5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain Sensing Wipers (Not equipped but have the part)

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the upgrade and used JScan. The menu on my 8.4 showed up immediately. Not working yet but going to let it rest over night.

JScan - adaptation
Radio user setting
Rain sensitive wipers on/off
Everything work out ok with it? Did you order part 68298334AA and did it come with the gel pack installed too like @OKRam1500 ?

Ken2021Etorque

Reaction score
Pop the cover to install the rain sensing wiper sensor and i dont see a plug for it? Do i need it? I know my windshield was replaced and now i see there was no sensor there at all

Attachments

• 20220705_130653.jpg
    20220705_130653.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 82

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone successfully added rain sensing wipers to a Big Horn Level 1 (with out auto-climate)? This was asked before, but there was no answer. I really appreciate it, and thanks for all the insights.

PS--I do have the small round clear hole in the windshield (left side of mirror when looking from the front). I have not removed the trim piece inside the truck. I do not want to until I am sure the mod is possible.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone successfully added rain sensing wipers to a Big Horn Level 1 (with out auto-climate)? This was asked before, but there was no answer. I really appreciate it, and thanks for all the insights.

PS--I do have the small round clear hole in the windshield (left side of mirror when looking from the front). I have not removed the trim piece inside the truck. I do not want to until I am sure the mod is possible.
The rain sensing wipers are WAY over rated. I never used it since it's not very reliable IMPO.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The rain sensing wipers are WAY over rated. I never used it since it's not very reliable IMPO.
Mine work great. I've never had to put it in manual even with a huge down pour.

Last edited:

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

Haven’t done it personally but this individual has claimed to do it by adding the missing section of harness. Ive chatted with him a few times on IG, and he mentioned doing this. I believe he is on this forum too, I just don’t know his user ID.

Attachments

• BBF69E07-E907-4305-BF74-46CF7A48B878.jpeg
    BBF69E07-E907-4305-BF74-46CF7A48B878.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 80

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Thank you @JBowman. I joined that Facebook group shown in the picture you shared.

I took the attached picture with my iPhone. Not great, but appears no sensor just the empty bracket. I’ll probably need the harness. I'm more likely to go big on this doing the mirror, auto-dimming headlights, and rain sensing wipers all at once. But since I’ve had my truck about one week, I’ll put this more involved mod lower on the list for the time being as I’m still getting through all the easy stuff. Side steps likely next.

Attachments

• 2FB18137-1696-498D-A13E-13F633195D2C.jpeg
    2FB18137-1696-498D-A13E-13F633195D2C.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 59

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe it’s hit or miss then but the last 2 Ram’s I had with auto sense wipers were atrocious, made me mad that is was even an option more than anything. Action when not needed & nothing when action needed - it could just never get into the right groove.

benb1976

Reaction score
On the question of just adding the rain sensor to a Ram Bighorn without an existing sensor (bracket already there but without a connector), I've looked everywhere, anyone know how to get a wire harness or to connect it?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the question of just adding the rain sensor to a Ram Bighorn without an existing sensor (bracket already there but without a connector), I've looked everywhere, anyone know how to get a wire harness or to connect it?
@Jimmy07 might have the answer.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Did you read post #206 above. The guy on the Facebook group includes the part number and explains how.

Here is a better Facebook link to his post.

benb1976

Reaction score
@22Ram1500InAR thabks yes I saw that but the mirror on his truck looks like it has less options than mine (I attached a pic of mine), I have lane keep assist, collision warning, and a sensor next to the empty bracket for the humidity rain sensor. I'm trying to determine what's the difference between the header wiring harnesses

I'm looking at a wiring harness for the header, which is more expensive than the other ones but the description at the parts website shows things like lane assist and collision warnings with the rain and AC that the Facebook post parts above didn't show in the description.

Part I have currently in my truck:
68474872AB

Part I assume might be for my options:
68474873AA

Part from the Facebook post:
68488874AA

Any way to determine which header wiring is correct?

Attachments

• 224421ED-5E0F-4995-A8E9-73EDD42AEF46.jpeg
    224421ED-5E0F-4995-A8E9-73EDD42AEF46.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
@22Ram1500InAR thabks yes I saw that but the mirror on his truck looks like it has less options than mine (I attached a pic of mine), I have lane keep assist, collision warning, and a sensor next to the empty bracket for the humidity rain sensor. I'm trying to determine what's the difference between the header wiring harnesses

I'm looking at a wiring harness for the header, which is more expensive than the other ones but the description at the parts website shows things like lane assist and collision warnings with the rain and AC that the Facebook post parts above didn't show in the description.

Part I have currently in my truck:
68474872AB

Part I assume might be for my options:
68474873AA

Part from the Facebook post:
68488874AA

Any way to determine which header wiring is correct?
That makes sense. Do you use this website?

Very informative. Luckily I think there are only three or so harnesses to pick from. Sometimes a leap of faith.

I don’t have the safety package options you have in your Bighorn. Might be rare to find someone who has done this mod with your specific configuration that can explicitly confirm. I’m adding this mod later, but that will not help you as I have the same mirror as the other fellow.

benb1976

Reaction score
That makes sense. Do you use this website?

Very informative. Luckily I think there are only three or so harnesses to pick from. Sometimes a leap of faith.

I don’t have the safety package options you have in your Bighorn. Might be rare to find someone who has done this mod with your specific configuration that can explicitly confirm. I’m adding this mod later, but that will not help you as I have the same mirror as the other fellow.

Yes I have been on the parts site and noticed the various build package options are listed for harnesses but alot of text there in the description!

What I did today was get on the dealer inventory site and find a new 2022 1500 with all the options I currently have (and wanted to add), and then called the parts desk at the dealer to see if any of the harnesses on my short list are assigned the VIN. The descriptions are confusing a little on the website but I found the first paragraph in the description ending with a period before a new line is accurate to the packages, and then all the gobblygook underneath is to be ignored (80% positive on this statement).

I verified the harness for the Limited with the parts desk and then had him double check the other two to see if they are matched the Limited, finding out that they were not. I then cross referenced my VIN verifying the harness part number to which I observed when pulling the right pillar/panel. Seems like each harness matches a set of options which makes sense, cheaper harness = less options, expensive harness = more options. I did some ebay scraping for actual images of the harnesss to compare the connector counts and shapes to see if the various harneses would match, and they all look like the same connectors, just more or less quantity depending on the options it supports.

Here is what I found on the parts site, four header harnesses, maybe someone can check my work here, Ive been juggling a day job today :)

Cheapest, just the mirror (25 bucks)
68488876AA - [DIGITAL REARVIEW MIRROR] OR [GNK].

Facebook post above, apparently no lane assist as per the photo (28 bucks)
68488874AA - [DIGITAL REARVIEW MIRROR] OR [GNK], [Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers] AND/OR [Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control].

My Bighorn with no existing Rain/Humidity sensor, but already has bracket (36 bucks)
68474872AB - [DIGITAL REARVIEW MIRROR] OR [GNK], [LANE KEEP ASSIST] AND/OR [ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL W/STOP and GO] AND/OR [Full Speed Fwd Collision Warn Plus].

Limited from the dealer Inventory website (49 bucks)
68474873AA - [DIGITAL REARVIEW MIRROR] OR [GNK], [LANE KEEP ASSIST] AND/OR [ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL W/STOP and GO] AND/OR [Full Speed Fwd Collision Warn Plus], [Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers], [Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control

So, I guess adding the sensor to complete my ATC mod, and/or enable Rain sensitive wipers to my specific package would mean I need to add the next level up harness which is 68474873AA, supporting the most options.

I dropped the front headliner via a youtube guide to see the feasability on replacing the harness, took me less than 30 min. Harness even just plugs into a slot in the side panel near the passenger vent. So seems pretty straight forward to swap the harness, add the sensor, and program AlfaOBD. Easy except I have a light tan headliner so need to have spotless hands for this one, and clean tools.

Hence I ordered the new harness and sensor with a gel pack today, and will see what happens I guess.

benb1976

Reaction score
New harness arrived! Here's a pic of them side by side. Looks like the new one 68474873AA has all the same connection points with only one extra connector for the rain sensor. It got dark so all I was able to do was install the harness. Tomorrow I'll finish up the install and hopefully things work 🤞

Attachments

• FBF2C70B-2099-4BAC-96D1-FC06DAAEA433.jpeg
    FBF2C70B-2099-4BAC-96D1-FC06DAAEA433.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

benb1976

Reaction score
New harness arrived! Here's a pic of them side by side. Looks like the new one 68474873AA has all the same connection points with only one extra connector for the rain sensor. It got dark so all I was able to do was install the harness. Tomorrow I'll finish up the install and hopefully things work 🤞

Happy to report that Rain Sensing wipers and auto climate controls work as expected :)

Modded the shroud to blank out the heated seats and wheel which I don't really need here in south texas. Should have been an option from the factory to just have auto AC in a basic form like this.

Attachments

• E30D3273-F4DE-471B-B96B-EC67A34E62B2.jpeg
    E30D3273-F4DE-471B-B96B-EC67A34E62B2.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 37
  • F53E4AD9-E408-43CC-A8A6-02D050C033E5.jpeg
    F53E4AD9-E408-43CC-A8A6-02D050C033E5.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 36
  • EB69C927-6ECF-437C-ACB0-F2A489DE0DD9.jpeg
    EB69C927-6ECF-437C-ACB0-F2A489DE0DD9.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

salmonbum

Reaction score
Guys I have a '20 Power Wagon and am getting the windshield replaced as I type. The sensor in the mirror is 68298468a and it shows as a rain sensor wiper. My truck is only level 1 and didn't think it had it. I do have alfaobd to make the changes if thats all I need.

joseph_butler

Reaction score
I did the upgrade and used JScan. The menu on my 8.4 showed up immediately. Not working yet but going to let it rest over night.

JScan - adaptation
Radio user setting
Rain sensitive wipers on/off
I used Jscan as well. Rain Sensing option popped up immediately after truck restart. Did you do anything other than change the setting in JScan? My rain sensor appears to still not be working. I haven't changed the part or the gel.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
I used Jscan as well. Rain Sensing option popped up immediately after truck restart. Did you do anything other than change the setting in JScan? My rain sensor appears to still not be working. I haven't changed the part or the gel.
Curious if you are able to tell if you have the right sensor. Do you have the sensor that supports only HVAC?

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Added the following to my Level 1 Bighorn:

Header Wiring Part #68488874aa
Rain Sensor Part #68298334aa

Changed the two settings in AlfaOBD as described earlier in the thread.

I now have rain sensing wipers.

Notes:
1. Take your time. Running the new harness is a little challenging. Removing the old harness was tough as was reassembling everything. Get a friend to hold up the sun visors when reinstalling. Leave two hours for this.

2. My new sensor included the gel pad. Although I had to run the new harness, and I do not have auto climate control, I feel that not having to clean out the old sensor was easier.

3. The passenger side panel below the pillar comes out easily. Just pull on it.

4. I spoke to a technician at Safelite auto glass. They install these sensors often. Keep that in mind. This is a mod you can do. The trim by the mirror is designed to come off and with a little wiggling it does come off somewhat easily. Anyway, this is a doable project.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/