5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram getting rid of the 5.7 in favor of an Inline 6?

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
So with most countries/states banning sale of gasoline engines by 2035, this begs the question of is it worth it to put additional engineering into a new power plant for just over ten years of sales? Lots of speculation, but no announcements yet. I think you’ll see smaller and smaller turbo charged V6/v4 engines from existing lineups with updates before a new to market inline turbo 6 is produced. Think pentastar v6 and the 2.0 v4 that have been around for decades.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the hp/torque, I know turbo 6-bangers can out power the Hemi, I came from a 2.7L Ecoboost which was honestly faster in my F150.

The issue for me is the sound. My F150 was strong and got good fuel economy, but sounded like an Accord. That rumbling Hemi V8 (with aftermarket muffler) gives my RAM a "sense of occasion" when driving, heck just turning it on is awesome.

There is hope however, on the new Ford Raptor, they used a special exhaust system that gives it an almost V8 sound. Maybe we will have something like that when the RAM goes V6 only.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Yeh it’s funny I came from a 2.7 F150 EB and it was ridiculously fast compared to my ‘20 Ram Hemi, but never got the the same compliments I get now from eg car wash attendants, valet parkers, etc...That Hemi V8 rumble/Borla exhaust combo at startup and initial step on the gas gets them every time! 😉😂

HemiDude

Reaction score
I have traditionally purchased my vehicles and kept them for 5-10 years, as opposed to those who lease or trade in every 2-3 (my wife, for example). It would be a shame if the Ram that I bought a year ago is the last 1500 that I buy. I'm not interested in a small engine/large vehicle combination, and I don't care for the electronic exhaust sounds that are emerging.

Having said all of that, I've heard this story before. If you grew up in the '70s and '80s, you saw how federal mandates dictated the end of all fun and performance when it came to new vehicles....except they didn't. People want what they want, and if new vehicles don't offer it the aftermarket rises to the challenge. Once manufacturers see how much potential opportunity they are missing, they suddenly find ways to meet regulations and produce what buyers are after.

I'm not "get off of my lawn guy" :D. I'm not knocking hybrids, advanced technology, increased efficiency or anyone else's preferences. I think it's great to have choices, and I think that abandoning one of the facets that definitely sells trucks - a v8 gas engine - is an instant way to reduce sales and force some people to look elsewhere for their enjoyment. I know I will ;)

Jako

Reaction score
V6 vs V8 kind of reminds me of the young bull (V6) vs the old bull (V8)

There's a young bull and an old bull up on top of a hill.
Down in the valley below is a herd of cows.
The young bull is excited just looking at all those cows, and he says, "Hey. Lets run down there and get one of them cows!"
And the old bull says, "No, son. Lets walk down and get 'em all."

Just seems like the old bull (V8) will maintain a nice pace and keep going on and on while the young bull (V6) will get there faster but just not be there later like the old bull.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
Well, electrification of vehicles sounds nice until you get out of metropolitan areas and see the vast rural areas of the USA. That delivery system for the vast majority of the USA has to be solved before EVs become standard. I love my hemi, but I wouldn’t mind a inline 6 that gives more bp and torque while providing better mpg. But pls don’t go the turbo route…..mpg has not worked out, just look at Ford and the ecoboost . Yest fast, but worst mpg when under load. I believe a hybrid is where the next 10 year window should be played out due to the issue mention above. remeber Chrysler did hybrids a long time ago. They were not very good, but they have history and now the technology has caught up with it. just my opinion. Otherwise, get off my lawn as said by Clint Eastwood.

Jako

Reaction score
Well, electrification of vehicles sounds nice until you get out of metropolitan areas and see the vast rural areas of the USA. That delivery system for the vast majority of the USA has to be solved before EVs become standard. I love my hemi, but I wouldn’t mind a inline 6 that gives more bp and torque while providing better mpg. But pls don’t go the turbo route…..mpg has not worked out, just look at Ford and the ecoboost . Yest fast, but worst mpg when under load. I believe a hybrid is where the next 10 year window should be played out due to the issue mention above. remeber Chrysler did hybrids a long time ago. They were not very good, but they have history and now the technology has caught up with it. just my opinion. Otherwise, get off my lawn as said by Clint Eastwood.
For those unfamiliar with the movie Gran Torino.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It has been said that powertrain changes are coming for the 2023 refresh. Can’t imagine they would be this major.

There has been talk of the turbo I6 for years now. If it was imminent I would’ve expected it to debut in the Wagoneer/ Grand Wagoneer

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Change is coming and I can accept that if done properly. I’m sure people in 1900 thought that these hard to start, unreliable automobiles were almost useless compared to their very reliable horse. At some point though, the pendulum swung and it became very obvious that this was a better means of transportation.
The issue I have with our current situation is that change is not occurring from a need or from innovation, but rather from government and political bias. At some point a new technology will make our beloved gas engines obsolete. The problem is right now we are nowhere near a new technology. Electrification simply does not work for 90% of drivers. It also is not as green as everyone thinks or being told it is. Electricity is not magic. It has to be created. To create it burns fuel. Combine this with the fact our current infrastructure cannot support 100+ million cars plugging in every day. Then there is the mining for lithium and other precious metals and how to dispose of all these batteries. The reality is we are decades away from a true alternative. This change needs to come from innovation. That’s the beauty of our system. If someone can come up with an idea, they will become very rich. Doing it by government mandates will pass on higher auto costs, skyrocketing electric bills and major inconvenience from blackouts and limited range from our automobiles.
I could go on and on but said enough. I’m back to the original question on this thread. A good six cylinder should be a good option. I still prefer my Hemi as I really see no advantage from the six in the Fords. The gas mileage advantage is negligible and totally disappears when under a load. It also sounds horrific and will not last as long as a good old V8. Like it or not though, it’s coming. Nowadays we do things to appease the few and burden the many.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So with most countries/states banning sale of gasoline engines by 2035, this begs the question of is it worth it to put additional engineering into a new power plant for just over ten years of sales? Lots of speculation, but no announcements yet. I think you’ll see smaller and smaller turbo charged V6/v4 engines from existing lineups with updates before a new to market inline turbo 6 is produced. Think pentastar v6 and the 2.0 v4 that have been around for decades.

Most states? The only one I'm aware of is California: The Land of Fruits and Nuts. And most people don't care about California.

Exactly. Gasoline and Diesel vehicles have been in control for 150 years. Do people really think that we haven't seen anything else go mainstream because society just hasn't tried hard enough?

If there was a better way, we'd have seen it. EVs will never be the dominant form of travel until you can charge one up in less than 5 minutes on every street corner in America and then drive 400+ miles before charging again, and it's going to be a L O N G time before that happens. And even then, there are numerous other problems with EVs like rapid loss of battery life while towing, the need for 240 volt outlets at home, etc.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s crazy to even think they would get rid of the hemi anytime soon. But who knows

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Most states? The only one I'm aware of is California: The Land of Fruits and Nuts. And most people don't care about California.

States so far: California, New Mexico, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, Hawaii, Connecticut, New York, Oregon, North Carolina, Rhode Island, and Washington

With the EU, Canada and a number of other policy driving G7 countries already on the band wagon Biden probably isn’t far behind.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no additional development happening with any of the hemi engines and by 2025(?) there will be a hybrid or full electric version in the entire Stellantis lineup. I think the same chart basically shows the hemi on its way out around then as well. I'll see if I can dig up the video or chart that I saw.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Anyone else concerned that the people making these decisions are idiots? They pass laws that control other parts of our lives as well, usually devoid of thought, purely based on how they "feel"

silver billet

Reaction score
The ecoboosts have a problem towing, they work so hard that towing up hills in the summer they overheat. Checkout TFL truck where Andre pretty much overheated his little power boost pulling a modest load up a long hill. The hemi will heat up somewhat too, but Andre's truck actually cut power.

This is the reason why people like V8's. The hemi makes less power than a 3.5, but I want reliable and stable power, the amount of times I thought "gee I wish I hit 60 a half second faster" is next to 0.

The inline 6 has been rumoured for a long while now. My guess is within a year or two it will be an option along side the other engines. No reason they can't keep the v8 around too.

And a lot can happen before 2035. That's the planned date for stopping "new sales", but that will probably get pushed back for trucks, especially in Canada. What are you going to do when towing, plug in to the spruce tree? Canada is basically 4 to 5 large cities, and then the rest is forest, tundra, and ice. No way do we have a proper network of electrical charge stations by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online