5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 eTorque Voltage question

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s where mine usually is no etorque tho. Idk how much difference that makes
Same here. Non-etorque also. I've never seen mine go below 14v when running. I've even seen it as high as 14.9 to over 15v. I also have the 220amp alternator.

Dako

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I agree, and on a normal truck I’d know to pull the alternator and have it benched or replaced. With the Etorque system You’ve got the MGU, 48v battery, dc-dc converter, and more! Where the heck do I start.

12.6 volts at 75mph an hour into the trip just can’t be right.
I have a 23 Ram 1500 5.7 with E-Torque - 4000 miles. After starting it will charge at 13.4 to 13.9 volts. When on a long trip through the CA desert it drops down to 12.7 to 12.8 volts. It never goes lower than that (for over 200-miles) and it does not trigger any DTCs. I'm thinking this low charging rate is to improve the almighty MPG and keep the 12 volt battery from overheating. I've tried to get answers from my dealership, but they'd be guessing as I. Would be great to get corporate input.

jessed1

Reaction score
I have a 23 Ram 1500 5.7 with E-Torque - 4000 miles. After starting it will charge at 13.4 to 13.9 volts. When on a long trip through the CA desert it drops down to 12.7 to 12.8 volts. It never goes lower than that (for over 200-miles) and it does not trigger any DTCs. I'm thinking this low charging rate is to improve the almighty MPG and keep the 12 volt battery from overheating. I've tried to get answers from my dealership, but they'd be guessing as I. Would be great to get corporate input.
Pretty sure there is a thread around here that explains it in detail. But, if I recall correctly, this has to do with battery charging/recharging and your system needs less voltage to keep the battery topped off the longer you are driving (very non-technical explanation).

oildriller

Reaction score
Mine does the exact same thing

zieke

Reaction score
I have a 21 1500 5.7 etorque. I drove about 2-1/2 hours the other day, made it to my destination. Hung out for a bit, went to dinner...no problems. Parked it for the night, woke up the next morning and it wouldn't start. Jumped it, went to auto parts store for battery check. Battery was fine, they checked the "alternator" and it showed "Voltage Regulator Failure".

ameyer81

Reaction score
My 21 1500 5.7 etorque, 23k mi and woke up to a dead truck yesterday. Wouldn't even unlock, so I pulled the key out of the fob to open the driver side door. Jumped and ran for an hour, seems to be ok now.

This is very concerning, and I dislike having such an issue going into winter. If anyone has good insights or results from dealer/warranty repairs, I'd love to hear it.

Philth

Reaction score
'23 eTorque owner here.
Voltage varies quite a bit. Have seen it as low as 12.7 and high as 14.0. My understanding that this is normal so long there are no charging system error lights or MILs illuminated.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
'23 eTorque owner here.
Voltage varies quite a bit. Have seen it as low as 12.7 and high as 14.0. My understanding that this is normal so long there are no charging system error lights or MILs illuminated.

Yep your good it’s normal.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Yep your good it’s normal.
Previously owned a 2019 non-etorque and always had great charging voltage, even with a amp heavy aftermarket stereo.
New 2023 w/ e-torque and im noticing the same as described. Sometimes it runs at 13.4V-13.8v and sometimes it runs at 12.8v-13.1v.

Glad to hear its "normal" although weird.

Users who are viewing this thread