of months ago for AC cooling, brake squeal, center console squeak, and glovebox LED ambient lighting issue out, and was pleasantly surprised. Great service, service manager updated me daily on work progress, and every single issue was resolved the first time. Oh, and this was not the dealer I purchased at. Just happened to be a lot closer to home. Go figure!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was dreading visiting the service dept a couple of months ago for AC cooling, brake squeal, center console squeak, and glovebox LED ambient lighting issue out, and was pleasantly surprised. Great service, service manager updated me daily on work progress, and every single issue was resolved the first time. Oh, and this was not the dealer I purchased at. Just happened to be a lot closer to home. Go figure!

Since you're in Houston, what was the dealer? I'm making a back pocket list of Houston dealers who might be better to work with when needed.
Another poster mentioned Gillman gave service loaners with no questions.

ortvk

Reaction score
From a person just leaving the GM brand, FCA is already there. People just don’t realize it yet. GM’s have their share of issues as well the difference is where Ram is advancing GM is stagnated if not going backwards with their 2019 design. With all the leaks, brake squeals, 12” display issues, and other anomalies the Ram is still a much better truck than the current GM. What we will have to wait and see is if GM steps it up in 2020 and can they triage the hemorrhage of loyal owners going elsewhere. I am one of those who said “ I’ll never drive a POS Dodge, never!” and now am happy to eat that crow.

YUP! Just picked up my 2019 Rebel. After trading my '16 Colorado and looking at Silverados with all the similar options. RAM wins hands down. Heres to more then 2 years out of my new truck before wanting to trade it! haha

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Since you're in Houston, what was the dealer? I'm making a back pocket list of Houston dealers who might be better to work with when needed.
Edwards,
It was Allen Samuels on Katy Fwy @ Silber. I did have to schedule a rental ahead of time though. That’s one of the things I miss the most from owning luxury cars. I did call an 800 number which supposedly will reimburse me. I will post back if they do.

Cheers,

2020RamDoc

Reaction score
17 Silverado High Country was like my 15th Chevy product....lemonlaw...they are buying it back, so I bought a new 19 Limited Ram 1500...love it! Except fpr the HK bass boom!

Reduxalicious

Reaction score

If you're in Houston and want a easy dealer to deal with I'll throw in my .2 cents for River Oaks Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram,

They actually found me the Truck I wanted up in Grapevine and helped with the deal, Easy to deal with sales people and the Service Department is great too, If your wait is over an Hour they'll give you a Loaner, Offer one straight up right then and there, Even asked me if I was busy and wanted one when I was just getting the TSB Software Updates.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
when those GM 8 speed trucks start getting up in miles people will continue to leave GM. I had my heart set on a 18 6.2 denali. i went and drove a couple 20k mile used ones just to see how they were with a few miles.
the tranny was TRASH. massive shudders and clunks. could never get the gear right. no way those things will last acting like a 150k mile tranny at 20k.
went and drove a ram and my decision was made. better in every category. i couldn't even tell a power difference between the 6.2 gm and the hemi.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
when those GM 8 speed trucks start getting up in miles people will continue to leave GM. I had my heart set on a 18 6.2 denali. i went and drove a couple 20k mile used ones just to see how they were with a few miles.
the tranny was TRASH. massive shudders and clunks. could never get the gear right. no way those things will last acting like a 150k mile tranny at 20k.
went and drove a ram and my decision was made. better in every category. i couldn't even tell a power difference between the 6.2 gm and the hemi.

GM was having a hell of a time getting their 6 speeds tuned correctly too when they first came out. A friend of mine had a 2007 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and 6 speed, that thing was non stop with tranny issues, driveline lash issues, they eventually had to replace the engine block because it had a slight crack somewhere and was leaking coolant. I always remember it being the weirdest thing when he first got it, if you were cruising and floored it the trans would try to upshift, then get confused, then downshift.

That truck swore him off GM after owning a few GM products and that's not even getting into all the other issues it had.

Users who are viewing this thread