5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 - Headliner rattle and Passenger seat creak

NJRam93

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just picked up my Ram 1500 a week ago. I’m hearing a squeak and rattle when I hit the slightest bumps from the headliner. I can duplicate the sound by pressing on it. Anyone else have this issue? Also when I have a passenger in the front seat, during turns or bumps it sounds like bolts are creaking. Started pressing on the fabric and I think it might be the fabric making the stretching sound. Anyone have this issue either? Other than that stuff, the truck’s awesome. I took it to the dealer but unfortunately couldn’t leave it at the time to have the headliner ripped out. They looked at me like I was crazy when I told them it’s definitely the Velcro clips holding the headliner.
Sorry for the long introduction/post, but any insight?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just picked up my Ram 1500 a week ago. I’m hearing a squeak and rattle when I hit the slightest bumps from the headliner. I can duplicate the sound by pressing on it. Anyone else have this issue? Also when I have a passenger in the front seat, during turns or bumps it sounds like bolts are creaking. Started pressing on the fabric and I think it might be the fabric making the stretching sound. Anyone have this issue either? Other than that stuff, the truck’s awesome. I took it to the dealer but unfortunately couldn’t leave it at the time to have the headliner ripped out. They looked at me like I was crazy when I told them it’s definitely the Velcro clips holding the headliner.

Hi NJRam93,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning! If you end up having a formal diagnosis with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

illucid

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
For the creaking noise, take a look under the truck and look for a bundle of wires running the length of the truck. Try stuffing some socks or cloths in between them and the floorboard. I know it sounds crazy lol but it has been a known source of the creaking for a couple people, including myself.
As far as the headliner noise, try stuffing foam pieces that puts a little bit of tension between the headliner and the roof where the clips are. Hope this helps!

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Unfortunately for this kind of stuff I find it better to trace it down and fix it yourself if it’s minor. Probably something like a loose or broken clip. A little tightening here or silicone there will fix most creaks and rattles. Finding them is what’s annoying. But you will certainly be more careful and patient then most techs ripping through your truck looking for that needle in a haystack. Possibly creating two new rattles for every one fixed. Good luck. In the meantime......

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
For the headliner use felt flocking tape. Place the tape between every black hard plastic Velcro hook and its retainer. I used 4mm thick felt tape. It holds the fasteners in their retainers and keeps them from clicking.

NJRam93

Reaction score
For the headliner use felt flocking tape. Place the tape between every black hard plastic Velcro hook and its retainer. I used 4mm thick felt tape. It holds the fasteners in their retainers and keeps them from clicking.

That’ll stop the squeaking in the headliner as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Chemist

Reaction score
That’ll stop the squeaking in the headliner as well?

It should stop the rattle. That's caused by loose Velcro retainers. The squeak may be the headliner rubbing on something. Could even be the center overhead console. Try to locate the exact position of the squeak and try some foam in that area as someone else said.

I thought they would have fixed this headliner nonsense since I took delivery of my truck svyear ago.

NJRam93

Reaction score
It should stop the rattle. That's caused by loose Velcro retainers. The squeak may be the headliner rubbing on something. Could even be the center overhead console. Try to locate the exact position of the squeak and try some foam in that area as someone else said.

I thought they would have fixed this headliner nonsense since I took delivery of my truck svyear ago.

I bought it used with 11,000 miles so it may have been an earlier production, but I can duplicate the squeak from pressing on any area of the headliner. Makes me think maybe the dreaded Velcro clips are loose and squeaking against the metal up there (all over the place)

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I bought it used with 11,000 miles so it may have been an earlier production, but I can duplicate the squeak from pressing on any area of the headliner. Makes me think maybe the dreaded Velcro clips are loose and squeaking against the metal up there (all over the place)

From going through this myself, the clips usually do not squeak. They click, tick and rattle.

I would start by trying the felt flocking tape. The dealer did a few of mine early on, but the issue came back. They used the Mopar flocking tape which was very thin. I bought 4mm thick flocking tape and stuck it to every single black plastic Velcro hook, then slid the hook back into its retainer. The tape I used was very thick so it wasn't an easy task getting the fasteners back in, but I succeeded. The fastebers cannot move now.

Then I pushed the headliner back up against the white Velcro loops that are glued to the metal roof frame around the sunroof.

You can pull the headliner down all around the perimeter. The A, B and C pillar trim will hold it in place. I did unscrew the overhead console so I had more access to the front header (2 bolts inside the sunglasses holder).

That may fix your problem. I still do get some noise from my headliner after all that. I don't think mine is centered correctly from the factory. I may have to try and correct that Or else it's the sunroof glass making noise in its frame. I applied silicone on the rubber frame surround but still have some noise.

Anyway, it's 95% better after I did the flocking tape application.

Just a horrible design!

NJRam93

Reaction score
Hi NJRam93,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning! If you end up having a formal diagnosis with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

I can’t seem to find a dealer that will offer a loaner car while my trucks in the shop. Is this how Ram typically treats customers?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I can’t seem to find a dealer that will offer a loaner car while my trucks in the shop. Is this how Ram typically treats customers?

Yep.

Honda gave me a brand new car anytime I was in for anything.

RamCares

Reaction score

Hi NJRam93,

I do apologize for this inconvenience. I just followed up with you on another thread, but I wanted to touch base with you here as well to let you know. Please take a moment to review my post when you can, hope to hear from you via PM soon.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread