5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Issues “Last Call” For EcoDiesel Engine In Ram 1500!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Ram Issues “Last Call” For EcoDiesel Engine In Ram 1500!​

Production Of Diesel Model Will End In January...​

1663088406556.png

After offering a diesel powerplant in its Ram 1500 for almost a decade, Ram has issued a “last call” for potential buyers of its 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 engine. The move marks an end of an era for the Ram 1500, as production of the third-generation EcoDiesel Ram 1500 will wrap up in January 2023.

tom318

Reaction score
This is rather frustrating, I was considering replacing mine with a newer one since I've racked up so many miles so quickly but not sure I'm in the positions to do so by January! Maybe the 3.0 Duramax will hang on a bit longer before the EVs take over (not that i dont like EVs), I just like my 800 miles of range at the moment.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is rather frustrating, I was considering replacing mine with a newer one since I've racked up so many miles so quickly but not sure I'm in the positions to do so by January! Maybe the 3.0 Duramax will hang on a bit longer before the EVs take over (not that i dont like EVs), I just like my 800 miles of range at the moment.

I agree. I had hoped they'd continue with the EcoDiesel until I was ready to trade so there would still be a market for them. But my trade timeframe is way down the road unless something happens.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems they’re eliminating all their bread and butter products. This could fail miserably for them.

Yep watch consumers start switching to other manufacturers because of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep watch consumers start switching to other manufacturers because of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All this talk about eliminating Hellcats already has the gearheads in a tizzy. Now this. Seems like Stellantis is really bowing down to government regulations. What’s next the Cummin’s?🤔

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All we can really do about it is vote with our wallets. It’s pretty disappointing, though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seems they’re eliminating all their bread and butter products. This could fail miserably for them.
Not sure I'd call the eco-diesel "bread and butter". Compared to gasoline powered Rams, it was a low volume engine. Those who want a diesel for towing usually step up to the Cummins in the 3/4 or 1 tons. Especially if you are looking at towing over 10k lbs. And the fuel mileage benefit has been all but eliminated with the current cost of deisel fuel.

Dewey

Reaction score
Not sure I'd call the eco-diesel "bread and butter". Compared to gasoline powered Rams, it was a low volume engine. Those who want a diesel for towing usually step up to the Cummins in the 3/4 or 1 tons. Especially if you are looking at towing over 10k lbs. And the fuel mileage benefit has been all but eliminated with the current cost of deisel fuel.
Eco-diesels seem very popular around here. Seems to be a very large sales volume locally and dealers seem to stock more of them than Hemi’s.

Bread and butter was more referring to the muscle vehicles like the Hellcats but eliminating the ECO option is just opening the door attempting to sell more new
in-line 6’s. Create less options hoping to boost the eventual ramp up for production of them. Between that and EV’s it’s going to be a very different company that’s creating a whole new image. Might not turn out well for them. I see a lot of buyers jumping ship.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Eco-diesels seem very popular around here. Seems to be a very large sales volume locally and dealers seem to stock more of them than Hemi’s.

Bread and butter was more referring to the muscle vehicles like the Hellcats but eliminating the ECO option is just opening the door attempting to sell more new
in-line 6’s. Create less options hoping to boost the eventual ramp up for production of them. Between that and EV’s it’s going to be a very different company that’s creating a whole new image. Might not turn out well for them. I see a lot of buyers jumping ship.
To me, the hellcat thing is like when Mitsubishi got rid of the Evolution because they were going green(er). It’s an utter disappointment.

Dewey

Reaction score
We’ve officially gone from “…bro, what kinda engine ya got under there…” to “…bro, how big is that battery…?!?!??”
At least it’ll end the 3.21 vs 3.92 debate.😆

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just wait until power grid cannot keep up with electrical demands of those 🤬 EVs. That'll be lots of fun. I suppose Big Gov't will step in to increase taxes to pay for more power plants.

Dave
I'll take people who don't understand EVs for $1000 Alex.

You can't use the poorly managed PG&E in Cali, and ERCOT, in Texas as examples.

Bullitt2735

Reaction score
Just spoke to a local dealer and was told the ecodiesel orders have opened for most of the trims but not rebel

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We’ve officially gone from “…bro, what kinda engine ya got under there…” to “…bro, how big is that battery…?!?!??”
Actually it would be more, what inverter do you have in that thing

tom318

Reaction score
To me, the hellcat thing is like when Mitsubishi got rid of the Evolution because they were going green(er). It’s an utter disappointment.
They didn’t sell to many evo’s but since they stopped selling them I didn’t even realize Mitsubishi existed. That didn’t go well for them. At the time I could only dream of affording an evo....now that I might have interest in it I completely forgot about them.
I’m not a fan of GM but have already been looking into that I6 duramax.....hopefully they keep it around a few more years.

Users who are viewing this thread