5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio not turning off

60Vette

Reaction score
Weird experience yesterday with the radio in my 2 1/2 week old 2020 Laramie. The radio would not turn off, pushed the button a number of times, turned vehicle off, opened door and kept playing. Thought it might go off in a few minutes but did not check back. The wife walked by about 45 minutes later and heard it still playing. Told me and sure enough was still on. Push the button with no affect. Started engine and push button again several times to no avail. Turned engine off, opened door and kept playing. Finally decided to unhook the battery and reconnect it. Radio was off. Started engine, turned on radio and pushed button to stop, it worked, radio went off. Did the same procedure with unhooking battery etc. and still seems to be working properly. Do not wish to keep having to do this procedure if it will not turn off in the future. IDEAS?????????
Thank you for all the help.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
It should turn off after turning the engine off, and opening the door. Opening the door overrides the time you have set for power to stay on after turning off the engine. Yours definitely malfunctioned, but sorry I have no idea why. Can't imagine having to worry about this. Sounds like edge case SW bug. Good luck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This happened with my Laramie last November, a few weeks after I bought it. Radio kept playing even after shutting the engine off and opening the drivers door. I checked it again after about 15 minutes and it was still playing. So I started it up and drove it for a few minutes. When I got back home the radio shut off like it's supposed to do. It's only done that the one time, and I had forgotten about it until I read this thread. Hopefully it's a software bug like FastBlackRam suggested.

60Vette

Reaction score
It should turn off after turning the engine off, and opening the door. Opening the door overrides the time you have set for power to stay on after turning off the engine. Yours definitely malfunctioned, but sorry I have no idea why. Can't imagine having to worry about this. Sounds like edge case SW bug. Good luck.
Thanks for your response.

60Vette

Reaction score
This happened with my Laramie last November, a few weeks after I bought it. Radio kept playing even after shutting the engine off and opening the drivers door. I checked it again after about 15 minutes and it was still playing. So I started it up and drove it for a few minutes. When I got back home the radio shut off like it's supposed to do. It's only done that the one time, and I had forgotten about it until I read this thread. Hopefully it's a software bug like FastBlackRam suggested.
Thanks for responding.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Weird experience yesterday with the radio in my 2 1/2 week old 2020 Laramie. The radio would not turn off, pushed the button a number of times, turned vehicle off, opened door and kept playing. Thought it might go off in a few minutes but did not check back. The wife walked by about 45 minutes later and heard it still playing. Told me and sure enough was still on. Push the button with no affect. Started engine and push button again several times to no avail. Turned engine off, opened door and kept playing. Finally decided to unhook the battery and reconnect it. Radio was off. Started engine, turned on radio and pushed button to stop, it worked, radio went off. Did the same procedure with unhooking battery etc. and still seems to be working properly. Do not wish to keep having to do this procedure if it will not turn off in the future. IDEAS?????????

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score

I'm very sorry to hear this. If this ever occurs again please feel free to reach out.

Alison
RamCares

RamNV

Reaction score
60Vette, have you found the cause of the problem yet? I’m having the same problem on a new 2020 1500 LIMITED with 3k miles on it.

UDCentaur

Reaction score

Has the same issue you had a while back with less than 300 miles on it. I also u hooked the battery and left it for 10-15 minutes. Hooked back up and all was well.

No idea why - hasn’t done it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
60Vette, have you found the cause of the problem yet? I’m having the same problem on a new 2020 1500 LIMITED with 3k miles on it.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Has the same issue you had a while back with less than 300 miles on it. I also u hooked the battery and left it for 10-15 minutes. Hooked back up and all was well.

No idea why - hasn’t done it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

nufan78

Reaction score
I have a closely related issue with the 12inch screen not turning off. When I shut the truck off and open the door everything shuts off. The screen says RAM and shuts down, the difference is the back light of the screen will stay on for an undetermined amount of time. Just has a steady soft glow to the screen and then it will click to black. UConnect is not help since there is nothing they really technically can do for you. STAR is a pain in the butt to get them to want to do something for you and the dealerships can only do so much. I reached out to RAM Customer Care and UConnect. So far I have had the radio replaced, and some buttons that STAR says is the problem. Got my truck back 3 days ago and I didn't check it when I left the dealership. Today I finally drove the truck again and once again the screen stays glowing once the truck is shut off. I have taken the truck in more than enough to get fixed and to no avail. I spoke to RAM Customer Care today and they are closing my case even though there is still an issue with the radio. I guess back to the dealer again for what is probably the 8th or so time for the same issue.

RamCares

Reaction score
I have a closely related issue with the 12inch screen not turning off. When I shut the truck off and open the door everything shuts off. The screen says RAM and shuts down, the difference is the back light of the screen will stay on for an undetermined amount of time. Just has a steady soft glow to the screen and then it will click to black. UConnect is not help since there is nothing they really technically can do for you. STAR is a pain in the butt to get them to want to do something for you and the dealerships can only do so much. I reached out to RAM Customer Care and UConnect. So far I have had the radio replaced, and some buttons that STAR says is the problem. Got my truck back 3 days ago and I didn't check it when I left the dealership. Today I finally drove the truck again and once again the screen stays glowing once the truck is shut off. I have taken the truck in more than enough to get fixed and to no avail. I spoke to RAM Customer Care today and they are closing my case even though there is still an issue with the radio. I guess back to the dealer again for what is probably the 8th or so time for the same issue.

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

talpy

Reaction score
I have the same problem too. Ram 1500 limiteddt 2019. The radio did not turn off, and in the morning the battery was out. The problem is that the warning lights for the abs, esp, and the two cruise controls, and the anti-collision remained on.
Gianfranco from Italy

Sctdan

Reaction score
Same issue, brand new Bighorn 1500 which I have had for 4 days. Had a couple quirky radio issues when shutting off the truck, then yesterday I placed the truck in park; set the parking brake; turned it off; opened my door...radio still playing. Restarted truck and did it all again, radio still playing. Go into store, come back out...radio still playing. Get home, shut down the truck...radio still playing. After about 10 minutes and a few expletives being thrown about, I plugged my phone back onto the USB, with the phone attached, I shut down again and this time the radio shutdown.

Lrpilot

Reaction score
I’ve had two instances in the last week of my 2021 Longhorn doing the same thing — the radio and screen will not shutoff after engine shutdown and opening the driver door. Both times the only thing that would fix it is disconnecting the battery. Luckily, I was home both times that it happened. This would be a problem if I wasn’t near my wrench to unhook the battery cable. I guess I need to carry the wrench until there is a fix. 🙄

Has anyone found a remedy for this?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This happened to me a couple of years ago when the truck was fairly new. Just like that, it never happened again.
I’ve had a couple of software updates since then, so it could have been a bug. Who knows

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi @Sctdan and @Lrpilot ,

Are either of you working with your dealers on this? Our team would like to investigate these occurrences further. Please follow up via private messages at your earliest convenience.

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Ram Cares

Mbrinkhaus

Reaction score
Hi @Sctdan and @Lrpilot ,

Are either of you working with your dealers on this? Our team would like to investigate these occurrences further. Please follow up via private messages at your earliest convenience.

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Ram Cares
I had this issue today and figured out that the truck thought that there was an active phone call in progress. It appears to be an issue with Apple Car Play. To fix the issue, I plugged in the phone and made a call through car play, then ended the call. I was then able to shut off the truck and everything was back to normal. To check if this issue is the same as yours, try to power off the radio while the truck is running. You will get a message like “Not able to power off with an active call in progress” I got this message after shutting off the truck multiple times.

Users who are viewing this thread