5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram getting rid of the 5.7 in favor of an Inline 6?

Nukegm426

Reaction score
I love being right.... been asking how everyone thinks they’ll power all the electric vehicles everytime it’s brought up. Look at commiefornia now, they asking electric vehicle owners not to charge them cause the grid can’t handle that and the rest of demand.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most states? The only one I'm aware of is California: The Land of Fruits and Nuts. And most people don't care about California.

It's actually CARB (California Air Resource Board), which is represented by 12 States at the moment.

However, those 12 states make up 50% of new vehicle sales and majority of profit for car manufacturers. So what CARB does essentially forces auto manufacturers to follow for the rest of the nation since it's cheaper to make vehicles under one policy. Manufacturers have been building under the CARB standard for over a decade now.

Consider that it's likely most of Europe, Asia and Latin America are going that direction as well, full electrification by 2035, you can expect it to happen for the rest of the US. There are quite a few auto builders already stating they will go full electric well before 2035.

ktl5005

Reaction score
States so far: California, New Mexico, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, Hawaii, Connecticut, New York, Oregon, North Carolina, Rhode Island, and Washington

With the EU, Canada and a number of other policy driving G7 countries already on the band wagon Biden probably isn’t far behind.
Your a bit off.
California is truely the only state to have the ban of new sales in law. CT law states it has to follow CA law. NJ introduced the idea, but it’s not written into law.

basically you just quoted the states whose governors wrote a letter to the White House to back changing to EV by 2035. The only state that truely has that in law is California, none of the other have.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think EV's are cool as hell, not for any perceived environmental reason but just because electric motors are really, really cool. I've had a Cybertruck reservation that I've held on to even though I have a 2022 Limited on order. The reality is that the logistics of obtaining all the materials for batteries is a massive, massive bottleneck for mass EV adoption. I don't know how they will cross that bridge and provide batteries that are robust and will charge quickly. It's an undertaking for sure.

I would not be surprised if a lot of this cut off date for ICE engines doesn't get backtracked on as we get closer and closer to 2035. Tesla's are cool. I think the new Lightning will be cool. I'm glad they exist, but there is a cost associated with it all that most people don't realize.

The Lightning will not be as cheap as they say unless you're buying a stripped work truck variant I don't believe I can buy a Tri-motor Cybertruck for 70K once my reservation comes up.

jcjohn

Reaction score
I love the concept of the ecodiesel. My Green Diesel Engineering tuned 2015 made 27 mpg on average over 47k miles. It made 23 mpg average when pulling my 17' deep V Lund. This was with stock exhaust and intake. If FIAT/Chrysler would have simply addressed the problems presented by this motor and its lack of longevity if not modified, I would still own one. When people think of diesels, they think hundreds of thousands of miles without issues. However, that simply isn't the case with the RAM ecodiesel unmodified. If they moved to a reliable and modestly engineered inline 4 or 6 cylinder turbodiesel that could hit the mpg without sacrificing horsepower, torque, or longevity, I'd be a customer over a 6 cylinder gasser.

EV cars/trucks are a long way from being reality for a majority of the populace. The range and charging times are simply way too long. Heck, driving a EV basically removes all efficiency provided by interstates when you have to sit at a convenience store and let the thing charge every few hundred miles. I remember the days of driving 55mph across the country and don't want to go back!

Give me the consistent power, longevity, and reliability of a big v8 any day. I don't want to hear phony exhaust tones pumped into the cab.

I also don't believe that Latin America or any other 3rd world or poorer countries are going to get on board with EVs. If you've ever been to Mexico, Costa Rica, or Nicaragua for example, the vast majority of mid-sized pickups run on diesel (See Toyota Hilux). They are going to use the cheapest and most reliable transportation for their growing economies, not hamstring them with electric standards.

ANYHEMI

Reaction score
The V8 is coming to an end sooner than we expect. Performance will not only live on but excel. The ONLY problem is the sound. The aftermarket will not save us because they have been trying to make V6 exhaust systems that sound as good as V8's for decades and have failed miserably.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Your a bit off.
California is truely the only state to have the ban of new sales in law. CT law states it has to follow CA law. NJ introduced the idea, but it’s not written into law.

basically you just quoted the states whose governors wrote a letter to the White House to back changing to EV by 2035. The only state that truely has that in law is California, none of the other have.

Sure, but the writing is on the wall. You have several manufacturers who already stated they will go full electric well before that date and some of the biggest by 2030 - 2035, such as GM, Ford, Toyota and VW.

This is of course stemming from whole countries stating they will be full EV by 2030 - 2035. The most recent being Canada by 2035.

Based on what's going on globally, 2035 seems to be the date most countries and manufacturers are targeting for full EV production & sales. There is no way that won't apply to the rest of the US.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just find it funny how this has devolved into an argument about electric. First, spouting off random stats like 90% of people won't be able to use electric. Please tell me more about everyone going on daily commutes of over 300 miles. Do you fill up your tank every day of the week? You're in a very small minority if that's the case. Secondly, it's not that hard to envision coming home, plugging in your vehicle, and topping it off everyday. Most of these batteries charge to full in 12-16 hours on 120v if I remember correctly. You can easily top them off everyday.

I'm very intrigued by EVs. I'm an electrician for a living. Of course I'm gonna want one lol but I'm also interested in them because a freaking Tesla Model 3 can stomp a Hellcat Charger. I don't mean this literally but screw the environment. That power sounds awesome! Some of the complaints about the grid are valid and there are already plans to expand the charging network but let's be real. Our infrastructure as a whole has been needing work for decades now. It's no wonder the past three presidents have said they're going to fix our infrastructure and unfortunately have failed to do so.

Everyone is caught up on the degradation from towing. We already have evidence that Ford tested their EPA 300 mile range on the new lightning with 1000lbs of payload in the back. Obviously towing =/= hauling something in the bed but it's a good indicator that you may get better mileage towing than people suspect.

Besides the drawbacks of time to charge IF YOU'RE ON A LONG ROAD TRIP (which can be mitigated by just getting food while you wait to charge) and it doesn't sound cool. I really don't see any real cons to electric. Less moving parts. Less maintenance. Torque immediately available. Etc. Etc. Sure the batteries are expensive but if you're getting 100-150,000 miles out of batteries without any real degradation I don't think it's an issue.

Edited to add more info: Hyundais new Ioniq 5 will charge from 10% to 80% in 18 minutes with the proper configuration of charger. So imagining a network of national chargers that can supply this energy is not far fetched.

Also, if the average American drives 15,000 miles a yr you're looking at an average of 41 miles a day. 20,000 miles is 55 miles a day.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ev’s have their purpose. Maybe in smog filled cities where commute is 5 miles and there are tons of charging stations. IMO using fossil fuels to charge an EV pretty much defeats the purpose. It’s smoke and mirrors to introduce regulations and taxes no one wants. I would like to have a golf cart though.

silver billet

Reaction score
Do you fill up your tank every day of the week? You're in a very small minority if that's the case.

Yes I do, actually. And so does everyone else I know, none of whom live in a city.

Keep in mind that though electric currently satisfies 90% of the needs of many people, it's that last 10% that can make it a non starter (keep in mind we're on a truck forum where trucks get used to do truck things).

I don't tow every day, far from it. But for those days I DO tow, electric falls flat on its face; no charging stations when I need them, and if I manage to get towed to one I'm going to unhook my trailer everytime before charging just so I can fit???

So for electric trucks, it still has to be able to do my entire needs, not just the 90% yearly needs.

All electric trucks are stupid unless you just city drive them or go back and forth to work.

The better idea is a hybrid approach, like the chevy volt or powerboost (only without the crummy Ford part of it) where gas/diesel engines are augmented by electric, but not completely eliminated.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I do, actually. And so does everyone else I know, none of whom live in a city.

Keep in mind that though electric currently satisfies 90% of the needs of many people, it's that last 10% that can make it a non starter (keep in mind we're on a truck forum where trucks get used to do truck things).

I don't tow every day, far from it. But for those days I DO tow, electric falls flat on its face; no charging stations when I need them, and if I manage to get towed to one I'm going to unhook my trailer everytime before charging just so I can fit???

So for electric trucks, it still has to be able to do my entire needs, not just the 90% yearly needs.

All electric trucks are stupid unless you just city drive them or go back and forth to work.

The better idea is a hybrid approach, like the chevy volt or powerboost (only without the crummy Ford part of it) where gas/diesel engines are augmented by electric, but not completely eliminated.
May I ask what you're doing to burn through 500 miles of range every single day? I live on 40 acres of land. I'd consider myself pretty rural as well. Since we share that in common you should know that they don't give a rats *** about us even if we do fall into the 10% because they're gonna make money else where.

Ironically, this video I linked to in the original post is about Ram making an inline 6 hybrid to compete. It seems like many failed to watch.

dwalme

Reaction score
You guys talking about EVs is funny. Only good for 5 mile commute? Ha. They have 250-350 miles of range.

Who drives more than that in a single day? Almost no one.

Charging networks are important and are needed for those that do long road trips. How many road trips do you take a year? 1? 3? 5? 10? 0?

On a daily basis you will never use a charger outside your home. So range is a non-issue. Every day you leave you start with "full tank of gas" without ever having to go somewhere else to fill up.

If you drive more than 200 miles a day I would not recommend an EV. For everyone else it's really superior technology and a superior ownership/driver experience.

Unless you've lived with an EV you really shouldn't talk about life with one. You don't know what you are talking about. 5 mile commute....Ha.

And to stay on topic I would trade my old tech 2021 Hemi V8 for a modern tech turbo inline 6 with more power and better fuel economy any day of the week.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably the wrong thread to get into an extended discussion on electric vehicles, but what the heck.
It seems to me that the manufacturers are taking the wrong approach with EV's. The biggest push-back is "range anxiety". I have it too. I'm like everyone else - I could charge at home 320 days a year. But on those other 45 days, I still need my vehicle. I wouldn't dream of taking a 1000-mile road trip in an EV unless I had a rock-solid plan for when/where I was going to be able to find a charging station (and have the time to sit and wait).
I think EV's would suddenly make perfect sense for most people if there were quick-swap batteries. You could pull up to a gas station, swap your drained battery out for a fully-charged one, and be on your way in 10 minutes. I know, the batteries are being incorporated into the frames and can't be pulled out easily. But that's where the manufacturers should be finding a solution. Either that, or a portable "range extender" battery that you can carry with you if you want/need.

jcjohn

Reaction score
Besides the drawbacks of time to charge IF YOU'RE ON A LONG ROAD TRIP (which can be mitigated by just getting food while you wait to charge) and it doesn't sound cool. I really don't see any real cons to electric. Less moving parts. Less maintenance. Torque immediately available. Etc. Etc. Sure the batteries are expensive but if you're getting 100-150,000 miles out of batteries without any real degradation I don't think it's an issue.
Ev’s have their purpose. Maybe in smog filled cities where commute is 5 miles and there are tons of charging stations. IMO using fossil fuels to charge an EV pretty much defeats the purpose. It’s smoke and mirrors to introduce regulations and taxes no one wants. I would like to have a golf cart though.

Grape_Ape- if you live in a rural area, I would expect you to be less naive. "I really don't see any real cons to electric." I suppose you may have the same perspective on ethanol. However, theblet nailed it in his post.

EV requirements and ethanol mandates are examples of overreach by the federal government (and "new world order") to introduce regulations and taxes that nobody wants. It is the phony creation of "demand" through the use of federal requirements intended to pass an agenda. I've lived in Iowa my entire life, and ethanol production does no favors to the environment. It encourages overproduction of corn to the detriment of the environment, water, and wildlife habitat. Bio and soy diesel have the same impacts. Why do you think 90% or more of waterways in Iowa are impaired? Further downstream, take a moment to read about the dead zone at the mouth of the Mississippi.

The expansion of EV and the surge in demand for rare earth minerals needed for the batteries and micro chips to run these vehicles and to upgrade the infrastructure will have the same consequences. Anybody who thinks these "green" initiatives are truly for the benefit of the environment are being either tacitly or passively ignorant. Don't get me started on the stupid wind turbines either...

For anybody who is drinking the Kool Aid on increasing our dependency on EV, I highly encourage you to read the book "One Second After". The forward is written by Newt Gingrich, and it is a story based on real world studies on the massive vulnerability of this nation's electrical grid and infrastructure. It is a sobering tale to say the least.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We will have an electric vehicle within the next 5 years. We bought the HD truck to pull our RV fish house but all the other driving we do could be done with an EV. It will be my wife’s daily driver and our weekend family vehicle. Anywhere we go that far away is with the camper

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
we have a Chevy Bolt and the Ram 1500. the bolt is 100% electric, not to be confused with a Volt which is a plug in hybrid. honestly as much as I was against EV's, the bolt is a blast to drive. it makes sense as a daily for my wife, but road trips are a no go. she went to Madison WI from Chicago IL with the EV and it was just enough to get there. I couldn't imagine doing an actual road trip. finding chargers isn't that hard, but finding chargers that are empty AND WORKING is another story. for us, it makes sense to have one EV and one ICE vehicle. I couldn't imagine the range drop off if I was towing in the winter.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Grape_Ape- if you live in a rural area, I would expect you to be less naive. "I really don't see any real cons to electric." I suppose you may have the same perspective on ethanol. However, theblet nailed it in his post.

EV requirements and ethanol mandates are examples of overreach by the federal government (and "new world order") to introduce regulations and taxes that nobody wants. It is the phony creation of "demand" through the use of federal requirements intended to pass an agenda. I've lived in Iowa my entire life, and ethanol production does no favors to the environment. It encourages overproduction of corn to the detriment of the environment, water, and wildlife habitat. Bio and soy diesel have the same impacts. Why do you think 90% or more of waterways in Iowa are impaired? Further downstream, take a moment to read about the dead zone at the mouth of the Mississippi.

The expansion of EV and the surge in demand for rare earth minerals needed for the batteries and micro chips to run these vehicles and to upgrade the infrastructure will have the same consequences. Anybody who thinks these "green" initiatives are truly for the benefit of the environment are being either tacitly or passively ignorant. Don't get me started on the stupid wind turbines either...

For anybody who is drinking the Kool Aid on increasing our dependency on EV, I highly encourage you to read the book "One Second After". The forward is written by Newt Gingrich, and it is a story based on real world studies on the massive vulnerability of this nation's electrical grid and infrastructure. It is a sobering tale to say the least.
Yup. Don't believe everything you hear on the news, or from the elite class. Their motivation has nothing to do with helping you, or the environment.

silver billet

Reaction score
May I ask what you're doing to burn through 500 miles of range every single day? I live on 40 acres of land. I'd consider myself pretty rural as well. Since we share that in common you should know that they don't give a rats *** about us even if we do fall into the 10% because they're gonna make money else where.

Ironically, this video I linked to in the original post is about Ram making an inline 6 hybrid to compete. It seems like many failed to watch.

It's not the every day aspect that's the problem. It's the remaining 10% of truck use that makes it a non-starter. Try towing an rv/trailer with an all electric truck and then tell me A) you managed to get where you intended to go, B) it only took a few extra hours for charging stops, and C) it was as stress free as gas/diesel.

I'm all for an inline 6 hybrid for those that want them. But "all electric" is not going to fly in at least 20 years unless your truck duty is no different than what a civic would do.

Users who are viewing this thread