5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram getting rid of the 5.7 in favor of an Inline 6?

dwalme

Reaction score
Money and power. And staying in power once they get there.

I don't speak for all politicians but I would go with the formula of gross worth at start of political career and gross worth at end of political career.
How does their income grow so incremental on such a comparable small salary!

And from NYC the mayor's wife has an unaccounted "900 million".

I see what you are trying to connect but fail to see how supporting EVs or clean energy or anything of the sort gets it done.

They just as easily could pick something you like and support and accomplish the same thing.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I see what you are trying to connect but fail to see how supporting EVs or clean energy or anything of the sort gets it done.

They just as easily could pick something you like and support and accomplish the same thing.
The NYC mayor's wife did.

and others do

Wish I could connect all the dotted lines for the wealth that is accumulated while people are in political office and for that matter after political office, for that seems even a more profitable route.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
+1 for me for gas-electric hybrid vs full on EV for our next Gen Rams. Just makes since for maintaining Ram truck capability while still evolving...Guess that’s why Ford did power boost...Ram should probably follow...Gas-electric hybrid vs full EV is the way to go for half-ton and up trucks...Get efficiency, range, PLUS duty...Next to gas-only I actually like the way hybrids drive...Think e-torque was Rams first attempt, but now need to make full hybrid.

silver billet

Reaction score
FCA has already done hybrids for a while now; they have the minivan, they have the etorque, they have the jeep 4x4 "e". They know their Ram base though, while Ford is happy to give their customers turbo charged weed eaters, the Ram core is still made up of strong v8 lovers.

As to Henry Ford; it's funny, but not true in this case. I'm not asking for faster/more powerful diesel/gas (horses), I'm simply stating my requirements; my truck has to tow long distance, and in Canada for at least/min the next 20 years, that means all electric is 100% a non starter.

jimchi

Reaction score
I would have gotten a turbo or hybrid I6 if it was available. I remember hearing rumors of an FCA I6 for a few years now, but it seems the project has fizzled out under Stellantis. It would be cool if they do decide to make it.

BTW, Those talking about how the electric grid isn't ready for electric cars don’t know what they're talking about. Anyone who has ever seen a load forecast knows the solution is nighttime charging. As an example, take a look at the following website from the PJM regional transmission operator:
Scroll down and you'll see the "Load Forecast" graph, which shows that last night, there was 65GW of load, and today, they are expecting 95GW peak. That's a 30GW delta, meaning that there's at least that miuch available for overnight charging (and you'll note from the pie chart, coal, gas, and nuclear make up a majority of the power production in the PJM territory).

Last edited:

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
I would have gotten a turbo or hybrid I6 if it was available. I remember hearing rumors of an FCA I6 for a few years now, but it seems the project has fizzled out under Stellantis. It would be cool if they do decide to make it.

BTW, Those talking about how the electric grid isn't ready for electric cars doesn't know what they're talking about. Anyone who has ever seen a load forecast knows the solution is nighttime charging. As an example, take a look at the following website from the PJM regional transmission operator:
Scroll down and you'll see the "Load Forecast" graph, which shows that last night, there was 65GW of load, and today, they are expecting 95GW peak. That's a 30GW delta, meaning that there's at least that miuch available for overnight charging (and you'll note from the pie chart, coal, gas, and nuclear make up a majority of the power production in the PJM territory).
You'll never convince the naysayers. The reality is that no matter what facts you present they will find a reason why it's not relevant to their personal situation, and some may very well not be.

Personally, with any luck this will be my last ICE vehicle. If RAM comes out with an EV that can at least match current towing capacities and a range of approx. 400 miles, that will get me to any of the Northern Ontario campgrounds I go to on a single charge. If not range, then charge times need to come down to something close to the range of filling up at Costco including wait time (sometimes 15 - 20 min).

I'm not a fan of gov'ts trying to pick winners & losers (they're rarely if ever right) but EVs are still a nascent industry that needs help from gov'ts if it's going to get a solid footing against ICE vehicles. And let's remember that more than once, gov'ts around the world have had to get involved and bailout traditional automakers.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess the days Ram stops offering a v8 Hemi option is the day I start looking at other manufacturers or sticking with an older truck.

I hate how they seem to be trying to force EV on everybody. I can see the benefits for some especially if bulk of their driving is locally. Wouldn’t benefit me any since I’m usually traveling all all the states for work. I can only imagine the headache trying to drive let’s say from Florida where I live up to New Jersey for work in an electric vehicle. That would make what’s already a long drive even longer if your having to rely on charging. Plus the more EV on the road good luck finding a available working charger. The infrastructure just isn’t here and won’t probably be for a long long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not around here for sure. Our infrastructure cannot facilitate evs. Even if it is pennies on the dollar to charge at home. What do you think will happen to your energy bill when they notice all the night time charging? It’s gonna sky rocket. And then gasoline will be less than $2 again. Like I said, EVs have their place.

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
anything that youtuber talks about I ignore immediately. he is one of the worst in my opinion
I know right? I almost wasted 10 minutes of my life but skipped through it and he said the same things over and over. He could have done it in 2 minutes and it still would have put me to sleep.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll never convince the naysayers. The reality is that no matter what facts you present they will find a reason why it's not relevant to their personal situation, and some may very well not be.

Personally, with any luck this will be my last ICE vehicle. If RAM comes out with an EV that can at least match current towing capacities and a range of approx. 400 miles, that will get me to any of the Northern Ontario campgrounds I go to on a single charge. If not range, then charge times need to come down to something close to the range of filling up at Costco including wait time (sometimes 15 - 20 min).

I'm not a fan of gov'ts trying to pick winners & losers (they're rarely if ever right) but EVs are still a nascent industry that needs help from gov'ts if it's going to get a solid footing against ICE vehicles. And let's remember that more than once, gov'ts around the world have had to get involved and bailout traditional automakers.
It'll get there eventually. I remember Tesla's earlier days when Elon envisioned the option to do automated battery swaps at certain charging facilities. It was as fast to swap a battery as it was to fill a tank of gas. Of course, it was cost prohibited and it never came to fruition, but it's cool to see what people can come up with when they are left alone to themselves.

Ultimately, beyond range and the slowness to recharge on long road trips, I think the biggest handicap to EV's are obtaining all the materials necessary to make the batteries. Battery chemistry needs to keep changing. I know something will come to fruition, but it's an achilles heel.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
It'll get there eventually. I remember Tesla's earlier days when Elon envisioned the option to do automated battery swaps at certain charging facilities. It was as fast to swap a battery as it was to fill a tank of gas. Of course, it was cost prohibited and it never came to fruition, but it's cool to see what people can come up with when they are left alone to themselves.

Ultimately, beyond range and the slowness to recharge on long road trips, I think the biggest handicap to EV's are obtaining all the materials necessary to make the batteries. Battery chemistry needs to keep changing. I know something will come to fruition, but it's an achilles heel.
Take a look at the link I posted a little while back. GM is investing in a geothermal electricity generating project in California that is tapping into a lithium rich brine reservoir. They're forecasting being able to extract enough lithium to produce 6 million EVs annually by mid-2024. Granted that is just a drop in the bucket when you consider that there were an estimated 97 million vehicles were built world wide in 2018 and that number will recover and continue to grow, but if there is one lithium brine reservoir, you can bet there are others. Keep in mind that companies are working on the next generation of battery technology beyond lithium.

Jako

Reaction score

I would add to the end of the 1st paragraph "with unlimited funds and resources".

Users who are viewing this thread