5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Issues “Last Call” For EcoDiesel Engine In Ram 1500!

n8zcc

Reaction score
We went through this back in the early 1970s when insurance and emissions canceled all the cool powertrains and designs and left us with a boatload of crap vehicles. Then the evolution began and cool stuff started coming back.

I'm glad I have a 2022 ED but what will fill my needs in 8 or 9 years when I go to replace it, that is the question.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Placed an order for an eco diesel limited today. Estimated to be 12-16 weeks until arrival.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but the dealer has no clue when it will arrive. As of right now, the start of 2023 production is scheduled for 11/9 - that's 8 weeks away. The only way your truck would arrive in 12 weeks is if it was one of the very first trucks built. Do you think that will be the case?
I'd expect 16-20 weeks or more.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is a real shame. This ridiculous push to ev’s is going to backfire and sales are going to suffer. Diesel should have been pushed a long time ago. Iits the best option to see good mpg from just about anything. Instead, they are going to focus on what no one is asking for except the dumbass politicians

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ford and Ram both drop their 1/2 ton diesels, GM says hold our beer! Brand new LZ0 Duramax coming for '23 with 305/495 numbers from the factory and an extended 200,000 mile service interval on the belt. GM will sell a ton of them!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is a real shame. This ridiculous push to ev’s is going to backfire and sales are going to suffer. Diesel should have been pushed a long time ago. Iits the best option to see good mpg from just about anything. Instead, they are going to focus on what no one is asking for except the dumbass politicians
They don't have much of a choice. The bar keeps going up every year, and in order to meet CAFE standards they have to increase efficiency. From what I gather, they're spending a fortune on purchasing credits from the likes of Tesla too. If they want to be in business in 10 years, they have to change. And they can't wait for 9 more years to get started.

tom318

Reaction score
I think the push is a bit extreme but unfortunately to stay competitive in this EV market it takes a lot of $$$ and Engineering so the manufacturers have to go all out to make it happen. Or at least try to make it happen. I think many will fail and disappear over time.

I feel manufactures are gambling right now on their futures in the automotive market. Only time will tell, that being said it pisses me off they are dropping this engine....I wanted to get another one in 2-3yrs.

I think EVs are badass but only for the first 1-2 owners. After that, nightmare, which is far from ideal considering the cost and most cant afford it. Not to mention, owning a house is basically a prerequisite to owning an EV. The idea that everyone has the ability to charge their own car is far from reality. You think these apartment complexes are going to invest thousands so you can charge your car....hahahaha no.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You think these apartment complexes are going to invest thousands so you can charge your car....hahahaha no.
I'm in the high-rise construction business, so I have a little perspective on this. Yes, owners are adding EV charging stations to upcoming residential projects. But just like handicap spaces, they're only adding the bare minimum that the city requires. There's no return on the investment for them.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They don't have much of a choice. The bar keeps going up every year, and in order to meet CAFE standards they have to increase efficiency. From what I gather, they're spending a fortune on purchasing credits from the likes of Tesla too. If they want to be in business in 10 years, they have to change. And they can't wait for 9 more years to get started.

Any yet both of their main competitors are still offering everything Stellantis isn't. Traditional non-hybrid V8 trucks and cars, diesels, etc....

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any yet both of their main competitors are still offering everything Stellantis isn't. Traditional non-hybrid V8 trucks and cars, diesels, etc....
True. But Ford is also selling their own EV vehicles alongside their ICE vehicles. So as an average, they're far more capable of meeting the CAFE standards. Stellantis, on the other hand, has the Hellcats dragging down their average.
Either way, the writing is on the wall. ICE vehicles aren't sustainable, based on the future fuel-economy requirements. So they can either start moving into the future, or die. I'm not defending their decision, but I can see why they're doing what they're doing. Canceling most (not all) of the hellcats - that helps. And canceling the least-popular engine (the EcoD) so they can focus on the near-term future of incorporating the Hurricane. The Hurricane, as I understand it, has the potential to be a hybrid as well, so it could help with the transition.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t care so much care if they offered the I6 but keep the Hemi and ecodiesel for those other consumers but I guess they figured if they drop most engine trims we”ll be forced to change. Not really just gonna mean the old ram will stay and I’ll just look at what other manufacturer are offering when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mdirads

Reaction score
Placed an order for an eco diesel limited today. Estimated to be 12-16 weeks until arrival.
I took delivery of a 2022 1500 Limited with the ecodiesel on 9/5 last week (ordered it 7/21/22). Very happy with the purchase. 250 miles of mixed driving and averaging 21.4 MPG. Also got the larger fuel tank.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I'll take people who don't understand EVs for $1000 Alex.

You can't use the poorly managed PG&E in Cali, and ERCOT, in Texas as examples.

Why not? I'm just asking to increase my own knowledge. Over 20% of the US population lives in CA or TX.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why not? I'm just asking to increase my own knowledge. Over 20% of the US population lives in CA or TX.
The power grids there are poorly managed. PG&E in Cali is constantly in court because their poor maintenance on the grid sparks many of the wildfires there. Most of the Texas grid is managed by a single company, and they don't draw power from outside their own grid unless they hit emergencies like what has happened the past couple years.

Also, anyone crying that more people owning EVs is going to take down the grid is basing their info off of extremes that have been politicized by the anti-EV people. It's basing it's numbers off everyone who owns an EV plugging a completely discharged battery into a supercharger at the exact same time. Which will never happen. For most owners, they use it for daily commute to/from work. Probably don't even discharge past halfway. They get and plug it in to their home chargers which are relatively low amp draw compared to commercial chargers, and will wake up the next morning to a 100% charged vehicle. The standard home EV charger uses less energy than your home A/C system.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
The power grids there are poorly managed. PG&E in Cali is constantly in court because their poor maintenance on the grid sparks many of the wildfires there. Most of the Texas grid is managed by a single company, and they don't draw power from outside their own grid unless they hit emergencies like what has happened the past couple years.

Also, anyone crying that more people owning EVs is going to take down the grid is basing their info off of extremes that have been politicized by the anti-EV people. It's basing it's numbers off everyone who owns an EV plugging a completely discharged battery into a supercharger at the exact same time. Which will never happen. For most owners, they use it for daily commute to/from work. Probably don't even discharge past halfway. They get and plug it in to their home chargers which are relatively low amp draw compared to commercial chargers, and will wake up the next morning to a 100% charged vehicle. The standard home EV charger uses less energy than your home A/C system.

Sounds like like we better find ways to correct and safeguard against poor management before increasing our reliance on EVs.

Txrebel22

Reaction score
Yeah this stinks Ram gave zero notice to owners about this. The 2023 catalog online shows the 3.0L Eco Diesel still as a option. I was going to order a 2023 Rebel with this engine only to be told by my dealership and they are as baffled by this whole decision also. I sent a email to Ram Corporate telling them how this is a huge mistake. Even Ford gave owners plenty of heads up notice when they killed their 3.0L Diesel option. Towing payload was not the issue. What I wanted was off-road capability near peer to a TRX/Raptor with better payload and better fuel efficiency. That’s what owners that where buying a Ram Rebel where looking for. You can’t do that with a EV truck that hasn’t been built or tested. Ram lost my business with this mistake I placed a order with GM. Never thought I’d see the day where Ram went Woke for the globalist that will Never buy their trucks.

Moonlightboater

Reaction score

Ram Issues “Last Call” For EcoDiesel Engine In Ram 1500!​

Production Of Diesel Model Will End In January...​

View attachment 139071

After offering a diesel powerplant in its Ram 1500 for almost a decade, Ram has issued a “last call” for potential buyers of its 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 engine. The move marks an end of an era for the Ram 1500, as production of the third-generation EcoDiesel Ram 1500 will wrap up in January 2023.

Just ordered a 2023 Ram Laramie. The eco diesel was not an option it was on 9/21 available on a limited with 5'7" bed. I wanted a crew cab 6'4" bed. Also this may have always been but tried to build a GT with the 6'4" bed and it would accept and changed back to 5" 7" bed. So maybe there is less choices when ordering a 2023.

KMach

Reaction score
Not for nothing, not bashing people with an ED, but I’d stay away I think. I’ve personally seen three that have failed recently, finally get the engine in from a long wait in parts and now they have to be sent back and not installed because of a “pending” recall coming. Between it being low in sales I’d imagine they are sick of the troubles this engine has caused over the years.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not for nothing, not bashing people with an ED, but I’d stay away I think. I’ve personally seen three that have failed recently, finally get the engine in from a long wait in parts and now they have to be sent back and not installed because of a “pending” recall coming. Between it being low in sales I’d imagine they are sick of the troubles this engine has caused over the years.
I absolutely love the gas mileage of the ED, but I agree that it’s not the best decision for long-term reliability. If I were planning to keep the truck longer than the warranty, I would’ve stuck with my ‘21 hemi.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Between it being low in sales I’d imagine they are sick of the troubles this engine has caused over the years.
At one time, the ED made up 20% of the RAM 1500 sales volume. This was back in 2015 and I don't know what the lastest mix was. At the time I ordered (11/2021) my dealer told me the ED was very popular but at that time, diesel was also less expensive than gas in the SE Michigan market.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had both and hand calc my mileage each tank. The EcoD netted about 5 MPG better with the same types of mods (wheels, tires, small lift). 5 MPG would be significant, except that diesel fuel is $1.40/gallon more, DEF is now nearly $20 per jug, oil filters are $35, fuel filters are $35, etc. In the end, the Hemi is actually saving me money.

I will say the EcoD drives SO much nicer. It's really night and day from a drivability standpoint. But the complexity, expense, and reliability issues cause me to not miss it.

Users who are viewing this thread