5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 1500 can handle a heavy payload easily.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is no payload difference between gears.

The difference is only the GCWR.

And yes. Even the old VIN configurator was wrong most times.

A member here is responsible for getting the numbers right.

Even the configurator without VIN is a bit better with its numbers too.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no payload difference between gears.

The difference is only the GCWR.

And yes. Even the old VIN configurator was wrong most times.

A member here is responsible for getting the numbers right.

Even the configurator without VIN is a bit better with its numbers too.
Idk, the way I see it is if the different ratio can pull a heavier load....why wouldn't it be able to haul a heavier load..? I don't mean it should be able to haul 8k pounds lol...I just mean like a few hundred more is not unheard of. But then again....I only haul....not tow (hence the reason for my owning a pickup)

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Idk, the way I see it is if the different ratio can pull a heavier load....why wouldn't it be able to haul a heavier load..? I don't mean it should be able to haul 8k pounds lol...I just mean like a few hundred more is not unheard of. But then again....I only haul....not tow (hence the reason for my owning a pickup)

So I'm pretty sure that's the difference between GVWR and GCWR

The gross combined rating is everything that engine can pull and the brakes can stop with.
Good engine and gear will get the load moving.
But payload is allll about GVWR. What's the lightest most stripped down truck riding on the suspension, with the most room under the Maximum weight of the GVWR.
That might be a stripped down V6 with stiff springs.

Example from another digital autoblog penned by tech hipsters who can be preachy millennials.

q76fj08qgzkgito1b6bq.png

The dinky minitruck with its tiny engine, has stiff springs and makes it under the GVWR.
The loaded up F-150 has hundreds of pounds of options on it.
The Ford is VASTLY better truck to live in, way more capable in terms of towing, and you won't miss the theoretical gap in payload - as the F-150 would likely be better experience with the equivalent load.

The payload vs options thing is across brands.
Many a truck buyer has ordered out a fully optioned diesel F-250 platinum, and been shocked to find the payload is 1,900lbs.
They figured, the engine is shockingly powerful, doesn't that give it more payload? well it will accelerate no problem at all, but payload is a factor of a few things, and that big diesel engine is very heavy.
The stripped down contractor grade 6.2L V8 F-250 had a payload of 2,800lbs.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I'm pretty sure that's the difference between GVWR and GCWR

The gross combined rating is everything that engine can pull and the brakes can stop with.
Good engine and gear will get the load moving.
But payload is allll about GVWR. What's the lightest most stripped down truck riding on the suspension, with the most room under the Maximum weight of the GVWR.

Example from autoblog penned by tech hipsters who can be preachy millennials.

q76fj08qgzkgito1b6bq.png

The dinky minitruck with its tiny engine, has stiff springs and makes it under the GVWR.
The loaded up F-150 has hundreds of pounds of options on it.
The Ford is VASTLY better truck to live in, way more capable in terms of towing, and you won't miss the theoretical gap in payload - as the F-150 would likely be better experience with the equivalent load.

The payload vs options thing is across brands.
Many a truck buyer has ordered out a fully optioned diesel F-250 platinum, and been shocked to find the payload is 1,900lbs.
They figured, the engine is shockingly powerful, doesn't that give it more payload? well it will accelerate no problem at all, but payload is a factor of a few things, and that big diesel engine is very heavy.
The stripped down contractor grade 6.2L V8 F-250 had a payload of 2,800lbs.
Very good points and facts pointed out here that make a lot of sense!. So total combined weight rating...minus the vehicle weight ...pretty much equals the hauling ability (roughly) definitely explains how the 2wd can generally haul a little more. Either way...I'm happy with a 1800lb hauling capacity.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My parents have a 4 cylinder turbo Metris van with a 2,400 lb payload, but only a 5,000 lb towing capacity. It's not just weight, but also where it is distributed

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Best thing if you're hauling over a ton regularly... A tandem axle trailer. First, you can tow far more than you can haul. Second, breaking a trailer is almost always cheaper than breaking your truck. My friend has a tandem axle that I use whenever I need anything over a ton. It has a rating of 5500 pounds, but he and I have both used it for 6-6.5k before. I feel a lot better about replacing a $3000 trailer than a $60000 truck.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is no payload difference between 3.21 and 3.92

Payload is GVWR minus base weight.

The engine whether it be V6, diesel, or Hemi can move more than the GVWR of the truck...hence why we can tow. So no gearing is needed for payload. But...a V6 being lighter...will have more payload than a Hemi and the Hemi will have more payload than the heavier diesel. Also...a 2wd will have more payload than a 4x4 and a quad cab will have more payload than a Crew...once again because of base weight.

Make sense. Good.

The GCWR...gross combined weight rating...is determined by engine and rear gear. A Hemi 3.21 will have more than a V6 3.92 and a Hemi 3.92 will have more than a Hemi 3.21

Hemi GCWR is 13900 for 3.21 and 17000 for 3.92.

This is the total weight of truck and trailer and all cargo and passengers.

Hope this explains this. I have so many threads here explaining this...someone always poses the question a different way...but it is the same answer.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no payload difference between 3.21 and 3.92

Payload is GVWR minus base weight.

The engine whether it be V6, diesel, or Hemi can move more than the GVWR of the truck...hence why we can tow. So no gearing is needed for payload. But...a V6 being lighter...will have more payload than a Hemi and the Hemi will have more payload than the heavier diesel. Also...a 2wd will have more payload than a 4x4 and a quad cab will have more payload than a Crew...once again because of base weight.

Make sense. Good.

The GCWR...gross combined weight rating...is determined by engine and rear gear. A Hemi 3.21 will have more than a V6 3.92 and a Hemi 3.92 will have more than a Hemi 3.21

Hemi GCWR is 13900 for 3.21 and 17000 for 3.92.

This is the total weight of truck and trailer and all cargo and passengers.

Hope this explains this. I have so many threads here explaining this...someone always poses the question a different way...but it is the same answer.
Yes I already clarified above
Hope that makes good sense too

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online