5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 1500 can handle a heavy payload easily.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I put 3800 lbs of LVP flooring in my Laramie 1500 a couple on months ago and drove it 125 miles home...it was a scary ride. Rolled like a boat....
I would say you are lucky you didnt shear off your lug bolts.

Wow. That had to be something.

The usual rear axle weight is about 2200lbs empty...which gives a 1900 lb capacity.

You doubled that...i would probably delete your post before ramcares makes a note of it.

That was a very dangerous thing to do. Glad you made it safe.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s like 1500 pounds over payload of course it did
Way more than 1500 pounds over...and who or what was in the truck.

A Laramie...i bet payload is 1400...so 2400lbs over payload...he is really lucky those lug bolts didnt shear...there was no weight on the front tires...it is a wonder it steered or stopped at all

_StangPGH

Reaction score
I put 3800 lbs of LVP flooring in my Laramie 1500 a couple on months ago and drove it 125 miles home...it was a scary ride. Rolled like a boat....
Damn and I thought I was pushing it with 2400lb of pavers going about 5 miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

realralfy

Reaction score
Damn and I thought I was pushing it with 2400lb of pavers going about 5 miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Way more than 1500 pounds over...and who or what was in the truck.

A Laramie...i bet payload is 1400...so 2400lbs over payload...he is really lucky those lug bolts didnt shear...there was no weight on the front tires...it is a wonder it steered or stopped at all
Was me and my wife and a few personal belongings plus the flooring...I was told that the flooring would weigh about 2300 lbs. It squatted they truck pretty good so I knew it was heavier. When I got home I weighed a box and it turned out to be much heavier than they said. I way would I have done it knowing it weighed 3800 lbs....A tight butthole on that drive...

Steering was interesting at highway speeds, braking wasn’t an issue.

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently helped out my brother in law by picking up a pallet of flooring he had ordered.
The load worked out to be a pallet of 48 packs of flooring weighing 1,750 pounds.
The max payload is listed at 1,970 pounds for my configuration 2019 RAM Bighorn QC 4x4, 5.7 Hemi w/ 3.92 gears and limited slip.
I put 40 psi of air in the tires and the truck squatted down 3 inches but really just looked like a rear leveling kit was installed.
View attachment 66382
Nice! She looks just like my Bighorn! ... probably a good thing you don't have a front leveling kit on...might look funny with the payload in the back hehe!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently helped out my brother in law by picking up a pallet of flooring he had ordered.
The load worked out to be a pallet of 48 packs of flooring weighing 1,750 pounds.
The max payload is listed at 1,970 pounds for my configuration 2019 RAM Bighorn QC 4x4, 5.7 Hemi w/ 3.92 gears and limited slip.
I put 40 psi of air in the tires and the truck squatted down 3 inches but really just looked like a rear leveling kit was installed.
View attachment 66382
Stock passenger tires..?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's scary, Very scary, glad you made it home okay!
And the kick in the nuts? It's nothing in a trailer. 3800lbs on a trailer would have been beyond uneventful.

The load probably was sitting on the bump stops, and I'm guessing a lot of the "Swimming" feeling was the suspension being beat up, as well as the tire's sidewalls getting a ton of work.

Tires are inflated to handle the loads/weight they're expected to carry. For example, IIRC the power wagon and rebel run about the same size duratrac tires. The rebel calls for 55/45 PSI Front/Rear. The Powerwagons, last I'd heard, ran 60/60s all around. The power wagon is an offroader heavyduty truck. Other HD trucks might call for 60/80 Front/Rear

realralfy

Reaction score
That's scary, Very scary, glad you made it home okay!
And the kick in the nuts? It's nothing in a trailer. 3800lbs on a trailer would have been beyond uneventful.

The load probably was sitting on the bump stops, and I'm guessing a lot of the "Swimming" feeling was the suspension being beat up, as well as the tire's sidewalls getting a ton of work.

Tires are inflated to handle the loads/weight they're expected to carry. For example, IIRC the power wagon and rebel run about the same size duratrac tires. The rebel calls for 55/45 PSI Front/Rear. The Powerwagons, last I'd heard, ran 60/60s all around. The power wagon is an offroader heavyduty truck. Other HD trucks might call for 60/80 Front/Rear
Strangely there was never any bottoming-out or grinding, the suspension didn’t make any audible noises, and I watched the tire pressure, I don’t recall exactly but it didn’t go up that much...

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Strangely there was never any bottoming-out or grinding, the suspension didn’t make any audible noises, and I watched the tire pressure, I don’t recall exactly but it didn’t go up that much...

Well that's the thing, it probably never moved up or down, as it was likely on the bumpstops completely! 3,800lbs?
The truth is the suspension begins the sag process way way way before that, and getting every pound of payload in the bed of the truck (not dispersed) is kind of a toughy.

See Chevrolet is tacitly explaining that to truck owners with their new door sticker system.
2019-chevy-silverado-trailboss-payload-towing-1024x613.jpg

Notice the max payload and the max tongue weight (on the trailer hitch) are different.
At around 950 on the hitch, that truck is sagged into position. It's essentially saying, you may have 1635lbs of payload on the truck, but the suspension would appreciate not every pound of it in the bed or on the hitch. THAT capacity number could be closer to 900 - 1,200lbs. (Again the factory rake is built in by design to let the user know, at the point "hey that doesn't look right.." when the truck is pointing skyward, to back off the loading) .
The remaining payload capacity to ideally be spread out across passengers.

To hold 3,800lbs + the weight of the truck, those tires probably would have needed to have been inflated to their max PSI, if they could have to begin with. I mean 3,800lbs + half a truck is 3/4ton territory, we're talking thick E-rated tires running 60-80PSI. That is what an OEM would want for that duty. A P-rated tire running nowhere near that? Oof.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was me and my wife and a few personal belongings plus the flooring...I was told that the flooring would weigh about 2300 lbs. It squatted they truck pretty good so I knew it was heavier. When I got home I weighed a box and it turned out to be much heavier than they said. I way would I have done it knowing it weighed 3800 lbs....A tight butthole on that drive...

Either your trolling us with a good story or you are proof Guardian Angels ride with us.

Highway speeds. You should have blown a tire. And your lug bolts were screaming their heads off.

It is absolutely amazing you had no issues other than the steering puckering your butthole

realralfy

Reaction score
Either your trolling us with a good story or you are proof Guardian Angels ride with us.

Highway speeds. You should have blown a tire. And your lug bolts were screaming their heads off.

It is absolutely amazing you had no issues other than the steering puckering your butthole
No troll, it happened

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

You or your wife must have a guardian angel, or your math is off lol. A picture of this would have been awesome. Speaking of which I saw a Dakota the other day with over a ton in the back, if only I could have taken a pic. The front wheels were barely tickling the ground, proably much the way yours were

realralfy

Reaction score
You or your wife must have a guardian angel, or your math is off lol. A picture of this would have been awesome. Speaking of which I saw a Dakota the other day with over a ton in the back, if only I could have taken a pic. The front wheels were barely tickling the ground, proably much the way yours were
Math isn't off, the boxes of LVP weigh right at 50 lb each and there 76 of them...

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you throw your VIN # into this link at Ram, it will also give you your actual payload.

This thread makes me feel a little better about the 1200 lbs of landscape rock I hauled last weekend.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you throw your VIN # into this link at Ram, it will also give you your actual payload.

This thread makes me feel a little better about the 1200 lbs of landscape rock I hauled last weekend.
Just checked mine....didn't realize how big of a difference the 3.92 made over the 3.21. holy crap! 3,000 lb difference in towing, like 900lb difference in payload! Lol.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I remember with my 2016 Rebel the VIN lookup was a little inaccurate, if I remember right.

However this one is spot on. The "final authority" on our trucks, as we configured them, is on the door sticker in yellow

Users who are viewing this thread