5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio Recall....Just got it.....

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's okay, my truck is on 18.27.17 with BootMicro ver. 18.26.01 and EQ 3.4. Went to the dealership and got told I have to update my software to do the recall. Well I am out of the 3/36k. So i get to pay for my recall. Guess I will have to deal with my reverse camera. Kinda BS buying the truck doesn't provide you with software support.

Truck has always been serviced at Ram. So how is a customer suppose to know their software is out to date.
RECALLS do NOT have a limitation to your factory warranty...if you got the RECALL notice, it is covered regardless of miles and term. Now if it was a technical service bulletin, then that's another story.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
@securityguy
So the recall is covered, they clearly stated that. Just not the software update to get the recall OTA. So my software became out of date and since I am out of 3/36 AND my vehicle is not receiving OTA due to version. I have to pay for the dealership to install software updates.

Last edited:

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the recall is covered, they clearly stated that. Just not the software update to get the recall OTA. So my software became out of date and since I am out of 3/36 AND my vehicle is not receiving OTA due to version. I have to pay for the dealership to install software updates.
The recall update will install the latest software

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

timtlu

Reaction score
I had this issue off and on with software 18.45.40 but dealership said they couldn’t duplicate and didn’t do anything about it. I had a recorded a video for them. I just got the 19.49.13 OTA update about a month ago and it happened again the other day, recorded another video. My build date is July 2018 and doesn’t show the recall applies to my truck.
Hop into your truck and shift into reverse immediately, before the display finishes loading. Once you go into dive the rear camera display will stick. I could do this on command in my truck before the update. Had the dealer update while installing trailer brake controller and can't make it happen now.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
The recall update will install the latest software

That was pretty much my statement to the dealership. Their reply was I failed to update my software version, and since it is out of the 3/36 it is now my responsibility to update the radio software/EQ software. Then once software is updated they will perform the recall.

Then he went to explain that it would be if I had been racing my vehicle and damage was done due to racing. Then a recall affecting the engine would not be performed due to misuse of the vehicle.

Once he came out with that statement I knew there was no moving fwd.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
My previous dealership said they would assist. However I am in CA and previous dealership was in VA. Looking through the forum I see similar issues about how dealerships work with customers on a lot of issues. Some the dealership works for the customer and some the customer is a paycheck.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My previous dealership said they would assist. However I am in CA and previous dealership was in VA. Looking through the forum I see similar issues about how dealerships work with customers on a lot of issues. Some the dealership works for the customer and some the customer is a paycheck.
No dealership should give you problem for this issue, just go in tell them your there for W33 recall and nothing else. But I agree some dealerships are more customer friendly then others.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
@dts828 that is what I am doing. I think a found a dealership, a little further, that seemed to want to help. Just have to wait a week to get in. It's a smaller dealership.

Bram2019

Reaction score
@dts828 that is what I am doing. I think a found a dealership, a little further, that seemed to want to help. Just have to wait a week to get in. It's a smaller dealership.
Just so you know. Recalls are covered forever. The current radio recall applies if you are currently above app version KR20.16 and below LR34.2 If you are outside those parameters, it does not apply. My guess is they do not want to pay for the recall below this number because the backup camera works correctly below this number. That is all FCA is technically correcting, because it is a safety issue. If you get a tech that does not check first to see the software level, he may just try and push the software anyway. It will probably go. Just saw a picture of you current software. Technically the recall does not apply but you are on the exact app version KR20.16 which technically excludes your radio as the recall is currently written. The latest software will install properly, but will the dealer do it. Don't know. My guess is if you wait, the OTA update will update your radio when it comes out.

Last edited:

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
@Bram2019
Compared to most it seems like my truck is out of date. I have asked for updates when I would take it in for Oil Changes. Here is my current software. Also here is the email I got from FCA before I took it in.

Email:
Thank you for contacting Ram Customer Assistance and asking about any updates for your vehicle. I can understand why keeping up to date with them is important and I'm happy yo look into this for you.

When I researched this for you here Kory, I found that the dealership actually has an update for your vehicle. Sometimes we have ones that need to be put in through the interface and the dealerships are the ones that can do it. If you contact the dealership they can set you up with an appointment and get that taken care of for you.

At this time I will be closing this case but thank you again for your email. Should you require additional assistance, or have any new information to provide, please call 1-800-992-1997.

JR
Customer Service Representative
Ram Customer Assistance Center
rQxGwK7m5MLEEJ27ntiYCCyIHQhyogHXFRNGnyG-chr0GcR9ZVf4SIuSk038P7DZ42Shb58KKQ-4grFxJ6LXQ-IQ_YpR8Ibuvpyq2mIJOWBPC4fCU7hlwKSOUGLZPb-qZsjmrupcBjBvGYYAEkwrYe6ggOZTdetIVA=s0-d-e1-ft

Attachments

• 20200429_105905.jpg
    20200429_105905.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just so you know. Recalls are covered forever. The current radio recall applies if you are currently above app version KR20.16 and below LR34.2 If you are outside those parameters, it does not apply. My guess is they do not want to pay for the recall below this number because the backup camera works correctly below this number. That is all FCA is technically correcting, because it is a safety issue. If you get a tech that does not check first to see the software level, he may just try and push the software anyway. It will probably go. Just saw a picture of you current software. Technically the recall does not apply but you are on the exact app version KR20.16 which technically excludes your radio as the recall is currently written. The latest software will install properly, but will the dealer do it. Don't know. My guess is if you wait, the OTA update will update your radio when it comes out.

If my app version is LR33.3 the recall should apply to my truck?

I haven’t received a recall notice and nhtsb.gov website shows no open recalls for my VIN, but I had this issue as recently as Thursday. My dealership isn’t very easy to work with. Any advice?

Bram2019

Reaction score
If my app version is LR33.3 the recall should apply to my truck?

I haven’t received a recall notice and nhtsb.gov website shows no open recalls for my VIN, but I had this issue as recently as Thursday. My dealership isn’t very easy to work with. Any advice?
You could wait for the OTA flash coming shortly. It is possible that the VINs are being staged. The problem is the dealer can't get paid by FCA unless your VIN shows up on their VIN inquiry. The specific problem is the backup camera is staying on longer than the law allows. So it may not apply to your VIN and radio hardware. If you have something else in the backup camera happening, bring the vehicle in and have them figure it out.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's okay, my truck is on 18.27.17 with BootMicro ver. 18.26.01 and EQ 3.4. Went to the dealership and got told I have to update my software to do the recall. Well I am out of the 3/36k. So i get to pay for my recall. Guess I will have to deal with my reverse camera. Kinda BS buying the truck doesn't provide you with software support.

Truck has always been serviced at Ram. So how is a customer suppose to know their software is out to date.

Sounds like a non so atypical experience with Ram dealerships. :mad: @RamCares should help you with this and you should shame the dealership by posting their info.

rconiv

Reaction score
Just so I get it right, there is no way to force the update over the air, have to either take it to the dealership, which can be a hassle, or wait till FCA gets around to pushing the update, which depending on how long that is, could maybe be a violation of the recall, though they would probably come back and say, well you had the option of the dealership. My 2019 has a build date of February, and has the 12" screen.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just so I get it right, there is no way to force the update over the air, have to either take it to the dealership, which can be a hassle, or wait till FCA gets around to pushing the update, which depending on how long that is, could maybe be a violation of the recall, though they would probably come back and say, well you had the option of the dealership. My 2019 has a build date of February, and has the 12" screen.
That is correct, there is no way to force OTA update however viewing this thread looks like people starting to get the over the air update already

You can check this website if you want to verify that you are truck is part of the recall(if you didn't get recall letter) for the update. Just scroll down and enter vin.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Sounds like a non so atypical experience with Ram dealerships. :mad: @RamCares should help you with this and you should shame the dealership by posting their info.
Its AutoNation in Valencia. Currently being worked into another dealership in Ventura. I've also learned customer service varies from dealership to dealership and service rep to service rep.

Snwjnky

Reaction score
I received the OTA update, installed it in the run position till reboot.
Now Sirius doesn't finish load.
Tried the Signal Reset with Sirius.
Nothing.
Any ideas?

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I received the OTA update, installed it in the run position till reboot.
Now Sirius doesn't finish load.
Tried the Signal Reset with Sirius.
Nothing.
Any ideas?

From what I have seen it can take 24 hours to finish setting everything back up.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the update notification from FCA yesterday in the mail. They said it had been done via over the air. Apparently the notification was just to notify me that it had been done. Mine is a 2020 Laramie sport, built in August of last year.

What is your version # now?

Snwjnky

Reaction score
Unable to get the radio to talk with the Sirius satellite, or know what to do with the signal. This is after successfully installing the update OTA.
So I took it to the dealer to have them take a look at it, and also do the wiper recall.
Long story short. They couldn't fix it by simply reinstalling the latest software.
They're opening a Star case, and my truck is parked at the dealership.
Service Writer said, "I'll give you a call this afternoon to give you an update."
I was thinking, "No you won't."
I was ready to praise him for actually calling. But he lived up to expectations.
Wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread